All-Star Voting -- How Ridiculous is this System?

shago

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 12:05 PM)
Time for them to revisit how the voting works. Tired of seeing 5 Yankee starters including stiffs like Martin and has-beens like Jeter every year.

What's there to revisit? Either let the fans vote or don't let the fans vote. As long as there is fan voting, this epidemic will occur every year.

Time for them to revisit how the voting works. Tired of seeing 5 Yankee starters including stiffs like Martin and has-beens like Jeter every year.

The voting works fine. The fans like the Yankees and want to see them in the game. If you don't want all Yankee starters, then don't let the fans vote.

There is alot of things the MLB has to revisit. All star voting, gold gloves, etc.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 01:05 PM)

Usually you can make a case that the Yankees and Red Sox who are starting are guys who are having great years, and then Jeter, who's stuck in that Ripken-like "he's there every year" mode.

But man, I didn't realize Martin had gone downhill so quickly. He's sporting a .734 OPS. AJ's at .725 and has 50 more plate appearances.

You're starting 9 (per voting through June 21):

C) Russell Martin, Yankees

1B) Adrian Gonzalez, Red Sox

2B) Robinson Cano, Yankees

3B) Alex Rodriguez, Yankees

SS) Derek Jeter, Yankees

DH) David Ortiz, Red Sox

OF) Curtis Granderson, Yankees

OF) Josh Hamilton, Rangers

OF) Jose Bautista, Blue Jays

7 of the 9 are Yanks or Red Sox.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 01:02 PM)

SS) Derek Jeter, Yankees

DH) David Ortiz, Red Sox

One of the others is only on there because he was a heroin addict.

Don't just tell me how many are from boston/NYC. With the money those 2 teams spend, they should be.

Complain about the guys making it who don't deserve to be. Does ARod deserve to be there? He has the highest OPS of any 3b in the AL, and the only guy even close is Youkilis...who I think doesn't defend as well as Arod. Does Cano deserve to be there? 2nd highest OPS of any 2b, and 6 more HR than Kendrick.

Does Jeter deserve to be there? F*** no. Does Martin? No, should be Avila from Detroit...with a tossup between Martin, AJ, and Santana as the backup. But you know who else doesn't deserve to be there? Josh Hamilton, and his .868 OPS, and he's not a Yankee/Red Sox player either.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 01:02 PM)

SS) Derek Jeter, Yankees

DH) David Ortiz, Red Sox

Other than Martin & Jeter, all those players deserve to be there. And players like Jeter have been voted in throughout history, guys like Griffey & Ripken when they maybe were no longer deserving

edit: Well maybe not Hamilton, didn't realize he was struggling a bit

Edited by LittleHurt05

I don't care so much about the fan voting. Thats only 9 spots out of 35 or whatever the number is now. What I do think they need to get rid of is the "one guy must make it from every team" rule. If no one deserves to go, no one deserves to go. I remember how mad I was in 2000 when the Big Hurt didn't make it, but Fred McGriff did because of this rule.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
I don't care so much about the fan voting. Thats only 9 spots out of 35 or whatever the number is now. What I do think they need to get rid of is the "one guy must make it from every team" rule. If no one deserves to go, no one deserves to go. I remember how mad I was in 2000 when the Big Hurt didn't make it, but Fred McGriff did because of this rule.

The only guarantee should be the host team gets at least one, but I agree if the game is supposed to mean something take the most deserving players, regardless of team.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 01:32 PM)

I don't know about you. But I'm definitely looking forward to Chase Headley being selected to play in a game that's supposed to house the best (though I guess Heath Bell would make it in this case). Sad.

Edited by Jordan4life

Also, maybe don't open the voting ONE WEEK into the season.

Maybe wait till June 1st.

Here's my propositions that will NEVER happen:

- Voting Begins June 1st

- Voting can be done in ballparks as many times as you want

- Voting online is limited to 5 per IP address

- Players who have been on the disabled list for more than 30 days prior to June 1st are ineligible to receive votes and votes for those players will not count.

or

Just call it the FAN GAME from now on.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 02:03 PM)
Also, maybe don't open the voting ONE WEEK into the season.

Maybe wait till June 1st.

Here's my propositions that will NEVER happen:

- Voting Begins June 1st

- Voting can be done in ballparks as many times as you want

- Voting online is limited to 5 per IP address

- Players who have been on the disabled list for more than 30 days prior to June 1st are ineligible to receive votes and votes for those players will not count.

or

Just call it the FAN GAME from now on.

Lots of good ideas here. I especially like the waiting until June 1st idea. A lot of times guys who don't even start, are on the ballot because the ballots are made at the beginning of the year. If they play for the Yankees or Red Sox, they will get many votes. Jed Lowrie comes to mind from last year or the year before. He was like third in voting. Ridiculous.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 01:49 PM)
I don't know about you. But I'm definitely looking forward to Chase Headley being selected to play in a game that's supposed to house the best (though I guess Heath Bell would make it in this case). Sad.

Of the 8 qualified 3B in the NL, Headley actually has the highest OPS at .805. Sandoval, Wright, & Zimmerman haven't played in enough games, but they still have OPS less than his.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 01:31 PM)
Online ballots should have updated stats next to the players, I think that may help deter some people from blindly voting for a player from their team.

I think online ballots do offer stats now.

I really don't like the fact the game counts for homefield advantage in the WS.

It benefited us in 05 of course, but that just sucks.

I mean if the game really counts, then have the commissioner and the managers of teams with the five best records in both leagues pick the all star team in a conference call. Anonymity will be assured.

I mean we need to have the best f***ing teams with something as important as homefield advantage at stake!!

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 06:05 PM)

I agree. As long as you are a Yankee or a Red Sox player you are in like flint