Gamethread: 6/26/2011, 1:10 p.m.; Nationals @ White Sox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 09:14 PM)
I never agree with the people who blame pitch calling for a bad result.

That was a terrible pitch selection. Changeup after the last changeup was blasted, when the Change is his 3rd best pitch?

After seeing Nix look pathetic against sliders today, I'm very annoyed that we threw him a change-up on Friday with Mr. Slider, Sergio Santos

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 03:16 PM)
Inexcusable manging here. Should have been pulled after the home run.

Can't pull him with no one ready in the pen. But at the same time, he probably should have had someone ready. Humber simply fell off a cliff.

Dammit Ozzie...we can't go down 4-1.

Yeah yeah yeah, Teahen brought us back once from that deficit, but it's not a habit you want to go get into when you have Pierre, Dunn, Beckham, Vizquel, Teahen, etc.

No need for Viciedo, though. Unless he's on that 25 man roster, KW.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 09:17 PM)
Can't pull him with no one ready in the pen. But at the same time, he probably should have had someone ready. Humber simply fell off a cliff.

Yeah, as much as it appeared he was losing it against Espinosa, I give Ozzie a pass for letting Humber try to go 7 scoreless. However, as we've seen all year, Humber hits a wall and hits it very hard. I'm still confused as to why we have 4 lefties in the pen now if Ozzie's going to be hesitant to use a lefty against a righty?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 04:17 PM)

This is not the first time Phil's hit a wall right at 100 pitches. Ozzie not having anyone up is just a mistake. You don't pull him before the HR, but after the guy walked that should have been it.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 03:11 PM)
That whole bit about making sure the numbers are based not on league average but on replacement level, does that mean that a player is going to have a higher number if his replacement is worse? Of two otherwise equal players, one will be rated higher because his replacement is lousier? That seems silly.

Replacement level is theoretical and it's a constant.

It's set at 20 runs produced (not runs scored, RBI, whatever), per 600 PA. It gets a lot more complicated with pitchers.

There's a reason WAR uses replacement and not average. Because if a player gets hurt and is replaced by a minor league player or bench player, you can't just say that he's average. Because most likely, he will not be average. So why not just place a mark and say, here is what a replacement player is? That's all it is. Of course, they didn't just decide on 20 runs per 600 PAs, that was all researched and formulated.

A team full of replacement players wins 48 games, usually (if you go by FanGraphs WAR). Really, replacement level is nothing but a placemarker. A lot of people have trouble imagining this and it's hard to just believe in an arbitrary number. I don't think it's a huge deal, since everybody's replacement level is exactly the same.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:03 PM)
Olerud's .465 career SLG vs. Loney's .428.

Plus Olerud's Isolated Power: .170. Loney's: .141.

I don't think Loney's even a poor man's Olerud. I don't even consider them in the same stratosphere.

Olerud had some seasons where he displayed very good power. He had a .236 ISO and a .600 slugging in 1994.

Loney hasn't displayed much promise with the bat since his rookie season.

Ok, maybe I was getting carried away by comparing Loney to Olerud. But nonetheless, Loney does not deserve to be compared unfavorably to Adam Dunn. Even suggesting Dunn as a replacement option for Loney is inappropriate as far as I'm concerned. Loney is far better, and cheaper too.

Well done Sale.

Really, the blame goes on nobody but the offense at this point. Humber threw 6 2/3, gave up 2 runs on 3 hits. He pitched phenomenally. You have to win when your pitcher has an outing like that.

I can say that I rarely second guess Ozzie. Because I usually detect trouble before it comes.

Ozzie should get the bullpen up. Humber usually starts to lose his effectiveness around the 90 pitch mark.
Edited by chw42