• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7-11 now in the AL Central.

2-1 KC

0-4 MINN

1-5 DET

4-1 CLE

Comeback kids. Well, at least we're recently showing an ability to come back late in games.

Sergio will need to change his approach in these situations against FB hitting teams.

31,077 in attendance.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 01:52 AM)
Still don't quite understand why Pierre wasn't the first choice to pinch-hit there.

Teahen hasn't been playing, while Juan's been Mr. Clutch for a week and nearly always makes contact.

Knocked out their All-Star reliever two innings in a row.

Have a feeling Ozzie wanted Pierre to bat, but figured they IBB Teahen

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 4, 2011 -> 07:53 PM)
Have a feeling Ozzie wanted Pierre to bat, but figured they IBB Teahen

Maybe. And you can't like the odds of scoring AJ on a ball hit on the infield.

Nor can Pierre usually execute a bunt in a squeeze/sacrifice situation.

It worked out, who cares now? As greg says, just win baby. Just go with the if the White Sox won, "it must have been the right managerial decision" theory.

Feel a bit sorry for Royals fans there, even J4L. Joking!

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jul 4, 2011 -> 08:02 PM)
In 25 years of watching baseball I don't think I've ever seen a "balk off" in a Whitesox game. Can someone please describe what exactly the pitcher did? My internet speed was too slow for MLB.TV tonight...

I've been a baseball fan all my life, and I still don't understand the balk rule. I'll understand women before I understand that.

But apparently Crow leaned forward before stepping off the rubber...

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jul 4, 2011 -> 08:00 PM)
Does Dunn get an RBI there?

Nope. Callers to the post-game are actually trying to credit AJ with causing it by his actions on the basepaths, but just a mental breakdown there by Crow.

Maybe he was a little shaken up having to face Dunn again after the 8th and was thinking too much after walking Pierre.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 4, 2011 -> 08:04 PM)
I've been a baseball fan all my life, and I still don't understand the balk rule. I'll understand women before I understand that.

But apparently Crow leaned forward before stepping off the rubber...

With a runner on base and the pitcher on or astride (with one leg on each side of) the rubber, it is a balk[2] when the pitcher:

switches his pitching position from the windup to the set (or vice versa) without properly disengaging the rubber;

while on the rubber, makes a motion associated with his pitch and does not complete the delivery;

when pitching from the set position, fails to make a complete stop with his hands together before beginning to pitch;

throws from the mound to a base without stepping toward (gaining distance in the direction of) that base;

throws or feints a throw from the rubber to an unoccupied base, unless a play is imminent;

steps or feints from the rubber to first base without completing the throw;

delivers a quick return, a pitch thrown right after receiving the ball back, with intent to catch the batter off-guard;

drops the ball while on the rubber, even if by accident, if the ball does not subsequently cross a foul line;

while intentionally walking a batter, releases a pitch while the catcher is out of his box with one or both feet (rarely enforced);

unnecessarily delays the game (rarely enforced);

pitches while facing away from the batter;

after bringing his hands together on the rubber, separates them except in making a pitch or a throw;

stands on or astride the rubber without the ball, or mimics a pitch without the ball; or

throws to first when the first baseman, because of his distance from the base, is unable to make a play on the runner there.

I thought some1 had called time in that AB, but clearly no one did, Crow did do something but not sure how to explain it, he kinda just stepped of the mound to restart the prepitch, but it was a clear balk