Gamethread: 6/26/2011, 1:10 p.m.; Nationals @ White Sox

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 03:24 PM)
I haven't voted either and I won't. I just think the ASG voting is a silly popularity contest. I'm dumb for expecting fans to be honorable and vote for whom they believe are the best players, and not simply for who plays for their team, but still. It's just a matter of who has the more vote-happy fans.

Now, do you have that list of sub .600 OPS' since 1980?

I can do a search and get the numbers from baseball reference but I can't give you the full list without a subscription.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 08:18 PM)
I don't care what you say, that wasn't hyperbolic. You come up with a good comeback on the 139 players but Dunn should be lumped right in with them.

I don't think Dunn will be sent down, but Fathom's theory is plausible. Oz loves Omar obviously. And Lilly can play anywhere.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 08:19 PM)
It's certainly Hyperbolic to say that Dunn is the worst in the last 30 years and then accept that he should be lumped in with that other group.

He can't be much much worse than them if he's in the group.

Oops I mean Becks, not Dunn in my post.

And it is not hyperbolic as it is reasonable to assume Dunn might be one of the worst in 20 years unless one takes the time and has the ability to quickly find the list of hitters you found.

It was a reasonable assumption looking at Dunn's dead horrible stats. Perhaps he should have said worst White Sox player in 30 years getting the same number of at bats.

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:24 PM)
Did Walker get into details about what Dunn is doing wrong? I think that Dunn's long swing forces him to have to start his swing early, and his poor knowledge of AL pitchers and inability to time them is making him highly susceptible to swings at bad pitches and missing any ball with movement on it.

Not really. He talked more about Konerko.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)
What do you think of this thought: Dunn is type of guy who if he just stinks the rest of this year and next year, he might just walk away from baseball and retire?

Other than Dunn coming out of this and playing out his contract at least close to his career numbers (with a small decline for age each year), that would probably be the best thing that could possibly happen to the Sox. But how often does that happen. I'm sure he'd still want to get his money.

I really hope he figures this s*** out, but the longer you are like this, the more mentally you get f***ed up and then the only thing that can help is just a full off-season away from baseball. Kind of like what happened with Rios 2 years ago or Swisher a couple years back. Or even Konerko back in the early 2000's when he had that disasterous season.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 03:24 PM)
I haven't voted either and I won't. I just think the ASG voting is a silly popularity contest. I'm dumb for expecting fans to be honorable and vote for whom they believe are the best players, and not simply for who plays for their team, but still. It's just a matter of who has the more vote-happy fans.

Now, do you have that list of sub .600 OPS' since 1980?

Reminds me of 1989 when mike Schmidt retired the first week of may and the ding dongs voted him as a starter, he had to come out of retirement to play in the game

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 03:25 PM)
Oops I mean Becks, not Dunn in my post.

And it is not hyperbolic as it is reasonable to assume Dunn might be one of the worst in 20 years unless one takes the time and has the ability to quickly find the list of hitters you found.

It was a reasonable assumption looking at Dunn's dead horrible stats. Perhaps he should have said worst White Sox player in 30 years getting the same number of at bats.

Assuming that a player must be the worst of the worst because you don't know how to look for data is either hyperbole, laziness, or naivete.

He's been bad. Plain bad. People have been worse. Lots of people have been worse. Brandon Wood's epic .382 OPS last year was a pretty good example.

He might well be one of the worst ever to put up these numbers while being paid this kind of money. That narrows the list down considerably.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 01:25 PM)
I can do a search and get the numbers from baseball reference but I can't give you the full list without a subscription.

Bummer. I didn't even know you could subscribe to Baseball Reference. Is it worth it?

greg, will have to see how Dunn ultimately finishes. He's been 10 levels beyond embarrassing to this point. But if he keeps up this current pace, yes, I think it will go down as one of the worst all-around season's of the modern era. Even guys like Rafeal Belliard, the worst hitter I've ever seen, gave you above average defense.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 03:27 PM)
Or even Konerko back in the early 2000's when he had that disasterous season.

I point this out all the time it seems. In late 2002 he was playing through a broken foot that he didn't go on the DL for because of the pennant race. It was bothering him for most of 2003.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 07:23 PM)
Sac flies.

Somebody needs to tell Morel to at least walk once in a while. It's embarrassing to have a ML hitter with no power and absolutely no ability to get on base on anything but singles and the occasional double.

Pretty much. I wish he would have played today though considering he went 3-4 yesterday. Granted Teahen I guess deserved a game for his 3 run bomb the other night, and at least he has a hit today.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:28 PM)
Assuming that a player must be the worst of the worst because you don't know how to look for data is either hyperbole, laziness, or naivete.

He's been bad. Plain bad. People have been worse. Lots of people have been worse. Brandon Wood's epic .382 OPS last year was a pretty good example.

He might well be one of the worst ever to put up these numbers while being paid this kind of money. That narrows the list down considerably.

Adam Dunn will probably end up with at least 550+ PAs this year. You have to throw that caveat in there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 12:28 PM)

For the money, he's clearly one of the biggest busts of all times (in one season). But Jamie Navarro was terrible for the Sox. Mike Hampton was clearly a bust as well.

I will say this, when you add in the fact that he is a DH, this has to be the worse season out of any DH (to date) who gets paid this amount of money (injuries aside). And when I say this amount of money, I'm saying it relative to what the avearge payroll was during any one given season.

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 08:24 PM)
Did Walker get into details about what Dunn is doing wrong? I think that Dunn's long swing forces him to have to start his swing early, and his poor knowledge of AL pitchers and inability to time them is making him highly susceptible to swings at bad pitches and missing any ball with movement on it.

That's a great post IMO.

Paulie not starting the all-star game angers me. He is the definition of 'all star starter.'

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 03:28 PM)
It'd be a shame if Humber wasn't selected to the ASG.

He's got the 8th best ERA among starters in the AL and a lot of the guys in front of him have thrown more innings or have more wins (thank the 6 man rotation for that).

Win this game for him, pick up 1 more for him before July 3, and maybe get lucky with someone like Gio being on the Dl and he should be there, but there's a lot of pitchers having really good seasons

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)
Other than Dunn coming out of this and playing out his contract at least close to his career numbers (with a small decline for age each year), that would probably be the best thing that could possibly happen to the Sox. But how often does that happen. I'm sure he'd still want to get his money.

I really hope he figures this s*** out, but the longer you are like this, the more mentally you get f***ed up and then the only thing that can help is just a full off-season away from baseball. Kind of like what happened with Rios 2 years ago or Swisher a couple years back. Or even Konerko back in the early 2000's when he had that disasterous season.

Problem is, Dunn usually takes full off-season away from baseball.