Adam Dunn: The Least Exciting Player Ever

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 12:04 PM)
I'm sick of hearing "it's all mental." You know what, take some of that $14 million and go see a f***ing shrink. He went from Cincy to Arizona to Washington and there was seemingly no adjustment period needed, as all he did was rake. Now he moves to the big bad AL, where fans are a bit more vocal than those of the Reds D-backs and Nationals, and all of a sudden he needs to be institutionalized? Swing the bat and hit the ball, fatty.

Yeah, you clearly dont understand whats meant by the term "its mental." It has nothing to do with seeing a shrink. He's in a slump, he has the yips, it has nothing to do with being weak mentally.

And once again, maybe add something to your posts like what you may think it is keeping him from hitting. "swing the bat fatty" isnt all that insightful.

Here's an article from last week on some hitters that are also slumping

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/i...-will-break-out

Edited by RockRaines

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 10:03 AM)
Giving Dunn $56MM is one of the things wrong with baseball and wrong with our GM. Living in a National League city, I have seen Dunn try to play the game in the last couple of years, and he was awful. No National League team was going to give him any serious money, so his only chance was to get a DH gig in the AL. Who was Kenny competing against? Are there any full time DH's getting anywhere near the money that Dunn is getting? Big Papi maybe, but look at his record. Didn't Thome kind of set the market for this type of player?

I just don't get Kenny Williams. Regardless, I'll be at the games in Denver this week. Tonight, I'll be right behind the Sox dugout. At least, I won't have to watch that slug try to play baseball.

You do realize that Chicago is a National League city as well, right? I watched Dunn the last few years as well, several times in person and nothing he did with the bat could be characterized as awful. Was he a good fielder? No, but that's why he's a DH.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 11:55 AM)
Not that you're insinuating this, but why do SOME feel it would behoove us to stop booing and that would make him hit better? Farmer has already hinted at this. "The booing doesn't help." Cheering him as he whiffs three consecutive times against Livan Hernadez and his 72 MPH FB would help? The guy is paid mega bucks to produce. That's what this sport of baseball is. He has been terrible at every aspect of this sport. And the thing is, he only gets paid to do one thing: Hit fricking HRs. It's not April 19th. It's not May 8th. It's not May 29th. It's not June 25th. July 1 is right around the corner. How many more 0/4, 3 K games must occur before this guy can be classified as a bust, for this year, anyway? I have no problem with those that choose to keep the faith. No problem. Just no more shots taken at the fanbase because he's getting booed. He deserves every bit of it.

People pay to get a seat at the Cell, they're welcome to cheer or boo the players as much as they want. My point was simply that hearing a chorus of boos from a justifiably impatient crowd doesn't make a difficult adjustment any easier for Dunn. That's part of the game and something that Dunn needs to learn to deal with as a player, but it may be compounding things for him.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 10:32 AM)
I don't get these posts, and there were a few. The "I saw Adam Dunn play in person in the NL and he sucked". So you saw him hit 40 homers, 100 RBI and score 100 Runs and thought he sucked? What?

I saw him try to play right field, and he was awful. I saw him try to play first, and he was awful. He certainly wasn't going to get any better. Giving him that much money for that long blew my mind. No other DH is getting that, with the possible exception of Papi. And, he doesn't have a four year gig. My first negative post was in ST; like everyone else, I wanted him to do well. But anyone who can't run and can't field should not be offered a contract like his, 40 homers a year notwithstanding.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)
People pay to get a seat at the Cell, they're welcome to cheer or boo the players as much as they want. My point was simply that hearing a chorus of boos from a justifiably impatient crowd doesn't make a difficult adjustment any easier for Dunn. That's part of the game and something that Dunn needs to learn to deal with as a player, but it may be compounding things for him.

Well too bad for him. He needs to suck it up. It's not like he's a rookie and with the price to take a family of four to a game going up each year, I especially have no qualms about booing someone getting paid $15M/year who's deserving to make the league minimum.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 12:37 PM)
Well too bad for him. He needs to suck it up. It's not like he's a rookie and with the price to take a family of four to a game going up each year, I especially have no qualms about booing someone getting paid $15M/year who's deserving to make the league minimum.

Actually, it's too bad for us. He's getting his money either way, you're the one getting screwed out of the price of admission the longer this slump continues.

If I was Greg Walker, I would change a few things for Dunn. First, I would take the bat off of his back like he does when he is waiting for a pitch. That little Ozzie Guillen bat move is bulls*** IMO. Second, I would have him start his leg kick while the pitcher is in the wind up, to make sure he gets his damn foot down earlier than he is now as he is clearly off balance. This should keep his hands ready and possibly slow down his movement which could help him start to hit into left and left center.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 02:18 PM)
If I was Greg Walker, I would change a few things for Dunn. First, I would take the bat off of his back like he does when he is waiting for a pitch. That little Ozzie Guillen bat move is bulls*** IMO. Second, I would have him start his leg kick while the pitcher is in the wind up, to make sure he gets his damn foot down earlier than he is now as he is clearly off balance. This should keep his hands ready and possibly slow down his movement which could help him start to hit into left and left center.

I think there's a purpose to a guy like Dunn having the bat deep on his back. He's not a guy who takes the bat and quickly whips it through the zone (a-la Thome). He generates his power by having a big, long swing. If you shorten his swing by having the bat take a shorter path, you're liable to knock out his power stroke. (Yeah, yeah, I know the retort is that he doesn't have one right now).

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 01:07 PM)
Actually, it's too bad for us. He's getting his money either way, you're the one getting screwed out of the price of admission the longer this slump continues.

In other words, stop booing him because it isn't nice. Like you said, he's getting paid either way. But I'm certainly not going to cheer him when he's whiffing at an historic rate vs Charlie Hough clones.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 01:07 PM)

Please explain to me how the crowd is the root cause of his hitting failures.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 01:22 PM)
I think there's a purpose to a guy like Dunn having the bat deep on his back. He's not a guy who takes the bat and quickly whips it through the zone (a-la Thome). He generates his power by having a big, long swing. If you shorten his swing by having the bat take a shorter path, you're liable to knock out his power stroke. (Yeah, yeah, I know the retort is that he doesn't have one right now).

I'm sort of transferring that from the bat plane to a leg kick, hoping to elongate his movement a little to keep his hands back.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 11:55 AM)
Not that you're insinuating this, but why do SOME feel it would behoove us to stop booing and that would make him hit better? Farmer has already hinted at this. "The booing doesn't help." Cheering him as he whiffs three consecutive times against Livan Hernadez and his 72 MPH FB would help? The guy is paid mega bucks to produce. That's what this sport of baseball is. He has been terrible at every aspect of this sport. And the thing is, he only gets paid to do one thing: Hit fricking HRs. It's not April 19th. It's not May 8th. It's not May 29th. It's not June 25th. July 1 is right around the corner. How many more 0/4, 3 K games must occur before this guy can be classified as a bust, for this year, anyway? I have no problem with those that choose to keep the faith. No problem. Just no more shots taken at the fanbase because he's getting booed. He deserves every bit of it.

It's not specific to our fanbase either. EVERY fanbase in the sport would be riding him, and I'm willing to bet that quite a few would be worse. And I mean much worse.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 02:29 PM)
It's not specific to our fanbase either. EVERY fanbase in the sport would be riding him, and I'm willing to bet that quite a few would be worse. And I mean much worse.

Soriano thinks you're wrong.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 01:29 PM)

Exactly. He's had an epic bust of a performance in 3 months of baseball here. Probably the worst I've seen in my lifetime for a huge free agent signing and people are actually surprised he's getting booed?

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 11:32 AM)
I don't get these posts, and there were a few. The "I saw Adam Dunn play in person in the NL and he sucked". So you saw him hit 40 homers, 100 RBI and score 100 Runs and thought he sucked? What?

And he doesn't need to have a historic 2nd half. He just needs to have an Adam Dunn average 2nd half and the team gets a massive boost. I refuse to believe her forgot how to hit all of a sudden.

While I'm sure that he hasn't just lost it overnight, I'm sure there HAVE been instances of players in any sport that have done just that. Didn't it happen to Chuck Knoblauch?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 01:29 PM)

They'd have to do cavity searches of fans if this were Boston or Philly.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 02:31 PM)
While I'm sure that he hasn't just lost it overnight, I'm sure there HAVE been instances of players in any sport that have done just that. Didn't it happen to Chuck Knoblauch?

Which is an example of a player where it was totally mental.

I'm on the not booing side of the fence. I understand the booing but I don't like it. I just don't boo our guys. Two exceptions going back a few years, Jamie Navarro and Terry Bevington. Of the long course of my being a White Sox fan there have been plenty of under-achievers and sadly some guys who were just plain bad but I never booed any of them. I hated Albert Belle and didn't boo him when he was on the Sox. I'm not gonna cheer wildly for Dunn until he starts to hit but I won't boo him either. With each strikeout I'll just quietly shake my head in disappointment and hope that he doesn't strikeout the next time he comes up.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 01:36 PM)
I'm on the not booing side of the fence. I understand the booing but I don't like it. I just don't boo our guys. Two exceptions going back a few years, Jamie Navarro and Terry Bevington. Of the long course of my being a White Sox fan there have been plenty of under-achievers and sadly some guys who were just plain bad but I never booed any of them. I hated Albert Belle and didn't boo him when he was on the Sox. I'm not gonna cheer wildly for Dunn until he starts to hit but I won't boo him either. With each strikeout I'll just quietly shake my head in disappointment and hope that he doesn't strikeout the next time he comes up.

And, like J4L, I have no problem with that.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 05:04 PM)
I'm sick of hearing "it's all mental." You know what, take some of that $14 million and go see a f***ing shrink. He went from Cincy to Arizona to Washington and there was seemingly no adjustment period needed, as all he did was rake. Now he moves to the big bad AL, where fans are a bit more vocal than those of the Reds D-backs and Nationals, and all of a sudden he needs to be institutionalized? Swing the bat and hit the ball, fatty.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 06:31 PM)

Yes, I know this is a scary example, but Steve Sax suddenly forgot how to hit.

Guys finally just lose it.

Wow that first post was pretty nasty Jordan. Swing the bat and hit the ball fatty made me laugh for some reason.

Dunn is a bum but for some reason I feel more sorry for him currently than anger at him.

Watching him bat does sicken me, though.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 01:31 PM)

how about this for a June 30th stat line?

211ab 39h 3hr 17 rbi .185ba .255obp .265slg .520ops