All-Star Voting -- How Ridiculous is this System?

shago

Jeter goes every year just because he is who he is, but this year he is GLARINGLY undeserving. It's not even just a bunch of bloggers calling his decline now. I mean Jesus Christ, there's almost nothing he's good at anymore.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 05:10 PM)
Jeter goes every year just because he is who he is, but this year he is GLARINGLY undeserving. It's not even just a bunch of bloggers calling his decline now. I mean Jesus Christ, there's almost nothing he's good at anymore.

I consider http://forums.nyyfans.com/ the mother of all Yankee message boards. And even the bulk of that fanbase is appalled by Jeter winning Gold Gloves and inexplicably beating out the likes of Ramirez and Cabrera for the starting SS nod for the all-star game.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 01:19 PM)
The voting works fine. The fans like the Yankees and want to see them in the game. If you don't want all Yankee starters, then don't let the fans vote.

I totally disagree with that, Russell Martin is not worthy of starting, the all stat game is more of a popularity contest now than anything

QUOTE (MAX @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 11:45 PM)
This is a baseless comment. I think he is living off last year's amazing season, not his post addiction life.

It's not baseless at all. The only reason he's anywhere near as famous as he is now is because of his heroin addiction. Look at what Bautista has done, and he's still not even close to the commodity that Hamilton is. Now, imagine that Bautista overcame a meth addiction. He'd be everywhere (unbearably), just like Hamilton.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 11:53 PM)
It's not baseless at all. The only reason he's anywhere near as famous as he is now is because of his heroin addiction. Look at what Bautista has done, and he's still not even close to the commodity that Hamilton is. Now, imagine that Bautista overcame a meth addiction. He'd be everywhere (unbearably), just like Hamilton.

I don't agree. He was simply the best player in the game last year (or at least one of them). He batted .100 points over bautista last year and outslugged him. Hamilton has been doing well for a longer period of time.

If you guys are fixated on his past drug use, that's fine. I look at him as a baseball player and see him as perhaps the leagues greatest talent.

QUOTE (MAX @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 11:59 PM)
I don't agree. He was simply the best player in the game last year (or at least one of them). He batted .100 points over bautista last year and outslugged him. Hamilton has been doing well for a longer period of time.

If you guys are fixated on his past drug use, that's fine. I look at him as a baseball player and see him as perhaps the leagues greatest talent.

WE'RE fixated on his past drug use? It's the media that is. I don't give a s*** about his drug abuse and I don't want to be reminded of how he's a "hero" or as great "story" because of it constantly, but I am regularly.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 12:03 AM)
WE'RE fixated on his past drug use? It's the media that is. I don't give a s*** about his drug abuse and I don't want to be reminded of how he's a "hero" or as great "story" because of it constantly, but I am regularly.

Well if you weren't fixated on the media being fixated on it, maybe you'd notice that he is a great player. How many outfielders are there in baseball right now with a career ops over .900?

QUOTE (MAX @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 12:07 AM)
Well if you weren't fixated on the media being fixated on it, maybe you'd notice that he is a great player. How many outfielders are there in baseball right now with a career ops over .900?

Ugh, whatever you say in regards to the fixation part. And let's not forget that the guy has played just over 3 seasons worth of games. That takes a bit away from him being on the list of current guys with .900 OPS's. His current season isn't spectacular, and he's already been hurt again.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 12:26 AM)
Ugh, whatever you say in regards to the fixation part. And let's not forget that the guy has played just over 3 seasons worth of games. That takes a bit away from him being on the list of current guys with .900 OPS's. His current season isn't spectacular, and he's already been hurt again.

Well my argument is this - he wouldn't be the first player to make the all star game based on results from a year ago. He would be the first to make an all star game merely because he is a former heroin addict.

Edited by MAX

It can't really be proven either way. I just think that its more likely that people have taken notice over his 5 year career (though he has missed a lot of games) and are voting based mostly on the fact that he was the mvp last year.

So it was baseless to say that he is "only on there" because he was a heroin addict. However, his addiction problems may have aided him in votes.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 11:53 PM)

This is the perfect response. Bautista hasn't gotten half of the attention as Hamilton, despite playing 18 times a year against Boston and New York... That is saying something right there.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 07:12 PM)
I totally disagree with that, Russell Martin is not worthy of starting, the all stat game is more of a popularity contest now than anything

Of course it's a popularity contest, that's what happens when the fans vote. It has been like that for decades. Some all-time greats have started the All-Star game undeservedly as their career declined, but their popularity didn't,

MLB lets the fans decide the starters, and therefore Martin will deserve his spot if he wins the vote as the most popular catcher. It will never be about the players having the best season, until the fans don't vote and every team doesn't need a representative.