Gamethread: 6/26/2011, 1:10 p.m.; Nationals @ White Sox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 08:06 PM)
And Viciedo takes over 2b?

Come on fathom.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 08:08 PM)
Omar and Lillibridge split time at 2nd. Viciedo gives you some more outfield depth as well.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 08:13 PM)
How about Mark Reynolds last year? Or Carlos Pena last year. They had power, but both were under the .200 line. And Reynolds was striking out at his normal lunatic rate.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 08:15 PM)
There are 139 different players who have put up a sub .600 OPS over a 400+ plate appearance season since 1980. Cesar Izturis put up a .545 OPS last year.

I don't care what you say, that wasn't hyperbolic. You come up with a good comeback on the 139 players but Dunn should be lumped right in with them.

I don't think Dunn will be sent down, but Fathom's theory is plausible. Oz loves Omar obviously. And Lilly can play anywhere.

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me or is anyone else getting real sick of Hawk in today's broadcast...and is anyone else noticing a fan saying "strike" every single time the ball crosses the plate against the Nationals? Just wondering.

Edited by MuckFinnesota

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:14 PM)
Only the pre-swing stuff. He's either wiggling the bat when he's getting read to swing or having it rest on his shoulder. That's the only alteration I've seen him make.

I wonder what Walker is trying to do with him. Maybe Dunn will refuse Walker's advice, and find himself in the same situation as Swisher eventually did...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:15 PM)
There are 139 different players who have put up a sub .600 OPS over a 400+ plate appearance season since 1980. Cesar Izturis put up a .545 OPS last year.

And even he'll give you the glove. Adam Dunn is one of the top 5 worst players in baseball and he's making $14 million dollars a year.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 03:18 PM)
I don't care what you say, that wasn't hyperbolic. You come up with a good comeback on the 139 players but Dunn should be lumped right in with them.

I don't think Dunn will be sent down, but Fathom's theory is plausible. Oz loves Omar obviously. And Lilly can play anywhere.

It's certainly Hyperbolic to say that Dunn is the worst in the last 30 years and then accept that he should be lumped in with that other group.

He can't be much much worse than them if he's in the group.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:17 PM)
That's a bizarre series though...Florida is playing a home series in Seattle because of a previously scheduled U2 concert.

that was why I thought Florida would have had a say in game time.

Maybe Joel Osteen was holding services there this morning

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 03:19 PM)
You're not angry that a guy with 21 RBIs has more votes than Konerko?

No, because the 4th and 5th all star positions are a crapshoot. If the Sox were winning more and putting more fans in the seats he'd have more votes. Hell, I haven't even put in my 25 votes yet and I'm not sure if I will.

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 03:18 PM)
Is it just me or is anyone else getting real sick of Hawk in today's broadcast...and is anyone else noticing a fan saying "strike" every single time the ball crosses the plate against the Nationals? Just wondering.

Yes, everyone has heard the loud fan.

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:18 PM)
I wonder what Walker is trying to do with him. Maybe Dunn will refuse Walker's advice, and find himself in the same situation as Swisher eventually did...

I don't think Dunn refuses. Walker was on the Score this morning and said he doesn't want Dunn to change anything drastic, because what he's done has worked for so long.

Walker does work with Konerko a lot and he says he tells Dunn to walk away when he's talking to Konerko about hitting. It might just be the opposite.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 12:17 PM)
wOBA actually weighs singles more than walks. In comparison, OPS says single = walk. So take it for what it's worth I guess.

Ya, I was speaking more to your standard number. But I also hold things to a principle which state that guys that hit that s***ty are going to hit real bad against good pitchers and tend to get most of there offense against bad pitchers. Which than means they are going to be pretty worthless late in games and in key-situations. That is because typically in those situations you have specialized set-up men in the games that are typically pretty decent (assuming it is a close game).

In short, I really don't like Dunn and have very little hope of him amounting to anything. I didn't like him at his prime, but I at least figured he'd hit 30 HR's with a crappy average and good OBP and I could have lived with that.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:19 PM)
And even he'll give you the glove. Adam Dunn is one of the top 5 worst players in baseball and he's making $14 million dollars a year.

Soriano was exactly that two years ago.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:14 PM)
Phil Humber ERA watch at 2.78 now. It's going to be hard to leave him off the all-star team if he keeps this up. Too bad there are a lot of quality starters in the AL.

Off the top of my head, I can only think of a few guys who are outperforming him by a good margin:

Beckett

Weaver

Shields

Verlander

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:18 PM)

Hawk is Hawk.

And yes, I can hear him

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)
One would think that's not even possible.

Sac flies.

Somebody needs to tell Morel to at least walk once in a while. It's embarrassing to have a ML hitter with no power and absolutely no ability to get on base on anything but singles and the occasional double.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 08:20 PM)
In short, I really don't like Dunn and have very little hope of him amounting to anything. I didn't like him at his prime, but I at least figured he'd hit 30 HR's with a crappy average and good OBP and I could have lived with that.

What do you think of this thought: Dunn is type of guy who if he just stinks the rest of this year and next year, he might just walk away from baseball and retire?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 01:20 PM)
No, because the 4th and 5th all star positions are a crapshoot. If the Sox were winning more and putting more fans in the seats he'd have more votes. Hell, I haven't even put in my 25 votes yet and I'm not sure if I will.

I haven't voted either and I won't. I just think the ASG voting is a silly popularity contest. I'm dumb for expecting fans to be honorable and vote for whom they believe are the best players, and not simply for who plays for their team, but still. It's just a matter of who has the more vote-happy fans.

Now, do you have that list of sub .600 OPS' since 1980?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:20 PM)
I don't think Dunn refuses. Walker was on the Score this morning and said he doesn't want Dunn to change anything drastic, because what he's done has worked for so long.

Walker does work with Konerko a lot and he says he tells Dunn to walk away when he's talking to Konerko about hitting. It might just be the opposite.

Did Walker get into details about what Dunn is doing wrong? I think that Dunn's long swing forces him to have to start his swing early, and his poor knowledge of AL pitchers and inability to time them is making him highly susceptible to swings at bad pitches and missing any ball with movement on it.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:23 PM)
Hey, I despise Soriano. But he's never been this bad (offensively). Not even close.

Their wRC+ is off by 5 points (Soriano had 83). Considering how much money Soriano makes, I'd say you got less for the buck with him.