Rios benched for Lilli

southsider2k5

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 07:12 PM)
i think the diving catch that saved the game in NY vetoes the boneheaded play last night.

I think he just made a stupid mistake (and he's trying to defend it, naturally) but I don't get the impression that he's a lazy guy. Not at all.

I agree with this. I think he got caught with his baseball IQ pants down. He should have sprinted to the ball harder, but it never occurred to him that the guy would attempt to score from first. When he picked the ball up, he looked to see what he should do with it. Like 2nd might have been an option, to nail the hitter if he was hustling to turn a single into a double. Simply stupid thinking. And while he is bending over, picking the ball up and then becoming oriented with his eyes, which of his teammates yelled 'HOME, HOME'? We've seen Lilli sacrifice his potential health by diving, ala Rowand into a wall. Nobody has seen any such passion for the team at personnal cost from Rios. Here's hoping that the Rios benching helps this team to catch fire. They sure need to collectively wake up. Rather than finding a way to win, they seem to find a way to lose. Perhaps they have reached a level of embarrassement, that will fuel a turnaround.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 01:11 PM)
Ozzie is so hypocritical on this issue, thats why no one respects it.

After they pulled Rios, half the team dogged it to first on pop outs, fly outs etc. That means the benching made 0 impact. Even worse, the player who replaced Rios didnt even give 100% on a live ball in extra innings.

If you are going to bench guys for not running to first base, you have to bench AJ, Konerko, Q, Ramirez and every other player who doesnt give 100% on a pop up.

If you want to bench Rios because he hasnt been performing, just say it. But all Ozzie did was create a double standard. My guess is that he has completely lost the team. I just get a terrible vibe from the entire team right now.

Like.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 01:11 PM)
Ozzie is so hypocritical on this issue, thats why no one respects it.

After they pulled Rios, half the team dogged it to first on pop outs, fly outs etc. That means the benching made 0 impact. Even worse, the player who replaced Rios didnt even give 100% on a live ball in extra innings.

If you are going to bench guys for not running to first base, you have to bench AJ, Konerko, Q, Ramirez and every other player who doesnt give 100% on a pop up.

If you want to bench Rios because he hasnt been performing, just say it. But all Ozzie did was create a double standard. My guess is that he has completely lost the team. I just get a terrible vibe from the entire team right now.

Of course he is, but he has to start somewhere. I don't know how long you have been following the Sox but if you were around for the last few seasons of Ozzie's White Sox career, you would know he's also being hypocritical because he used to jog to first base on routine grounders. Hawk of all people once called him out on it. I couldn't believe my ears. He said something like "I hate when he does that. He needs to run those out". Mild, but he did call him out.

But really you can't argue against pulling a guy not giving max effort.

Edited by Dick Allen

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,3398645.story

Ozzie officially backtracking completely on the idea he was sending message specifically to Rios and not to the rest of the team.

Hmmm. Doesn't make sense to single out ONE player, then cite examples that he hasn't hustled before, then turn around and say you're directing your anger about it towards the whole team.

No wonder our organization is foundering in complete disarray.

But Lilly is a major leaguer. He screwed up last night in an unfamiliar park.

Hope you're not trying to suggest the idea that Lili being benched/sent down would be justified. lol.

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,3398645.story

Ozzie officially backtracking completely on the idea he was sending message specifically to Rios and not to the rest of the team.

Hmmm. Doesn't make sense to single out ONE player, then cite examples that he hasn't hustled before, then turn around and say you're directing your anger about it towards the whole team.

No wonder our organization is foundering in complete disarray.

At this point now he's back covering for his player. probably as he should be.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 07:45 PM)
At this point now he's back covering for his player. probably as he should be.

You just don't know with Rios. Maybe that is the best approach for him, psychologically. But to show him wholehearted support, that hasn't seemed to have empowered him to play as well as he's capable of.

Look at the examples with Upton/Maddon and the situation down in Miami with Hanley Ramirez.

Perhaps because they're stuck with Rios over the duration of his contract, they can't force the issue in the same ways they did with Javy/Cabrera/Swisher.

Rios has had one very good play coming in on a ball, and a horrible misread that ended up in an XB hit and then his usual offense.

He does appear to be hustling more down to 1B, although one time it was because he smelled a base hit on a popup to 2B/RF.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 10:17 PM)
Can we splice Pierre and Rios's genes, put Pierre's brain in Rios's body? We'd end up with a Pinky and the Brain kind of situation, we can just DFA Pinky and keep the Brain, it'd be totally worth the cost.

Right Brain, but who would we get to wear the pants?

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 12:43 AM)
Hope you're not trying to suggest the idea that Lili being benched/sent down would be justified. lol.

Not at all. I think he's proven he's a major leaguer. Like a lot of people, I just think nobody in their right mind thought the runner could possibly score from first on a bloop single.

Tulo's play has to be the hustle play of the season. There was no hesitation. It's like he wasn't going to be denied.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 09:17 PM)
Can we splice Pierre and Rios's genes, put Pierre's brain in Rios's body? We'd end up with a Pinky and the Brain kind of situation, we can just DFA Pinky and keep the Brain, it'd be totally worth the cost.

Kenny would screw it up and do the opposite, and tell us he would do it again in a minute.

Ultimately leadership has to be internal. The manager can't bench everyone. The leaders of the clubhouse have to set the standard. I hate to bring up 05. It's cliche. It is the basis of what all future Sox team's will be judged by though. Say what you want about Crazy Carl... but I guarantee you somebody would have left with some hurt feelings or a black eye after Lilly's play.The players set the standard for what's acceptable. At some point in Everett's career, he decided that winning trumped everything. He was instrumental in that team's success. Ideally, Omar's that guy. But, leaders are born, not created.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 12:11 AM)
Ultimately leadership has to be internal. The manager can't bench everyone. The leaders of the clubhouse have to set the standard. I hate to bring up 05. It's cliche. It is the basis of what all future Sox team's will be judged by though. Say what you want about Crazy Carl... but I guarantee you somebody would have left with some hurt feelings or a black eye after Lilly's play.The players set the standard for what's acceptable. At some point in Everett's career, he decided that winning trumped everything. He was instrumental in that team's success. Ideally, Omar's that guy. But, leaders are born, not created.

I think 99% of Everett's leadership credit is BS. Where was his leadership when a 15 game lead dropped to 1.5?

I bet if you asked each member of the 2005 White Sox about Carl Everett's leadership skills, you would get more laughs than actual compliments.