Gamethread: 6/26/2011, 1:10 p.m.; Nationals @ White Sox

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 08:02 PM)
Because I still haven't figured out how on Earth WAR is calculated. Maybe I'd respect it more if someone could explain the concept. ERA, to me, at least measures a concrete thing.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 08:02 PM)
And for good reason, the average fan doesn't want to hear about WAR, wOBA, UZR and all these esoteric stats. It would bog down the broadcast big time and make it unwatchable for most fans.

WAR to me is a boring card game that some people actually, foolishly play in Vegas.

To play that game at a table in Vegas is taking your money and ripping it to shreds.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 03:04 PM)
http://www.fangraphs.com/library/index.php/misc/war/

Wins Above Replacement (WAR) is an attempt by the sabermetric community to summarize a player’s total contributions to their team in one statistic. You should always use more than one metric at a time when evaluating players, but WAR is pretty darn all-inclusive and provides a handy reference point. WAR basically looks at a player and asks the question, “If this player got injured and their team had to replace them with a minor leaguer or someone from their bench, how much value would the team be losing?” This value is expressed in a wins format, so we could say that Player X is worth 6.3 wins to their team while Player Y is only worth 3.5 wins.

If you are curious.

The statisticians do a lot to make the output of their formulas easy to understand (FIP normalized to ERA, wOBA normalized to OBP, WAR normalized to wins instead of runs). Yet, a lot of people still scratch their heads.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 03:06 PM)
WAR to me is a boring card game that some people actually, foolishly play in Vegas.

To play that game at a table in Vegas is taking your money and ripping it to shreds.

Say what you will, but these are time-proven statistics created by some of the smartest math people in the world.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 03:06 PM)

WAR, what is it good for? absolutely nothing!

Reminds me of Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker in Rush Hour, haha.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 08:07 PM)
Say what you will, but these are time-proven statistics created by some of the smartest math people in the world.

I agree the explanation somebody posted was pretty easy to follow.

I just always think of the bad card game when I see the word WAR

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 03:05 PM)
Dunn baffles me. Beckham, the technique issues are pretty obvious. Dunn looks just blind.

Blind is a very good way to put it. Once he starts his swing (and he starts it very early) it is going exactly on plane with how he started the swing. He might as well be blind as soon as he decides to swing. He's not watching the ball all the way to the plate, the way that good hitters will say they are doing when they are "locked in".

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 04:07 PM)

I give all the credit in the world to these stats...but yeah, I've gotta dispute you a bit there.

The B-R guys are very good. The world's best math people are a different level.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:04 PM)
http://www.fangraphs.com/library/index.php/misc/war/

Wins Above Replacement (WAR) is an attempt by the sabermetric community to summarize a player’s total contributions to their team in one statistic. You should always use more than one metric at a time when evaluating players, but WAR is pretty darn all-inclusive and provides a handy reference point. WAR basically looks at a player and asks the question, “If this player got injured and their team had to replace them with a minor leaguer or someone from their bench, how much value would the team be losing?” This value is expressed in a wins format, so we could say that Player X is worth 6.3 wins to their team while Player Y is only worth 3.5 wins.

If you are curious.

That whole bit about making sure the numbers are based not on league average but on replacement level, does that mean that a player is going to have a higher number if his replacement is worse? Of two otherwise equal players, one will be rated higher because his replacement is lousier? That seems silly.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 01:05 PM)
Dunn baffles me. Beckham, the technique issues are pretty obvious. Dunn looks just blind.

I don't know why. I thought Becks would actually be able to hit a soft tosser. Lord knows he can't get around on a good heater right now.