Some truth to unpatriotic liberals?

The Sir

more fuel for the fire!

As a visitor to the USA, one sometimes gets the feeling that it’s hard to move or look around without seeing a flag. They are seemingly everywhere, an omnipresent reminder of national identity. But the star-spangled banner is more than a symbol; it can also influence minds in unexpected ways. Travis Carter from the University of Chicago has found that when people think about voting decisions, the mere sight of the American flag can subtly shift their political views… towards Republicanism. It’s an effect that holds in both Democrats and Republicans, it affects actual votes, and it lasts for at least 8 months.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notrocke...-republicanism/

Carter, T.J. et al. (2011) A Single Exposure to the American Flag Shifts Support Toward Republicanism up to 8 Months Later. Psychological Science, advance online.

There is scant evidence that incidental cues in the environment significantly alter people’s political judgments and behavior in a durable way. We report that a brief exposure to the American flag led to a shift toward Republican beliefs, attitudes, and voting behavior among both Republican and Democratic participants, despite their overwhelming belief that exposure to the flag would not influence their behavior. In Experiment 1, which was conducted online during the 2008 U.S. presidential election, a single exposure to an American flag resulted in a significant increase in participants’ Republican voting intentions, voting behavior, political beliefs, and implicit and explicit attitudes, with some effects lasting 8 months after the exposure to the prime. In Experiment 2, we replicated the findings more than a year into the current Democratic presidential term. These results constitute the first evidence that nonconscious priming effects from exposure to a national flag can bias the citizenry toward one political party and can have considerable durability.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 03:12 PM)
Frankly when the tea party thread started with a bunch of blanket statements you had a bunch of the admins in here and other posters saying "you can't make blanket statements" etc. The difference is now there are admins endorsing this activity, which I would argue is bad for the forum.

The tea party racist things was bad, and it was addressed early on and i think the point was driven home and people have TRIED to stop. The suicide in kentucky where the person tried to play it off as a murder because he was a census worker was a thread where I was completely wrong. It's not like we are going to reduce the amount of blanket statements or heated arguments in here to zero in here, it would probably get pretty boring anyway. And the regulars here usually realize on their own when they step over the line and just leave to cool off. But I do think people try to have honest conversation and when pure incitement happens it should get the ridicule it deserves.

I'm not sure if you remember, but athomeboy was as democrat as democrat could be during the 08 election and his constant stupid posts about the menial day to day in washington that was pro obama pretty much annoyed everyone. It wasn't at all helpful to discussion.

So I find this pretty ridiculous that he's given so much leeway for personal attacks and blanket statements out of some sort of revenge.

All i'm saying is that the outlandish stuff he has posted isn't any more outlandish than what others have posted. I just think the response he got was a little over the top.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 03:34 PM)
All i'm saying is that the outlandish stuff he has posted isn't any more outlandish than what others have posted. I just think the response he got was a little over the top.

And he should be held to the same rules that others have been held too.

I must say though, he sparks lots of discussion on here which has been interesting to read to get different perspectives.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 03:20 PM)

When I read crap studies like what you posted there, I think that it is merely some college guy looking for a way to have the flag outlawed or at least removed from as many places as possible. By claiming that it 'influences' people to lean to wards one side (the side he doesn't like), they can somehow try and make the case that displaying the flag is endorsing one party over the other, so you can't display the flag, that would just be 'unfair'.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 04:01 PM)
When I read crap studies like what you posted there, I think that it is merely some college guy looking for a way to have the flag outlawed or at least removed from as many places as possible. By claiming that it 'influences' people to lean to wards one side (the side he doesn't like), they can somehow try and make the case that displaying the flag is endorsing one party over the other, so you can't display the flag, that would just be 'unfair'.

:huh:

eta it's the same sort of "Crap college-guy study by liberal elites!" that started this thread!

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 04:01 PM)

BTW, off topic but I love this in your sig:

Official Liberal Funniness Rating: Bill Maher, Extremely Funny When He Calls Sarah Palin a C*** or a T***; Mark Halperin, Not Funny, When He Calls Obama A Dick

One guy is a paid stand up comedian. The other guy is a columnist for a well known publication. Granted I don't think Halperin should have been suspended but I'm not going to start comparing Dennis Miller with Ezra Klein.

And one person targeted in your sig is the Commander in Chief. The other is a reality TV star.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 05:15 PM)

One guy is a paid stand up comedian. The other guy is a columnist for a well known publication. Granted I don't think Halperin should have been suspended but I'm not going to start comparing Dennis Miller with Ezra Klein.

And frankly, use of those terms against the former half term governor offends me quite a bit more. Did he actually call her that?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 04:20 PM)
And frankly, use of those terms against the former half term governor offends me quite a bit more. Did he actually call her that?

Not sure but I wouldn't be surprised.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 05:26 PM)
Maher's an abrasive ass who has a political comedy show on HBO. Halperin works for Time. Of course there are different standards to hold them to, which was BS's point.

I don't mind a guy working for Time calling someone a jackass. It's more revealing of his character than anything else. Only in our silly media world is that suspension-worthy.

Just like with Maher's anti-muslim screeds, Maher was way over the line. I'd complain more, but well, I don't subscribe to HBO or watch his show, so no one would care if I complained.

This thread amuses me greatly.

From Merriam-Webster:

Definition of PATRIOTISM

:love for or devotion to one's country

Definition for COUNTRY

:a political state or nation or its territory

Definition of NATION

:a politically organized nationality

Definition of POLITICAL

: of or relating to government, a government, or the conduct of government

Definition of GOVERNMENT

:the act or process of governing; specifically : authoritative direction or control

So, using my fool proof logic, you cannot be patriotic if you don't absolutely love your government. Therefore, liberals were unpatriotic in 2000-2008 and conservatives were unpatriotic from 1992-2000, and from 2008-Present.

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 04:32 PM)
This thread amuses me greatly.

From Merriam-Webster:

Definition of PATRIOTISM

:love for or devotion to one's country

Definition for COUNTRY

:a political state or nation or its territory

Definition of NATION

:a politically organized nationality

Definition of POLITICAL

: of or relating to government, a government, or the conduct of government

Definition of GOVERNMENT

:the act or process of governing; specifically : authoritative direction or control

So, using my fool proof logic, you cannot be patriotic if you don't absolutely love your government. Therefore, liberals were unpatriotic in 2000-2008 and conservatives were unpatriotic from 1992-2000, and from 2008-Present.

Haha

Awesome!

:notworthy

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 09:31 PM)
I don't mind a guy working for Time calling someone a jackass. It's more revealing of his character than anything else. Only in our silly media world is that suspension-worthy.

Just like with Maher's anti-muslim screeds, Maher was way over the line. I'd complain more, but well, I don't subscribe to HBO or watch his show, so no one would care if I complained.

I agree, that's pretty disgusting. I even think you lose that "stand up comic" thing when you go from your standup routine where i could see it happening pretty easily, and then when you have your "political talkshow".

But also I should add that halperin is a hack whod i'd support being suspended even if it's not fair to him.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 05:35 PM)
But also I should add that halperin is a hack whod i'd support being suspended even if it's not fair to him.

Yup. The less time he spends on the air/publishing, the more intelligent we all are.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 04:31 PM)

Well, agreed with that, but he called him a "dick"

But that's not the point of Alpha's sig and you know it. It's an "OMG! Double-standards!" thing that ignores a reasonable explanation for differing standards.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 04:35 PM)

this

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 05:40 PM)
Well, agreed with that, but he called him a "dick"

But that's not the point of Alpha's sig and you know it. It's an "OMG! Double-standards!" thing that ignores a reasonable explanation for differing standards.

1. I don't care.

2. I don't care about the point of Alpha's sig, we're not really even talking about it. He's right that Maher's was worse. He's also right that Halperin, like most of the upper echelon of the "Reporting class" in the media are conservatives that Alpha feels the need to defend.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 04:15 PM)

And one person targeted in your sig is the Commander in Chief. The other is a reality TV star.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 04:49 PM)
2. I don't care about the point of Alpha's sig, we're not really even talking about it.

hmm, pretty sure we were!

Well, I do think the term was relevant because part of it was knowing he was saying a word that should be bleeped and the mistake that it wasn't bleeped anyways. The other part was that it was disrespectful on a news show. A comedy show does sort of take that edge off, as shocking can be funny.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 04:54 PM)
We're talking about his sig but not about the point he was trying to make. At least not directly.

I'm not going to start comparing Dennis Miller with Ezra Klein.

No, I'm pretty sure BS was directly pointing out why Maher-Halperin was a crappy comparison.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 02:51 PM)
how does one argue that they ARE patriotic if the definition they are classifying for being patriotic are mostly just things that are identified with being republican?

That's been more or less what I've been trying to get across in the 1 or 2 posts I've made in this thread, and they were never addressed.