Rios benched for Lilli

southsider2k5

After last night, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if either Ozzie or Kenny resigns in the next couple of days. It seems like Ozzie has lost the team, and if Kenny feels like doesn't have the power to do anything about it he'll probably say the hell with it and leave himself.

That game last night was bad. And I feel like I'm one of the most optimistic people on this site. I mean seriously, I had no faith whatsoever that the Sox were going to win that game. I felt like they were just delaying the inevitable. I still have faith overall for the team, but I can only imagine how those fans that don't have faith are feeling.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 08:07 AM)
In all honesty I think you put Rios back in there. He got benched, let's see how he responds.

This.

He's clearly the most talented option out there. Maybe this embarrassment sparks something in him.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 08:56 AM)
How the f*** a guy like Brent Lillibridge isn't busting his ass completely on every single play is beyond me. Not that that shouldn't apply to everyone but God damn.

That was a sad and pathetic way to lose a game.

He and Rios literally lost us that game by not hustling. I'd rather have Adam Dunn and Juan Pierre sucking than to see that crap.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 08:57 AM)
He and Rios literally lost us that game by not hustling. I'd rather have Adam Dunn and Juan Pierre sucking than to see that crap.

I missed whatever happened with Rios and only saw a replay of the Lilli play, but that was heinous. He was trotting to a ball that delivered the game winning run. Give me a break. Everyone on the damn field should give it their all on every play, but espescially a bench player who realistically has proven nothing at this level. I love Lillibridge as much as the next guy but you can't give bulls*** effort like that.

He wasn't expecting Tulo to score? Who cares what you are expecting even if he was pulling up at third you should be huslting that ball back in to the infield. Inexcusable.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 09:00 AM)
I missed whatever happened with Rios and only saw a replay of the Lilli play, but that was heinous. He was trotting to a ball that delivered the game winning run. Give me a break. Everyone on the damn field should give it their all on every play, but espescially a bench player who realistically has proven nothing at this level. I love Lillibridge as much as the next guy but you can't give bulls*** effort like that.

He wasn't expecting Tulo to score? Who cares what you are expecting even if he was pulling up at third you should be huslting that ball back in to the infield. Inexcusable.

Not to mention that the Rockies had been taking the extra base the whole game whenever they got the chance. They ran hard all game long. It isn't like Lilli should have been surprised or something.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 08:18 AM)
AJ didn't exact help much last night either...

No, but one thing AJ does not do is dog it. He's a very streaky hitter and not a great RBI guy, so his high BA is a bit deceiving. But the guy doesn't slack off.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 09:03 AM)
No, but one thing AJ does not do is dog it. He's a very streaky hitter and not a great RBI guy, so his high BA is a bit deceiving. But the guy doesn't slack off.

AJ does do his own share of loafing. Watch him after he rolls over on a ball or pops up.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 08:56 AM)
How the f*** a guy like Brent Lillibridge isn't busting his ass completely on every single play is beyond me. Not that that shouldn't apply to everyone but God damn.

That was a sad and pathetic way to lose a game.

After the Lillibridge acrobatics in the batters box last friday to cost us the game I think we are seeing why he has not considered an everyday player

I think the White Sox just have a lot of players with a very low baseball IQ

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 09:26 AM)
After the Lillibridge acrobatics in the batters box last friday to cost us the game I think we are seeing why he has not considered an everyday player

I think the White Sox just have a lot of players with a very low baseball IQ

Is that a reflection of the coaching staff?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 03:23 AM)
It would have been lack of hustle if it's a legit benching.

I believe Ozzie was quoted as saying this isn't the first time Rios has not hustled? I think sometime these guys need a wake up call

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 09:32 AM)

No.

Not at this level. The coaching staff will try to help, but players are expected to know how to play when they're at this level. With a guy like Alexei the coaches are expected to help, and they have.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 09:32 AM)

nope that is a reflection of the GM and the organizational philosophy as a whole

we are now seeing the result of a GM and manager that go in different directions and try to masquerade their diffences with a high payroll.

I'm awaiting KW's response. It should be interesting.

On one hand, Rios is the poster child of what's gone wrong the last 2 1/2 years and that one's all on KW and JR. Even moreso than Dunn, he represents the "talented tease" this team has been ever since 2005. A collection of talent that's never seemed to be better than the sum of all its parts.

You just wonder if this will blow up into something larger or will it quickly settle down and be forgotten? With Peavy and AJ, beating the Cubs took all the starch out of the situation, but losing games (and especially to a Cubs team in free-fall this weekend) won't be so easily excused or overlooked by anyone.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 09:59 AM)
nope that is a reflection of the GM and the organizational philosophy as a whole

we are now seeing the result of a GM and manager that go in different directions and try to masquerade their diffences with a high payroll.

What?

So it's Kenny's fault that the team doesn't play the game right? I disagree but I don't wanna turn this into another Kenny vs Ozzie or GM bashing thread.

AJ was PISSED that we lost the game on a hustle play, and so was I. Clearly there are some issues in the clubhouse that need to be resolved. It could really go two ways, this could be handled in Kangaroo court and help the guys stay focused or they could argue and fight and this team will continue to underachieve.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 10:17 AM)
What?

So it's Kenny's fault that the team doesn't play the game right? I disagree but I don't wanna turn this into another Kenny vs Ozzie or GM bashing thread.

Who else in baseball had the brazen arrogance to actually believe they could turn around Rios' lackluster/nonchalant attitude about the game and make his contract a good one fo their organization to put on their books?

Only KW.

At least 75% of that has to go on him for the initial acquisition in the first place.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 03:03 PM)

You mean the guy who frequently starts rounding the base on a routine grounder so he has an easier jog back to the dugout? Very few players bust it down the line for the Sox. I know DA commonly refers to an article a few years ago where a scout said Sox were hardest team to get home to first times due to their lack of hustle. We all love Konerko, but let's not pretend like he doesn't do his fair share of loafing to first on routine pop ups. Maybe the one thing I admire about Jeter, besides getting to sleep with Minka Kelly, is that no one in baseball hustles more than he does.

This is an honest (and not loaded) question: at what point do we put Rios on waivers, and does anyone bite?

I have a real curiosity regarding the gamesmanship of placing a player on waivers. I've read in the past that almost everyone goes on waivers at some point but we just don't hear about it. I think I recall reading some posters on here that speculated that even players like Paulie were placed on waivers at some point, just not publicly. If that's the case, does the GM and manager let a player know they are being placed on waivers (even however unlikely they are claimed), and how does that affect how the player feels toward the team. I imagine that if Rios is placed on waivers and no one bites he would then be pretty upset with the organization, and it may further affect his hustle.

Not arguing should it be done but CAN it be done?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 10:32 AM)
You mean the guy who frequently starts rounding the base on a routine grounder so he has an easier jog back to the dugout? Very few players bust it down the line for the Sox. I know DA commonly refers to an article a few years ago where a scout said Sox were hardest team to get home to first times due to their lack of hustle. We all love Konerko, but let's not pretend like he doesn't do his fair share of loafing to first on routine pop ups. Maybe the one thing I admire about Jeter, besides getting to sleep with Minka Kelly, is that no one in baseball hustles more than he does.

Sorry, jogging back to the dugout or rounding the base after you have been tagged out on a routine grounder isnt exactly loafing, jogging towards a live ball in the outfield of the infield is. You will never see AJ dog it on a ball in play defensively, ever. He also was the main character in probably the best White Sox Hustle Play of all time in ALCS game 2.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 04:39 PM)
Sorry, jogging back to the dugout or rounding the base after you have been tagged out on a routine grounder isnt exactly loafing, jogging towards a live ball in the outfield of the infield is. You will never see AJ dog it on a ball in play defensively, ever. He also was the main character in probably the best White Sox Hustle Play of all time in ALCS game 2.

There's been a few times where AJ hit a routine grounder and didn't run full speed to first. One time this year, the infielder bobbled the ball and he was still out due to not hustling the entire time. The thing is though, 75% or more of MLB players do the same thing.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 10:39 AM)

This is what I was getting at about AJ. I haven't seen many players who don't jog down the line on a routine ground ball or a lazy pop up. Rios is a perfect example of a player who dogs it running the bases. I've seen several times when he could have beat out a DP and didn't.