Cowley vs SoxTalk

justBLAZE

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Jul 3, 2011 -> 06:42 PM)
I'm not saying that I agree with everything Cowley has written however I will say this:

1. I think that since the end of the 2007 season until now Kenny Williams has been the worst general manager in baseball.

2. Viciedo would not make a difference on the Sox right now unless he was replacing Dunn which the Sox cannot do for obvious reasons (KW's screwup).

3. The Sox have no one in the minor leagues that would help the team - pathetic. Their system is a joke. There isn't anyone there that is going to be a star. This is on KW.

4. Ozzie is an excellent manager that would have many job offers. I don't believe that KW would be offered another GM job ever.

5. This franchise will continue to go down hill as long as KW is the GM.

Viciedo would not make difference over Juan Pierre? Please don't give me that "who would leadoff" crap because somehow the Sox are 4-1 when Pierre doesn't play.

Ozzie wouldn't have a lot of managerial offers. Florida wants him but not because of his baseball acumen. Its because of the box office.

Why is the Sox plight all on KW? Again, KW was apparently wrong to sign Adam Dunn, but after 80 games or so of hitting like a pitcher, why is the genius Ozzie batting him 3rd in the line up? The reality is if there is a fool here, there are at least two. If Jerry Manuel was managing the White Sox or Terry Bevington, as Cowley thinks Sox fans deserve, if Dunn hit 3rd for them, he and the rest of the world would be all over the manager for making that happen.

Its funny Cowley mentioned Bevington, but really except for 2005 what's the difference? Bevington was above .500 as the White Sox manager and finished in second place the 2 full seasons he managed. The Indians were stacked back then, so there's a built in excuse not to win. He went to the mound to change pitchers with nobody warming up, Ozzie has a guy who hasn't hit for a year bat 3rd, Seems similar to me. If you believe Cowley, and his source is his Twitter buddy Oney, there still remains a lot of tension between OG and KW. Is it beyond Ozzie who seems pretty childish to me to bat Dunn 3rd just to throw KW under the bus?

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 12:28 AM)
I don't understand how these writers can be so shortsighted.

Adam Dunn is owed approximately $49 million for the remainder of his contract here. But yeah, he's struggled terrible for 80 games, so let's just bench him permanently. Makes a ton of sense.

These guys are absolute fools. If it were up to them, we'd have half the payroll spent on paying players in other organizations because we DFA'd them after 30 games.

It has become a disposable society. I want it and I want it now.

QUOTE (since56 @ Jul 4, 2011 -> 06:15 AM)
It has become a disposable society. I want it and I want it now.

What is a reasonable level of expectation for a player who signs a $14/year contract?

Sure, if you go back one year ago and track his numbers for the past six months, it's scary bad. He's hitting .165 at this point. Not even Esteban Beltre, Joe Borchard or Mike Caruso could manage that feat.

It's one thing to expect the White Sox to make it to the World Series every year or for Dunn to hit 55 homers, it's quite another to expect something resembling his "average" career numbers.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 4, 2011 -> 06:39 AM)
What is a reasonable level of expectation for a player who signs a $14/year contract?

Sure, if you go back one year ago and track his numbers for the past six months, it's scary bad. He's hitting .165 at this point. Not even Esteban Beltre, Joe Borchard or Mike Caruso could manage that feat.

It's one thing to expect the White Sox to make it to the World Series every year or for Dunn to hit 55 homers, it's quite another to expect something resembling his "average" career numbers.

It's pretty obvious that the guy is horrible right now.

But the point is that we have $50 million still invested in the guy...you have to handle him in a way that will give you the best chance to recoup on your investment, as much as I hate to use a similar phrase as Chris Rongey.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 4, 2011 -> 01:19 PM)
It's pretty obvious that the guy is horrible right now.

But the point is that we have $50 million still invested in the guy...you have to handle him in a way that will give you the best chance to recoup on your investment, as much as I hate to use a similar phrase as Chris Rongey.

There's still 3 1/2 years for Dunn to get it going, but giving him a nice 10 day break would be the best thing for the team right now. We face 2 lefties in this KC series, and given Dunn's struggles this year against them, he really shouldn't be playing. The boo birds are going to be crazy this week if he continues to struggle.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 4, 2011 -> 08:45 AM)
There's still 3 1/2 years for Dunn to get it going, but giving him a nice 10 day break would be the best thing for the team right now. We face 2 lefties in this KC series, and given Dunn's struggles this year against them, he really shouldn't be playing. The boo birds are going to be crazy this week if he continues to struggle.

ozzie will play dunn, dunn will struggle, the boo birds will boo, rinse, repeat

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 4, 2011 -> 08:45 AM)

I'm not at all opposed to that....just make up a back strain for him and bring Viciedo up....but you can't just bench him indefinitely like people are calling for...you don't sign a guy to this kind of contract and then just write him off as a bust 1/8th of the way into it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 4, 2011 -> 08:59 AM)
I'm not at all opposed to that....just make up a back strain for him and bring Viciedo up....but you can't just bench him indefinitely like people are calling for...you don't sign a guy to this kind of contract and then just write him off as a bust 1/8th of the way into it.

He really needs just two weeks to go out in the country, away from anything baseball related, fish, hunt and just clear his mind. Come back after the All-Star break for a brand new season, so to speak.