Rios benched for Lilli

southsider2k5

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 11:30 PM)
I can't think of a more glaring sign that your manager has lost his team than having to bench a starting OF during a game for loafing, only to then lose said game because the guy you brought in for the loafing outfielder was also loafing.

I'm not sure Lilli was loafing. Yea he didn't bust his ass to field that blooper but it's entirely possible he just showed his lack of experience. I doubt he was expecting Tulo to go from 1st to home on it. He probably just figured he's stop at 3rd. Looked like he was playing at no doubles depth so was pretty deep to start with.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 12:45 AM)
I'm not sure Lilli was loafing. Yea he didn't bust his ass to field that blooper but it's entirely possible he just showed his lack of experience. I doubt he was expecting Tulo to go from 1st to home on it. He probably just figured he's stop at 3rd. Looked like he was playing at no doubles depth so was pretty deep to start with.

Sorry...but that's a weak excuse. You bust your ass every play at this level....

Slightly different set of quotes here...

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/6229849-419...st-of-year.html

‘‘I was kind of glad,’’ Guillen said, ‘‘because I was suffering there with my coaches. We had opportunities. F--- it. Get the game over with, and we go home and hopefully get it

tomorrow. It was the worst game we played all year long. We had chances over and over and over, but we didn’t take advantage. You do that over and over again, the baseball gods get you.’’

‘‘Rios don’t run the bases; that’s why I got him out of the game,’’ Guillen said. ‘‘It’s not the first time it happened. I don’t like the way he runs the bases. .  .  . And that’s a message for everyone: If they don’t f---ing run the bases, their reputation comes on me, and I have a greater reputation in this f---ing game to do it that way. They don’t run the bases (see the subtle difference?), they’re out of the game. I don’t give a s--- if it’s Paul Konerko or Adam Dunn or anyone. You don’t run the bases, you’re out of the game.’’

Lillibridge described it as a weird play.

‘‘We’re playing no doubles in one of the biggest ballparks in this league,’’ Lillibridge said. ‘‘Once it stops, I have to make sure [i field it]. I can’t go in on a bare-hand sprint and miss the ball. .  .  . That’s a good call by the third-base coach there because he knew I had to break down and grab the ball.’’

After that, the Sox were just plain inept, going 2-for-27 in the sixth through 13th innings. Konerko and Pierzynski were each 0-for-5.

‘‘The way we played today from the first inning, I don’t think we should win this game at all,’’ Guillen said. ‘‘The only thing we did was pitch well. Everything else was very bad."

‘‘When they play like that, they should dress and leave right away. For one second we didn’t deserve to win. Very bad.

‘‘They struggle with men on third base with less than two outs. We [don’t] do the little things, and we expect to win? Hell, no. You play like s---, you go home like s---. What else you want to know?’’

I'm glad to hear Rios was benched for lack of hussle. I've seen it a few times already, including some DPs he should have easily beat out. As for Lillibridge's play at the end, my first reaction was that there was no hussle, and even a little giddy up would have made a much closer play. I don't want to believe Lillibridge was loafing, but I think it's pretty evident he wasn't hussling. Compare his reaction to that ball to those spectacular catches he's made this year. It wasn't the same outfielder.

Ozzie's 100% right they deserved to lose that game. I didn't even watch the whole thing and I saw more than a handful of wasted chances. If it wasn't for the pitching, they wouldn't have been in that game at all. And someone pointed out that the Sox have scored 3 or less runs in 49% of their games? That points out the miserable offense and the good pitching...without the pitching, this team is much further back.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 12:24 AM)
“"We played like (bleep), you go home like (bleep),"” said manager Ozzie Guillen, who pulled center fielder Alex Rios in the bottom of the seventh inning for not running hard. “"What else you guys want to know?"”

“"I don't think we should feel bad because we earned it to lose this game,"” Guillen said. “"We deserved to lose. I think the way we played from the first inning, I don't think we should have won this game at all. We had opportunities. The only thing about this game, we pitched well. Everything else was pretty bad."

"I don't know why those guys hang their heads over there when they played like that. Usually they get dressed and leave right away because I don't think we, for one second, deserved to win this game. The game finished the way it started, very bad. It’s nobody's fault. If they're going to blame anybody, they should blame everyone counting myself.”

As for Rios, "(he) don't run the bases,"” Guillen said. “"That's why I got him out of the game. It's not the (first time) its happened."

"They don't run the bases, they don't want to play or tired or hurt, that reputation comes with me and I have a great reputation in this (bleeping) game to do (the right) way," Guillen said. "They don't run the bases, they're out of the game. I don't give a (bleep) if it’s (Paul) Konerko or Adam Dunn or anyone."

"If you don't play the game right, you're out of the game."

chicagotribune.com/sports (Mark Gonzales)

THis should draw some amusing and somewhat hyperbolic commentary.

I'm giving Ozzie a standing O for this one.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 06:18 AM)
First of all, good for Ozzie for benching Rios. It needed to happen. Second, Lillibridge needs to be benched for what he did last night. He dragged ass and cost us the game. Punishment needs to be handed out evenly.

So you'd play Pierre in CF, Dunn in LF and Quentin in RF tonight?

Teahen in LF and Pierre in CF?

Bring up Milledge and put Rios on the suspended list (not that the union would ever let them get away with it).

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 11:59 PM)
Really. This is your final straw. Get a grip. And stop with the absolutes. You must of missed Rios the Toronto Blue Jay if this is the first time you have seen this before. Oh the outrage, the humanity.

If the rest of the team had greg's passion, we'd clearly be in first place and running away with the division.

I love you, my man, greg775!!!

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 01:45 AM)

I'm pretty sure you said he wasn't loafing and then went on to describe the way he loafed. He sure as hell wasn't busting ass to get to that ball. He made a big mistake and it cost us the game. There's really no excuse for it.

I don't care how weird that play was, Lilli got caught flat-footed. There's no excuse for a player to score from 1st on a bloop hit to center field. This team is pathetic. It's not like if he charges it it's going to fly past him, it would have bounced feebly on the turf and worst-case the guy scores from first which is exactly what happened.

There's just some bad juju going around with this ballclub.

Oh, and f***ing great, Pierre got a hit and dove for a ball to left that he didn't need to dive for, so he just bought himself the rest of the season.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 01:45 AM)

Lilli almost gave up an extra base in regulation too with his play in the OF.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 07:23 AM)
I'm grinning from ear to ear! It's about F-'in time!! It took Ozzie how long to see what the fans already saw?

I'm sure Ozzie has seen this for a while, he was just trying to take care of it in the clubhouse first.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 06:40 AM)
I don't care how weird that play was, Lilli got caught flat-footed. There's no excuse for a player to score from 1st on a bloop hit to center field. This team is pathetic. It's not like if he charges it it's going to fly past him, it would have bounced feebly on the turf and worst-case the guy scores from first which is exactly what happened.

There's just some bad juju going around with this ballclub.

Oh, and f***ing great, Pierre got a hit and dove for a ball to left that he didn't need to dive for, so he just bought himself the rest of the season.

‘‘We’re playing no doubles in one of the biggest ballparks in this league,’’ Lillibridge said. ‘‘Once it stops, I have to make sure [i field it]. I can’t go in on a bare-hand sprint and miss the ball. .  .  . That’s a good call by the third-base coach there because he knew I had to break down and grab the ball.’’

Guillen doesn’t believe in playing his outfielders deep at spacious Coors Field.

“Coming here, I think it was a mistake people made when they play deep,” Guillen said. “They make a big hole between the infield and the outfield. I think you should play normal. They played deep because the ball carries. Well, if the ball is over your head, it’s a home run. Make sure you catch the balls in front of you.”

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 07:28 AM)

Bring up Milledge and put Rios on the suspended list (not that the union would ever let them get away with it).

Put anybody out there that's going to play hard. I don't care if PK has to play CF. They have to set an example. Two guys dogged it in one game.

If you saw AJ's reaction, he sure thought Lilli wasn't busting ass. He immediately pointed to CF and started screaming.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 07:43 AM)
Put anybody out there that's going to play hard. I don't care if PK has to play CF. They have to set an example. Two guys dogged it in one game.

If you saw AJ's reaction, he sure thought Lilli wasn't busting ass. He immediately pointed to CF and started screaming.

I saw AJ's reaction. He was clearly pissed and rightly so. Last night was just a bad game.

"Rios don't run the bases and that's why I took him out of the game. This is not the first time it happened. I don't like the way he ran the bases. My players can be very bad .. and that's the amazing thing for everyone out there. They don't (bleeping) run the bases, they don't want to play or whatever, they're tired or just hurt, but if they don't run the bases, that reputation comes on me and I have a great reputation in this (bleeping) game to do it that way.

"If they don't run the bases they're out of the game, I don't give a (bleep) if it's (Paul) Konerko or Adam Dunn or anyone. You don't play the game right, you're out of the game."

Here's the FULL Ozzie quote on Rios from dailyherald.com

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 07:28 AM)

Sign Rob Mackowiak! In all honesty I think you put Rios back in there. He got benched, let's see how he responds.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 08:18 AM)
AJ didn't exact help much last night either...

There's no doubt. I was just talking about the last play. It's one thing to have a bunch of bad AB's. After all, he's AJ. It's another to dog a game losing play. That game last night seemed like a microcosm of the season.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 02:21 PM)
http://theghostofmoonlightgraham.wordpress...rade-alex-rios/

I think this article almost perfectly summarizes my feelings for Mr. Alex Rios. Enjoy.

Interesting that the writer correctly predicted the White Sox as one of his destinations. Laughed about the Cain for Rios idea.

It's also laughable that the Kenny Willimas apologists will use the "who would have known" argument when there are documented accounts like this that exposed players like Rios prior to that awful mistake in 2009 when we claimed him off waivers. Same thing with the reports that documented the long list of Peavy injuries prior to the trade for him that same year.