Cowley vs SoxTalk

justBLAZE

Pierre can bunt but not for a sacrifice.

Ramirez and Beckham should never try to bunt again, unless it's on their own for a hit.

Morel can do it PRETTY well. Vizquel, obviously.

Not sure about Lillibridge...but it could have helped the last 2-3 times he's been up with RISP.

Ozzie has been adjusting to this problem by putting runners in motion a lot more often recently to avoid the double play....but we don't exactly have a roster full of contact hitters after Pierre, Vizquel and AJ. I'd feel fairly confident about Morel making contact, too.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 2, 2011 -> 02:34 AM)

Ramirez and Beckham should never try to bunt again, unless it's on their own for a hit.

Not sure about Lillibridge...but it could have helped the last 2-3 times he's been up with RISP.

Ozzie has been adjusting to this problem by putting runners in motion a lot more often recently to avoid the double play....but we don't exactly have a roster full of contact hitters after Pierre, Vizquel and AJ. I'd feel fairly confident about Morel making contact, too.

Believe it or not, the White Sox, even with Adam Dunn, have struck out fewer times than any other team in baseball.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 2, 2011 -> 01:31 AM)
Can I ask what makes Juan Pierre a leadoff hitter at this point?

I'm seriously tired of hearing: "who is going to lead off if it's not Pierre?" Do we need to replace his awful obp, 50 percent steal percentage, what the hell are we replacing and why the f*** is he still considered a lead off hitter?

This is something I totally agree with, although right now Pierre is on a hot streak. Wait until he goes cold again and its time to make a change.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 2, 2011 -> 03:34 AM)

I do love seeing that the oz is using the hit and run more often. We have good guys for it and it keeps working.

Wow, I really didn't think k-dubya was doing that great of a job these past few years. Most posters here said they had better track records. I guess it all depends on who is calling him out.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 2, 2011 -> 08:38 PM)
I'm not so sure.

They have to have another option at DH besides Lillibridge to bat against LHP.

If Dunn doesn't get a hit against the Royals, there's just no way I would keep him in the line-up when we play the Twins.

So then you think we'll DFA Bruney? I don't think Ozzie is willing to give up a BP arm, especially a RH with how much he has had to use Crain thus far. I am sure that is on his mind.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 2, 2011 -> 09:41 PM)
this asshat was on the Fox postgame show

Why is a guy from Pittsburgh who seems to dislike Chicago sports the voice of an expert on Chicago sports all of a sudden with the SCORE and now Fox

He even had a confused look on his face the whole game. You can see why he works in print.

I wish they would hurry up and find something physically wrong with Dunn, place on the injured list and bring up Viciedo. Surely they can find something wrong with him. Once again he not only struck out 3 times today, but he missed really badly on some pitches. Anything down and in with a wrinkle and he misses by a mile. It is more than embarrassing. When he gets over his hangnail affiction, or whatever, he can try to work out his swing in Charlotte.

Its obvious Cowley has submitted his membership application to the Guillen family, as he likes to rip KW every chance he gets, yet won't give him any credit for something positive like the claiming of Humber. Cowley said that was all Rick Hahn. I guess KW was out of the loop.

Considering all the schooling and dues on the job Cowley paid, I wonder if he finds it kind of disgusting he's now strapped at the waist with Oney Guillen, a guy he's clearly afraid to offend, and aims to please every White Sox piece he writes, even though Oney has the IQ of a grape.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 3, 2011 -> 10:11 AM)
Cowley is the go to guy for Sox coverage in this town and it isn't even close. It's nice to have someone call out KW there are enough who call out Guillen.

I have no problem having someone call out KW. I do it as well, but you have to be fair.

Cowley is Oney Guillen's ghost writer. Show me one thing where he doesn't praise Ozzie or said Ozzie made a mistake the last 3 or 4 years? He's afraid of Oney. If Ozzie was the mad genius he's made out to be by Cowley and knows what buttons to push and when to push them all the time, how come the team gets into the binds they are in almost every season?

According to Cowley/Oney, when things go right, its because Ozzie is a genius. When things go wrong, its because of KW.

Mark Gonzales is by far a better writer, and easily the best baseball beat writer in Chicago.

Adam Dunn is batting 3rd today. If he does well, Ozzie was a genius for batting him 3rd. He knew he would snap out of it. If he goes 0-4 with 4 ks, KW was the moron who gave him that contract and Ozzie is stuck with him.

I can see where some would like Cowley's White Sox stuff. Its for the same reason they like reading the National Equirer and Star Magazine for all their movie star news.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 3, 2011 -> 09:16 AM)
I have no problem having someone call out KW. I do it as well, but you have to be fair.

Cowley is Oney Guillen's ghost writer. Show me one thing where he doesn't praise Ozzie or said Ozzie made a mistake the last 3 or 4 years? He's afraid of Oney. If Ozzie was the mad genius he's made out to be by Cowley and knows what buttons to push and when to push them all the time, how come the team gets into the binds they are in almost every season?

According to Cowley/Oney, when things go right, its because Ozzie is a genius. When things go wrong, its because of KW.

Mark Gonzales is by far a better writer, and easily the best baseball beat writer in Chicago.

Adam Dunn is batting 3rd today. If he does well, Ozzie was a genius for batting him 3rd. He knew he would snap out of it. If he goes 0-4 with 4 ks, KW was the moron who gave him that contract and Ozzie is stuck with him.

I can see where some would like Cowley's White Sox stuff. Its for the same reason they like reading the National Equirer and Star Magazine for all their movie star news.

I just don't understand why neither Chicago paper can seem to hire an actual quality beat writer. Someone who actually understands the game of baseball, the business of baseball, and the what happens in the league and especially with this team.

Do baseball writers not get paid well? It seems as though covering the White Sox is these guy's second or third job or a hobby instead of what they do to make a living. Myself, and several others that post here regularly, seem to understand the game of baseball and the industry as a whole, as well as this ballclub, much more so than any White Sox beat writer I can think of within the last 15 years, and yet, we all actually have full-time jobs.

Very, very rarely do I ever read something from one of our beat writers that I did not know already, because it was obvious, or I just ignore it entirely, because it is so obviously ridiculous that one does not even need to finish the article to determine it is nonsense.

Cowley is the go to guy for Sox coverage in this town and it isn't even close. It's nice to have someone call out KW there are enough who call out Guillen.

Judging by the English being OK, I am going to say "Hi Joe" instead of Oney.

I was pretty goddamn sure you were a troll before. This post assures me of that. Joe Cowley is worse than Jay Mariotti. He's a gigantic piece of s***. f*** him and the horse he rode in on.

I'm not saying that I agree with everything Cowley has written however I will say this:

1. I think that since the end of the 2007 season until now Kenny Williams has been the worst general manager in baseball.

2. Viciedo would not make a difference on the Sox right now unless he was replacing Dunn which the Sox cannot do for obvious reasons (KW's screwup).

3. The Sox have no one in the minor leagues that would help the team - pathetic. Their system is a joke. There isn't anyone there that is going to be a star. This is on KW.

4. Ozzie is an excellent manager that would have many job offers. I don't believe that KW would be offered another GM job ever.

5. This franchise will continue to go down hill as long as KW is the GM.

Edited by WHITESOXRANDY

1. The worst GM in the game wouldn't have found Santos and Humber for free (basically).

2. The worst GM in the game might have let Carlos Quentin go during one of the two past off-seasons. Probably, he would have traded Danks as well for 3-4 prospects that would never pan out.

3. The worst GM in the game would never dare to trade for an "ace/former Cy Young winner" because he would be afraid of the contract and would play it safe instead of taking any risks.

4. The worst GM in the game wouldn't have dared to sign Viciedo.

5. The worst GM in the game would have turned the catching position over to Flowers instead of extending AJ.

KW will get another opportunity at some point, if he wants it. You don't put together a World Series dominating roster for $65 million with just complete luck.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 3, 2011 -> 09:03 PM)
1. The worst GM in the game wouldn't have found Santos and Humber for free (basically).

2. The worst GM in the game might have let Carlos Quentin go during one of the two past off-seasons. Probably, he would have traded Danks as well for 3-4 prospects that would never pan out.

3. The worst GM in the game would never dare to trade for an "ace/former Cy Young winner" because he would be afraid of the contract and would play it safe instead of taking any risks.

4. The worst GM in the game wouldn't have dared to sign Viciedo.

5. The worst GM in the game would have turned the catching position over to Flowers instead of extending AJ.

KW will get another opportunity at some point, if he wants it. You don't put together a World Series dominating roster for $65 million with just complete luck.

sweet post caulfield

QUOTE (ottawa_sox @ Jul 3, 2011 -> 02:58 AM)
I wish they would hurry up and find something physically wrong with Dunn, place on the injured list and bring up Viciedo. Surely they can find something wrong with him. Once again he not only struck out 3 times today, but he missed really badly on some pitches. Anything down and in with a wrinkle and he misses by a mile. It is more than embarrassing. When he gets over his hangnail affiction, or whatever, he can try to work out his swing in Charlotte.

Great post.

I truly believe we'd have a shot at least splitting with Minnie if only we'd bring up Dayan and DeAza.

Please do something, White Sox before our zombie offense gets killed by the Central Div. in the next 19 games.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 3, 2011 -> 10:43 PM)
Great post.

I truly believe we'd have a shot at least splitting with Minnie if only we'd bring up Dayan and DeAza.

Please do something, White Sox before our zombie offense gets killed by the Central Div. in the next 19 games.

No way. He has no business on a major league roster. At least not one that has playoff aspirations.