White Sox winner!

Bighurt52235

Thankfully a Sergio implosion wasn't the story of this game to take away from the "feel good" vibes with Adam.

Who knows, maybe he's right when he said "something clicked" the other night in his muscle memory. If he believes it, why not? If he hit a Crow 96 MPH fastball out of the park, there's nothing wrong with his bat or fat. It's all mental, obviously. Like a baseball player's version of "writer's block."

The standing ovation should have made him and his family feel relieved.

Now we can move on to criticizing Alex Rios.

In all seriousness, Buehrle had his typical "battling" quality start, and Santos did get the key outs to limit the damage when it looked like the game was following a familiar script for the Sox this season.

Konerko continues to hit well, great approach by AJ there and good patience with Pierre there as well not to get himself out.

Need to get Carlos going again, too. He and Alexei have been slumping the last 2-3 weeks.

Strange way to win, but I will take it. Both Closers looked spooked today(both after the first hitter they faced reached base), that was pretty strange to see considering one is an all star and the other certainly could be an all star.

Dunn hitting a home run is a big story.

And we needed it at the time.

If he can get it going we might be able to beat these Central teams.

Good to win it in come from behind fashion ... again.

Better keep scoring five or more vs. KC. They will score some on us.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 4, 2011 -> 08:04 PM)
File this one under games we shouldn't have won either, but I will take.

shouldn't overshadow the absolute weakness of the offense for 6 innings. Not getting PK home after a lead off 2B was just so inexcusable. Tigers fired their pitching coach. White Sox?

some1 that has been really underrated and not talked about much is Buerhle. That's now 12 straight games with 3 runs or less, that is something for sure, he keeps putting up quality start after quality start. Hopefully we can get him some more wins cuz we have not.

Hopefully we have Mark back next year at a more reasonable price.

By the way, can we honestly actually say that Adam Dunn is worse than John Lackey? Epstein's had his share of clunkers like Lackey, Dice-K, Jenks, etc. Drew has never lived up to that contract either, solid but never close to the greatness he had the ability to be.

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jul 4, 2011 -> 08:19 PM)
some1 that has been really underrated and not talked about much is Buerhle. That's now 12 straight games with 3 runs or less, that is something for sure, he keeps putting up quality start after quality start. Hopefully we can get him some more wins cuz we have not.

great point.

i think he's been the biggest beneficiary of the 6 man rotation. Hope Danks comes back soon.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 4, 2011 -> 10:27 PM)
Hopefully we have Mark back next year at a more reasonable price.

By the way, can we honestly actually say that Adam Dunn is worse than John Lackey? Epstein's had his share of clunkers like Lackey, Dice-K, Jenks, etc. Drew has never lived up to that contract either, solid but never close to the greatness he had the ability to be.

It's the nature of the business. Not every FA is going to perform to their history. It's always a gamble. I don't fault KW, Epstein or any GM that takes a risk by signing a guy. We got Dunn at market or below market rate. I will never complain about a GM for pulling the trigger. Now, if they pull a Werth and sign a marginal good player for way over market value and he fails, you're a moron. The GM gets the best players available to win. If the players don't perform, it's not the GM's fault. Imagine how people would react if Cashman was our GM...

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jul 4, 2011 -> 10:16 PM)
It's the nature of the business. Not every FA is going to perform to their history. It's always a gamble. I don't fault KW, Epstein or any GM that takes a risk by signing a guy. We got Dunn at market or below market rate. I will never complain about a GM for pulling the trigger. Now, if they pull a Werth and sign a marginal good player for way over market value and he fails, you're a moron. The GM gets the best players available to win. If the players don't perform, it's not the GM's fault. Imagine how people would react if Cashman was our GM...

As long as he came along with the Yankees' budget.

Like I posted in the gamethread, I was in attendance today.

It was a very strange win. Great job by AJ to start off the 9th and a great bunt by Beckham to move him over. Ned Yost is a moron. If he would've just walked Teahen, there wouldn't have ever been the WP to advance AJ to 3rd.

I'll take it. Sergio will be fine. Way to battle today, Dunn. I hope this gets him going. That standing O was unreal; it was like he got to 3000 hits or something.

As for Rios, he's going to be the target of boos from here on out now. He is horrible. It's like he gets hits here and there now, but his new swing has no power/thump in it at all. It's either a single off the end of the bat or a weak pop out.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 4, 2011 -> 11:36 PM)
As long as he came along with the Yankees' budget.

That would be nice, but a little underwhelming. Part of the reason that I like KW, White Sox baseball and sports in general is that we work under certain restrictions. KW has to take bigger risks. He has to find high reward, busted prospects on a somewhat reserved budget to succeed. The fanbase won't tolerate a fundamental rebuilding kind of team. We aren't the Twins. Their fanbase is far more patient. It might be the nature of people from MN as opposed to people from Chicago. I don't know. Anyway, sure, it'd be nice to be a Kentucky fan and cheat and not care. I'd rather win the right way though. I'd rather catch lightning in a bottle the right way. I've had a few, so I'm probably explaining it poorly. I'd rather win with the Carlos Quentin's of the world than just buy a title though. Epstein and Cashman buy the best available and hope it works. KW, while he has a good budget, still has to get creative. I won't jump down his throat for taking uber talented, high risk guys like Alex Rios. Hopefully, they'll play to their abilities, but I'm not going to hate the GM for taking the risk if they don't.

It was so nice to see Dunn actually do something tonight. We can only hope this is a trend and not an anomaly. The fact that this team is 9th in the AL in runs (which is still not good) rather than about 13th is a testament to how good a few of our guys have been. Because our offense right now, overall, is an absolute trainwreck. It seems like so many of our games in the last several weeks look like tonight: overall solid pitching (perhaps not great, but solid), and an offense with which scoring 4 or 5 runs is like pulling teeth. So many close, not particularly high scoring games, and very few blowouts. It's a tough brand of baseball to watch, but the team continues to win more games than it loses ever since the horrible start to the season. Hopefully it continues, because all of these division games coming up are obviously immeasurably huge.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

The most encouraging thing about this team is that I can't imagine that we could play any worse. We're still right in the thick of things though. The pitching and defense have been solid over the last 2 months, but not great. The offense has been just... bad. We're still right there though. Dunn will hit eventually. Rios might too. We might just pull a rabbit out of the hat.