Adam Dunn: The Least Exciting Player Ever

LittleHurt05

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 08:17 PM)
What about not going from first to third on a single all season?

Definitely fat -- and not taking pride in his craft.

I think he's losing it -- and the Sox are stuck with an enormous contract through 2014, which will feel like 3014 by September.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL, ok Celebrity Fit Club. Great analysis.

Since we are on the subject of Dunn and I hate to bring up what if scenarios as hindsight is 20/20 but too bad KW was unable to make this trade: (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-12...ager-white-sox)

I saw an archived story from last off season that:

Sox offered Beckham, prospects for first baseman Gonzalez

Konerko's agent meets with Reinsdorf, assistant GM Hahn

December 06, 2010|By Dave van Dyck, Tribune reporter

ORLANDO, Fla. — It would have been a trade that shocked Chicago, South Side and North Side.

The White Sox discussed a monster swap with the Padres for first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, offering Gordon Beckham and two other prospects, the apparent "Plan B" if Paul Konerko would not re-sign.................

Just think if we could of had A-Gon and Konerko the 2011 lineup could have been:

Lillbridege -2b

Rios - CF

Ramirez - SS

Gonzales - 1B

Konerko - DH/1B

Quinten - LF

Vicedo - RF

AJ - C

Morel - 3B

who know, maybe Dunn will catch fire in the second half and KW calls up Dayan V and Bacon gets out of his funk as well.

Nothing new here, really, as far as Dunn's failure to hit. I just want to put my $.02.

- The numbers tell the story. He's hitting terribly.

- JR gets his $$$ back neither if Dunn keeps playing and becomes a hero, nor if he rides the pine all year, nor if he keeps playing and continues to stink. The "He makes too much money to sit," argument does not hold. Playing or not playing has to be decided based on something else.

- The White Sox will obviously be better if he gets back to the proverbial "numbers on the back of his baseball card," so the White Sox should do what they can to get him back. They are trying many things and, so far, nothing has worked. It is not for lack of trying or lack of caring or lack of the basic skills needed. As another poster said, it is a prolonged and awful case of the yips. Golfers will have it for a season and one failure makes the next more likely.

- The question to me, then, is whether the Sox can win this lackadaisical division without Adam Dunn. If they can, then he gets a little more time, then gets mostly benched in favor of somebody else playing DH (Viciedo, a rotation, something). If they cannot, they need to give him "forever" to get his head straightened. (Yes, I am one of those who think this is mental.)

- As fans, we have to decide if we get more pleasure now from booing him and bringing him down or from the potential future benefits of supporting him or, at least, being respecfully quiet. I do not believe he is lazy or lacks professional pride or commitment. I believe he wants to hit a baseball more than all of the rest of us combined. I believe the crowd's behavior makes it less likely he will succeed. The fans have the right to do it, but I think it is counterproductive. I also think that the longer term effects will be felt. When he starts hitting, and I think he will, he will be justifiably less close to the fans and the city.

- Lastly, as human beings, we are better when we are kind and understanding. (Yeah, I know... bleeding heart, unrealistic, one born every minute, join the real world, etc.)

QUOTE (ParkerBear7 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 10:17 PM)
Since we are on the subject of Dunn and I hate to bring up what if scenarios as hindsight is 20/20 but too bad KW was unable to make this trade: (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-12...ager-white-sox)

I saw an archived story from last off season that:

Sox offered Beckham, prospects for first baseman Gonzalez

Konerko's agent meets with Reinsdorf, assistant GM Hahn

December 06, 2010|By Dave van Dyck, Tribune reporter

ORLANDO, Fla. — It would have been a trade that shocked Chicago, South Side and North Side.

The White Sox discussed a monster swap with the Padres for first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, offering Gordon Beckham and two other prospects, the apparent "Plan B" if Paul Konerko would not re-sign.................

Just think if we could of had A-Gon and Konerko the 2011 lineup could have been:

Lillbridege -2b

Rios - CF

Ramirez - SS

Gonzales - 1B

Konerko - DH/1B

Quinten - LF

Vicedo - RF

AJ - C

Morel - 3B

who know, maybe Dunn will catch fire in the second half and KW calls up Dayan V and Bacon gets out of his funk as well.

Konerko would not have been back if they had traded for AGon.

Giving Dunn $56MM is one of the things wrong with baseball and wrong with our GM. Living in a National League city, I have seen Dunn try to play the game in the last couple of years, and he was awful. No National League team was going to give him any serious money, so his only chance was to get a DH gig in the AL. Who was Kenny competing against? Are there any full time DH's getting anywhere near the money that Dunn is getting? Big Papi maybe, but look at his record. Didn't Thome kind of set the market for this type of player?

I just don't get Kenny Williams. Regardless, I'll be at the games in Denver this week. Tonight, I'll be right behind the Sox dugout. At least, I won't have to watch that slug try to play baseball.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 10:03 AM)
Giving Dunn $56MM is one of the things wrong with baseball and wrong with our GM. Living in a National League city, I have seen Dunn try to play the game in the last couple of years, and he was awful. No National League team was going to give him any serious money, so his only chance was to get a DH gig in the AL. Who was Kenny competing against? Are there any full time DH's getting anywhere near the money that Dunn is getting? Big Papi maybe, but look at his record. Didn't Thome kind of set the market for this type of player?

I just don't get Kenny Williams. Regardless, I'll be at the games in Denver this week. Tonight, I'll be right behind the Sox dugout. At least, I won't have to watch that slug try to play baseball.

Hindsight = 20/20. Dunn's contract seemed like a bargain this offseason.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 11:05 AM)
Hindsight = 20/20. Dunn's contract seemed like a bargain this offseason.

Thank you.

It's no big secret that Dunn has kinda sucked, but to actually use that to go back to his contract being a major fail on Kenny's part is pretty lame. The offer he got was pretty much market value and with very few exceptions, there were really not many people here or in the media who had any problems with it.

Arguing that no one else would have given him such a contract and that KW was competing against himself is pretty short-sighted and laughable.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 10:30 AM)
Thank you.

It's no big secret that Dunn has kinda sucked, but to actually use that to go back to his contract being a major fail on Kenny's part is pretty lame. The offer he got was pretty much market value and with very few exceptions, there were really not many people here or in the media who had any problems with it.

Arguing that no one else would have given him such a contract and that KW was competing against himself is pretty short-sighted and laughable.

OK, while I agree with you guys in that I thought it was a good signing for a reasonable price, there were definitely people saying the opposite. They were in the minority for sure, but they existed. You can't just say "hindsight is 20/20" to anybody who mocks the signing, as they could very well be one of the people who was saying it from the beginning.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 10:51 AM)
OK, while I agree with you guys in that I thought it was a good signing for a reasonable price, there were definitely people saying the opposite. They were in the minority for sure, but they existed. You can't just say "hindsight is 20/20" to anybody who mocks the signing, as they could very well be one of the people who was saying it from the beginning.

I can think of one person who said that, and he was mocked mercilessly. if anyone else did say that, i want to see proof.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 10:52 AM)
I can think of one person who said that, and he was mocked mercilessly. if anyone else did say that, i want to see proof.

I know a couple of people said it in passing. Very few, like I said, and I don't recall any of them being everyday posters.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 10:30 AM)
The offer he got was pretty much market value and with very few exceptions, there were really not many people here or in the media who had any problems with it.

I was actually hoping he'd sign with the Cubs in the offseason since they were in the market for a 1B. I thought he'd fit in with their horrible team.

Edited by buhbuhburrrrlz

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 11:02 AM)
He's going to eventually snap out of it and then the other side of the conversation will gloat.

Even if he does snap out of it now, his contract will probably still a bust for this season. Either the Sox will have to win it all, or he will have to go on a second half tear of historic proportions. A typical Adam Dunn 2nd half doesn't make up for what he has done in the 1st half.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 11:51 AM)

I can remember maybe two people being against it at the time. But I did say very few. I know they existed, but it seems like all of a sudden there are many more who just "knew"

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 10:03 AM)

I don't get these posts, and there were a few. The "I saw Adam Dunn play in person in the NL and he sucked". So you saw him hit 40 homers, 100 RBI and score 100 Runs and thought he sucked? What?

And he doesn't need to have a historic 2nd half. He just needs to have an Adam Dunn average 2nd half and the team gets a massive boost. I refuse to believe her forgot how to hit all of a sudden.

Edited by Jenksy Cat

I hate to see Dunn going through this, he's always been one of my favorite players (mostly because of fantasy bb). You don't have the career this guy has had and just suddenly drop off to nothing, even if you put on 15 pounds of weight. I really think it's important not to discount what Frank Thomas had to say about the mental adjustments required to become a DH and how difficult those adjustments are to make. Now Dunn is trying to make those adjustments in front of a vocal and impatient fan base. He'll get it going.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 11:39 AM)
I hate to see Dunn going through this, he's always been one of my favorite players (mostly because of fantasy bb). You don't have the career this guy has had and just suddenly drop off to nothing, even if you put on 15 pounds of weight. I really think it's important not to discount what Frank Thomas had to say about the mental adjustments required to become a DH and how difficult those adjustments are to make. Now Dunn is trying to make those adjustments in front of a vocal and impatient fan base. He'll get it going.

Not that you're insinuating this, but why do SOME feel it would behoove us to stop booing and that would make him hit better? Farmer has already hinted at this. "The booing doesn't help." Cheering him as he whiffs three consecutive times against Livan Hernadez and his 72 MPH FB would help? The guy is paid mega bucks to produce. That's what this sport of baseball is. He has been terrible at every aspect of this sport. And the thing is, he only gets paid to do one thing: Hit fricking HRs. It's not April 19th. It's not May 8th. It's not May 29th. It's not June 25th. July 1 is right around the corner. How many more 0/4, 3 K games must occur before this guy can be classified as a bust, for this year, anyway. I have no problem with those that choose to keep the faith. No problem. Just no more shots taken at the fanbase because he's getting booed. He deserves every bit of it.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 11:39 AM)

Not that you're insinuating this, but why do SOME feel it would behoove us to stop booing and that would make him hit better? Farmer has already hinted at this. "The booing doesn't help." Cheering him as he whiffs three consecutive times against Livan Hernadez and his 72 MPH FB would help? The guy is paid mega bucks to produce. That's what this sport of baseball is. He has been terrible at every aspect of this sport. And the thing is, he only gets paid to do one thing: Hit fricking HRs. It's not April 19th. It's not May 8th. It's not May 29th. It's not June 25th. July 1 is right around the corner. How many more 0/4, 3 K games must occur before this guy can be classified as a bust, for this year, anyway? I have no problem with those that choose to keep the faith. No problem. Just no more shots taken at the fanbase because he's getting booed. He deserves every bit of it.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 11:55 AM)
Not that you're insinuating this, but why do SOME feel it would behoove us to stop booing and that would make him hit better? Farmer has already hinted at this. "The booing doesn't help." Cheering him as he whiffs three consecutive times against Livan Hernadez and his 72 MPH FB would help? The guy is paid mega bucks to produce. That's what this sport of baseball is. He has been terrible at every aspect of this sport. And the thing is, he only gets paid to do one thing: Hit fricking HRs. It's not April 19th. It's not May 8th. It's not May 29th. It's not June 25th. July 1 is right around the corner. How many more 0/4, 3 K games must occur before this guy can be classified as a bust, for this year, anyway. I have no problem with those that choose to keep the faith. No problem. Just no more shots taken at the fanbase because he's getting booed. He deserves every bit of it.

Excellent post.

Well, that and it's not like the guy was cheered like the 2nd coming of Christ the first month + of his being a White Sox player. He looks like a beer league softball player out there right now... completely clueless.

I have to imagine he'll turn it around, but I've never seen someone look this lost at the plate, and I've seen a lot of bad ballplayers in my 28+ years on this planet.

I'm sick of hearing "it's all mental." You know what, take some of that $14 million and go see a f***ing shrink. He went from Cincy to Arizona to Washington and there was seemingly no adjustment period needed, as all he did was rake. Now he moves to the big bad AL, where fans are a bit more vocal than those of the Reds D-backs and Nationals, and all of a sudden he needs to be institutionalized? Swing the bat and hit the ball, fatty.