THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER

whitesoxbrian

Peavy with less than stellar stuff but still mustered a somewhat okay start. Which makes us wonder whats the issue where there are days where he absolutely has no stuff (eg: Today and the game vs the Cubs) and others when he is lights out hitting 95 mph (Cle and the relief appearance vs the Nats). But none the less the team is 7-1 when Peavy pitches.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 04:53 PM)
Pierre and Beckham picked up the offense today! It would be such a blessing if those two can get it going at the top of the lineup.

Please please please Gordo, let this be a sign of things to come...

Rongey arguing that Viciedo won't make a difference to this line-up.

Ugh...same argument we heard that Kotsay didn't hurt the White Sox last year.

I was actually ALMOST thinking if Rios continues to struggle that I'd be okay with Pierre in CF and Viciedo in LF. ALMOST.

But how long can they keep trotting Dunn out there? If Lillibridge continues to slump, there's no other option against LHP (for Dunn), because you need Castro and Teahen isn't going to be starting against lefties, either.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 11:22 PM)

I was actually ALMOST thinking if Rios continues to struggle that I'd be okay with Pierre in CF and Viciedo in LF. ALMOST.

But how long can they keep trotting Dunn out there? If Lillibridge continues to slump, there's no other option against LHP (for Dunn), because you need Castro and Teahen isn't going to be starting against lefties, either.

They'll give him, IMO, the first series at home next week. If he struggles like he has been, then he'll get benched.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 05:22 PM)

Rios does not deserve to get benched. He's hitting the ball hard right now and whether he is loafing it or not, he is one of our two best defensive OF's.

Viciedo would certainly make a difference in this lineup, but unfortunately, Ozzie is not going to give up Pierre or Omar, so if he does come up, it's going to be at the expense of Teahen or Brent, both of whom deserve a legitimate role on this team because of their versatility.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 11:27 PM)
Rios does not deserve to get benched. He's hitting the ball hard right now and whether he is loafing it or not, he is one of our two best defensive OF's.

Viciedo would certainly make a difference in this lineup, but unfortunately, Ozzie is not going to give up Pierre or Omar, so if he does come up, it's going to be at the expense of Teahen or Brent, both of whom deserve a legitimate role on this team because of their versatility.

If you call up Viciedo, then I don't think you still have a need for Teahen. However, they're not going to move Teahen.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 05:28 PM)
If you call up Viciedo, then I don't think you still have a need for Teahen. However, they're not going to move Teahen.

If I had to choose between the two, I would send Omar packing and keep Teahen. But we know Ozzie's not going to do that to his hero Omar.

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 11:14 PM)
Peavy with less than stellar stuff but still mustered a somewhat okay start. Which makes us wonder whats the issue where there are days where he absolutely has no stuff (eg: Today and the game vs the Cubs) and others when he is lights out hitting 95 mph (Cle and the relief appearance vs the Nats). But none the less the team is 7-1 when Peavy pitches.

Didn't know they're 7-1...that's a very underrated stat.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 05:41 PM)
Didn't know they're 7-1...that's a very underrated stat.

I'm working on a research piece about pitchers who inspire victory. I'm really looking at guys who don't necessarily get a "W" but the team wins when they take the mound. Obviously, Jake Peavy is a focal point, especially this season. John Danks, on the other hand, is one of those guys who couldn't buy a win early in the season. Just seeing Danks and Peavy pitch on back to back days a few times, it was pretty clear who the team really rallied around. It's been an incredibly interesting stat to look at.

It's really sad that I can't get excited about Beckham just yet.

Even when he gets hits his approach screams lucky, and as long as Greg Walker is still employed and has Gordon's ear, I worry...

If he can hit like a .320+ clip for a few weeks, I'll get happy, but this team, this year.... lotsa let downs...

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 07:14 PM)

Today was a classic one bad pitch that the player really really earned. Like a 12 pitch at bat earned a long tulo HR.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 06:33 PM)
Today was a classic one bad pitch that the player really really earned. Like a 12 pitch at bat earned a long tulo HR.

That was an awesome at-bat on both sides. I wish it would have panned out in Peavy's favor, but that was a really amazing battle of a good pitcher and a good hitter.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 08:55 PM)
Yet, that is a skill Teahen doesn't provide. At all.

Exactly, if Omar is redundant, you want Teahen to provide something different. IMO, the two Brent's can do everything Omar can do with the exception of bat lefthanded. And if we've got Teahen, we've got that covered too.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 09:12 PM)
Exactly, if Omar is redundant, you want Teahen to provide something different. IMO, the two Brent's can do everything Omar can do with the exception of bat lefthanded. And if we've got Teahen, we've got that covered too.

I like Omar, but I wish he would retire.

But can Lilli play IF again after working on mainly OF?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 12:27 AM)

Nice to see Pierre and Beckham do so well. I refused to watch the game because of that godawful (on paper) lineup Oz threw together today. Though I did get back to a TV in time to watch Juan's blast off the fence. I was a little worried when Beckham almost got thrown out at the plate since that bomb kicked off the scoreboard perfectly to the right fielder.

Great pitching again aside from the one bad inning.

As far as Rios ... he is who he is. He's 0 for his last 11 after his hot streak in which he was 12 for 28 over seven games. is he hot or not? O for 11 is not good. 12 for 28 is good. His on base percentage for the season is .269; .593 OPS