Cowley vs SoxTalk

justBLAZE

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 12:39 AM)
Which Guillen son wrote the review?

I can understand it, so none.

Here's the problem with Cowley. He's trying to be the new Mariotti, so we need to do the same thing and ignore him. It's as simple as that.

I made the mistake of reading this thread because it was posted in PHT, and it infuriated me. That's the exact response he's looking for.

Is it against the new rules to suggest that I would punch Cowley square in the balls if I saw him in person and then kick him in the throat while he was writhing on the ground?

FWIW are we really above questioning KW's decision-making over the past few years? Rios was worth the money? How about the Manny Ramirez Non-Experience? Swisher? Ken Griffey Jr.? Some would argue Peavy (I'm not one of them).

My sports-geek co-worker says that Dunn is an experiment and that experiment has failed. Moving an NL guy to the AL and a position player to DH. Whiff, and whiff. No pun intended. He believes the Sox should try and unload Dunn to an NL team for something in return. Although I don't know who would want him right now.

And why is KW once again airing this out in the press?

Edited by LVSoxFan

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 09:44 AM)

Here's the problem with Cowley. He's trying to be the new Mariotti, so we need to do the same thing and ignore him. It's as simple as that.

I made the mistake of reading this thread because it was posted in PHT, and it infuriated me. That's the exact response he's looking for.

Is it against the new rules to suggest that I would punch Cowley square in the balls if I saw him in person and then kick him in the throat while he was writhing on the ground?

As long as you actually do it, it is not hyperbole, and therefore I will allow it.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 12:21 AM)
Amen!

I have not read this guy in a month until this was posted and it's just a great reminder of why I don't read him anymore. He's just a jerk, or at least he tries to be, very hard. He strives to cultivate this aura of clever uniqueness but produces a stench of awkward desperation. He's as catty and spiteful as a prom queen and as sycophantic as a groupie. Remarkable that he's a sports writer in a town like Chicago.

Spot on.

Cowley reminds me of the heel wrestler in a low budget wrestling organization. I mean, he calls himself "The People's Champ" FFS...

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 08:44 AM)

Speaking of Mariotti, Is anyone from Chicago going to be at his trial? Ditka, perhaps??

Going to spend time with the family. You guys can go and lick your Bevington posters. I thought this was the smarter fan base ... my bad.

I thought Chicago newspapers had the ability to hire better writers... "my bad".

Hineybird version 2.0? Would like for him to disappear into oblivion like the last one.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 07:03 AM)
The 2005 offense was "good" because our relief pitching was insanely awesome. Easy to get away with scoring 3 runs in a game if your pitching gives up 2.

THANK YOU -- has everyone forgotten this?? I mean, it was arguably one of THE BEST runs by a pitching staff in post season in MLB HISTORY. Repeat: IN HISTORY. And that pitching staff is what pulled that gasping, sputtering, choking offense over the finish line when it was on the verge of an epic collapse...a collapse that I would've had a hard time getting over as a fan.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 06:04 PM)
THANK YOU -- has everyone forgotten this?? I mean, it was arguably one of THE BEST runs by a pitching staff in post season in MLB HISTORY. Repeat: IN HISTORY. And that pitching staff is what pulled that gasping, sputtering, choking offense over the finish line when it was on the verge of an epic collapse...a collapse that I would've had a hard time getting over as a fan.

PK really picked up the offense with some huge hits, but this is the same offense that won the opening game of the year, the first game after the ASB, and the last game of the year 1-0.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 12:47 AM)
I don't think ANYONE has a problem with Dunn getting days off. The problem is Cowley is going to argue we permanently bench Dunn and give up on him in favor of Viciedo, when you simply cannot do that.

What player would you get rid of to bring up Viciedo?

Probably Bruney, even though I do actually like Bruney. If the Sox are still running with a 6 man rotation, they have a long reliever in whichever starter is on his throw day, and that's really all you need that isn't bring provided. I have complete faith in Santos, Crain, Thornton, Sale, and, to some extent, even Ohman. The pitching is absolutely fine. What this team needs is offense.

Of course, that would be assuming Ozzie would manage it properly. I believe 100% that he would screw that up.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 03:26 PM)
Probably Bruney, even though I do actually like Bruney. If the Sox are still running with a 6 man rotation, they have a long reliever in whichever starter is on his throw day, and that's really all you need that isn't bring provided. I have complete faith in Santos, Crain, Thornton, Sale, and, to some extent, even Ohman. The pitching is absolutely fine. What this team needs is offense.

Of course, that would be assuming Ozzie would manage it properly. I believe 100% that he would screw that up.

The biggest problem with that bullpen is that, especially with Thornton's struggles...it's really weak against RH batters.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 02:36 PM)
The biggest problem with that bullpen is that, especially with Thornton's struggles...it's really weak against RH batters.

There are always going to be problems. I don't think this is that severe of a problem though. Sale, in his brief time up, has been just as effective against righties as he is lefties, Thornton isn't terrible (but isn't someone you want facing Miguel Cabrera with the game on the line), and both Crain and Santos are very good. That's 3 viable options.

The ideal scenario would be to find a taker for Teahen, but that's simply not going to happen without the Sox picking up a sizable portion of his contract (which, quite frankly, wouldn't be a bad idea either). Dunn will be available as a pinch hitter on a lot of nights and Vizquel can still hit a bit too, so there isn't a huge need for a lefty off the bench. I don't think they can justify getting rid of Pierre now, even as mediocre as he is, and you obviously cannot get rid of Dunn (nor do I think that would be smart).

I'm not sure exactly. I do know that Viciedo on this team would do a hell of a lot of good.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 08:26 PM)

I don't see how we can dump Bruney at this juncture.

Regarding your last line, I love Ozzie but one thing I don't understand. You can't order guys to bunt on our team because they are unable to execute the bunt. If Dayan comes up, he'll probably have him bunt.

I mean Gordon's bunt attempts today were laughable. He does not know how to bunt. Lexi can't bunt.

Even Pierre is not automatic at getting it down. I see a lot of foul balls.

I would think the only guys I would even consider flashing the bunt sign to are Pierre and Omar.

I have advocated the bunt before and defended Oz on it, but failure after failure makes me say OZZIE NO MORE BUNTS! And yes, I realize we hit into A LOT of double plays when we don't bunt.

p.s. Do you guys think we can become a home run hitting team the second half? Do u agree it is the only way we can consistently score (to go with nice AJ singles)?

Edited by greg775

The only time the White Sox should ever, ever bunt is when they are down by 1 run late in the game. That's the only time any team should ever bunt. Bunting increases the likelihood that you will score 1 run, but decreases the likelihood that you will score multiple runs. I'd have absolutely no problem never having the Sox bunt unless it is a late game situation.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 11:55 PM)
The only time the White Sox should ever, ever bunt is when they are down by 1 run late in the game. That's the only time any team should ever bunt. Bunting increases the likelihood that you will score 1 run, but decreases the likelihood that you will score multiple runs. I'd have absolutely no problem never having the Sox bunt unless it is a late game situation.

You wouldn't want them to bunt in a tie game, no outs with a runner on second, and sergio santos coming in to close the game in the next inning? I think I would.

Well, I'd want a few of them to bunt.

Edited by MAX

Can I ask what makes Juan Pierre a leadoff hitter at this point?

I'm seriously tired of hearing: "who is going to lead off if it's not Pierre?" Do we need to replace his awful obp, 50 percent steal percentage, what the hell are we replacing and why the f*** is he still considered a lead off hitter?