Gamethread: 6/26/2011, 1:10 p.m.; Nationals @ White Sox

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:57 PM)
Where can I find pitcher's run support numbers? Looked on BR/Fangraphs and am coming up empty. Phillip has gotta be getting like three runs a game.

ESPN has them.

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 03:56 PM)
That doesn't mean they're useless or should be scoffed at.

I'll give you that, but everything now is sabermetrics, that's my point. Ok you can use them as reference but sheesh now a days is WAR, WUZI whatever

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 01:55 PM)
Olerud hit for a lot more power and got on base a lot more. There's a huge difference between a .400 OBP (Olerud) and a .340 OBP (Loney). Plus, Olerud was a great defensive 1B. Loney's just above average.

His career high in HRs was 24 and he only hit 20+ bombs in a season five times. He only had 100+ RBIs four times, and his career high was 107. And again, I realize the difference in OBP. This is mainly why I said the whole "poor man's" thing.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 07:59 PM)
I'll give you that, but everything now is sabermetrics, that's my point. Ok you can use them as reference but sheesh now a days is WAR, WUZI whatever

At least those who don't like sabes don't have to be inundated with them. The traditional media and play by play and color announcers ignore sabermetrics like the plague.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 03:59 PM)

Laughing at a stat doesn't make it useless. Why is "WAR" any wierder than "ERA"?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:59 PM)
ESPN has them.

Yeah, Phil gets 5.24 per game. 33 in Major League Baseball. Danks is the lowest Sox pitcher at 4.21 (7th lowest in baseball). 113 eligible players for the run support statistic, btw.

Somebody on this thread mentioned a long time ago none of the Sox hitters cept Paulie make adjustments.

Way to get shut down by this soft tosser.

Beckham needs to drill a gapper here!!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:00 PM)
Laughing at a stat doesn't make it useless. Why is "WAR" any wierder than "ERA"?

Because I still haven't figured out how on Earth WAR is calculated. Maybe I'd respect it more if someone could explain the concept. ERA, to me, at least measures a concrete thing.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 03:00 PM)
At least those who don't like sabes don't have to be inundated with them. The traditional media and play by play and color announcers ignore sabermetrics like the plague.

And for good reason, the average fan doesn't want to hear about WAR, wOBA, UZR and all these esoteric stats. It would bog down the broadcast big time and make it unwatchable for most fans.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 01:02 PM)
Somebody on this thread mentioned a long time ago none of the Sox hitters cept Paulie make adjustments.

Way to get shut down by this soft tosser.

Beckham needs to drill a gapper here!!

We haven't gotten the game breaking hit, but this team has had hits. Becks should be able to handle Livan.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 03:00 PM)
His career high in HRs was 24 and he only hit 20+ bombs in a season five times. He only had 100+ RBIs four times, and his career high was 107. And again, I realize the difference in OBP. This is mainly why I said the whole "poor man's" thing.

Olerud's .465 career SLG vs. Loney's .428.

Plus Olerud's Isolated Power: .170. Loney's: .141.

I don't think Loney's even a poor man's Olerud. I don't even consider them in the same stratosphere.

Olerud had some seasons where he displayed very good power. He had a .236 ISO and a .600 slugging in 1994.

Loney hasn't displayed much promise with the bat since his rookie season.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 04:03 PM)
I say Humber does the seventh, but I hope Ozzie goes to the pen for the eighth. Humber's at 86 pitches, so he should be on a short leash IMO.

With the pen the way it is right now, you have to push Philip until at least he gets in trouble. The 7th should be his and if we can push him into the 8th that'd be useful.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 03:02 PM)
Because I still haven't figured out how on Earth WAR is calculated. Maybe I'd respect it more if someone could explain the concept. ERA, to me, at least measures a concrete thing.

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/index.php/misc/war/

Wins Above Replacement (WAR) is an attempt by the sabermetric community to summarize a player’s total contributions to their team in one statistic. You should always use more than one metric at a time when evaluating players, but WAR is pretty darn all-inclusive and provides a handy reference point. WAR basically looks at a player and asks the question, “If this player got injured and their team had to replace them with a minor leaguer or someone from their bench, how much value would the team be losing?” This value is expressed in a wins format, so we could say that Player X is worth 6.3 wins to their team while Player Y is only worth 3.5 wins.

If you are curious.