White Sox: Big Board 2013

caulfield12

If you were constructing a team out of ONLY current White Sox minor league prospects and you knew that team would be the one you would be "stuck" with at the major league level from 2013-2015 (let's say it was for an expansion franchise), who would you pick and why?

NOTE: I only know a bit about the minors, so I'll defer judgement and just throw out names and see where we get.

OF candidates....Jordan Danks, Viciedo, Jared Mitchell, Jose Martinez, Lastings Milledge, Keenyn "Don't Call Me KW, it's Leggo My Eggo" Walker, B. Short, Trayce Thompson

3B Tyler Kuhn/Silverio

2B Tyler Saladino

SS Eduardo Escobar

1B Viciedo/Wilkins/Christian Marrero

C Flowers/Phegley/Blanke/Kevan Smith

SP Petricka

SP Rienzo

SP ????

SP ????

SP ????

Shirek, Axelrod, Leesman, Upchurch, Griffith

BP Infante

BP Remenowsky

BP Santos Rodriguez

BP Addison Reed

BP Omogrosso (haven't seen him much since he returned from injury)

BP Nathan Jones

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 10:12 AM)
Guess it seemed weird that three of our Top 25-30 prospects are all named Tyler.

Hmmm....

Well the 25-man roster has two players named Brent, while no other team in the majors has a Brent on their MLB roster.

I was working on a 25-man roster of only minor leaguers, but the starting pitching was way too thin. How about a projected 2013 lineup like Baseball America does. I included only Major League players signed through 2013.

C: Tyler Flowers

1B: Paul Konerko

2B: Gordon Beckham

SS: Alexei Ramirez

3B: Brent Morel

LF: Dayan Viciedo

CF: Jordan Danks

RF: Alex Rios

DH: Adam Dunn

Bench: Eduardo Escobar, Josh Phegley, Brandon Short, Tyler Kuhn

No. 1 SP: Phil Humber

No. 2: Gavin Floyd (pick up his 9.5 mill option, don't pick up a 32 year old Peavy at 22 mill)

No. 3: Jacob Petricka

No. 4: Dylan Axelrod

No. 5: Charlie Leesman

Closer: Sergio Santos

Set up R: Jesse Crain

Set up L: Chris Sale

MR: Addison Reed

MR: Andre Rienzo

MR: Dan Remenowsky

MR: Gregori Infante

With some depth in the bullpen (another option like Nunez not even picked here) and a lack of depth in the rotation, it shows that the Sox really should consider giving Sale a chance to start. If you like Erik Johnson, he could be a quick riser to be a 5th starter by maybe 2014, but there's no way he's up by 2013. Really makes you regret the Hudson/Jackson trade from a long-term standpoint.

If you like Morel and Beckham the lineup is fairly set for a while. Only need to worry about catcher and one outfield spot (assuming Flowers and Danks are bench players at best).

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 02:02 PM)
Nice effort danman. I think Sale will be in starting rotation, and I can't picture a situation where Rios is around come 2013.

Probably true on Rios, but those weren't the rules. Looking at that list makes the Quentin for Beachy speculation seem reasonable. That would be a massive boost in the long-term for the Sox.

It really is hard to gauge the outfield. Trayce Thompson is the type of guy that if the switch flips, he'll sky-rocket up the system and could be penciled into the outfield in 2013. Same could even potentially be said about Mitchell (if now that he's gotten half a season back under his belt, he can start to make strides and show he is 100% back from the injury). The hard part is, I could also say that neither of the guys have shown me near enough.

So it really is hard to say. I would say Erik Johnson is probably safe to not make the squad starting in 2013, but crazier things have happened (since Daniel Hudson). And I really think Johnson projects similarly to Huddy. Both have good quality arms but had trouble repeating there deliveries. However, no one can ever predict a prospect to make the type of "rise" that Huddy eventually did.

Our rotation, based upon our internal development, looks awful. But I also know we could potentially be adding other guys to the rotation or keeping guys (whether that is spinning Jackson, resigning Jackson or spinning Danks, Buehrle, etc). Not that it would help in 2013, but you could also probably safely assume that arbitration would be offered to those guys and 2 comp picks would be received for each of those guys (if the Sox held onto them as opposed to trading).

It's pretty clear that we have a lot of outfield depth and relievers in the pipeline, but very few "impact" infielders or starting pitchers.

Of course, you'd rather have the opposite situation, sitting on 2-3 quality shortstops and starters.

You'd have to be just as dubious about Tyler Flowers starting in 2013 as you would about Rios.

The main problem here is that Mitchell and Thompson are still both 2-3 years away, unless Mitchell can pick it up in the 2nd half and repeat the AFL again and absolutely start out on fire in Birmingham. The odds of him turning into a Beckham-esque AA hitter aren't that great, but stranger things have happened. He seems more like the slow and steady progression type at this point.

Personally, it would be nice to see what Danks and/or De Aza could do in place of Rios, but clearly we're not afforded that luxury being in the middle of a pennant race...we'll have to wait until September, at the earliest.

Omogrosso's not back to the same pitcher then, is he?

The scariest part is Humber at the top of the rotation. When you look at how many other organizations had a shot at him in the last couple of seasons, it's even more of an amazing story than Loaiza in some ways because we'll have him for a much longer time period of effectiveness, hopefully. Esteban just kind of lost it at the end of 2003 and never was the same. Of course, no reason to think that won't happen with Humber, but the fact that you can pencil in Phil as anything #1 in 2013 would have been the most laughable possible offseason projection.

It also shows why KW is most likely to hold onto Floyd, despite his obvious deficiencies.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 03:32 PM)
Probably true on Rios, but those weren't the rules. Looking at that list makes the Quentin for Beachy speculation seem reasonable. That would be a massive boost in the long-term for the Sox.

And if the Braves threw in Scott Proctor, you'd have the additional veteran RH reliever that Ozzie covets.

It's pretty obvious Ozzie doesn't trust Pena, and he actually likes Bruney a lot. Maybe we don't make another move there. Maybe it's Kinney, not sure.

One thing is that I can't remember too many rookie relievers (besides Jenks and Santos) put into late innings work or trusted by Ozzie right off the bat. Probably, that's as much about their lack of quality (the likes of a Sean Tracey, Nunez or A. Montero, etc.) than anything else.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 05:10 PM)
It really is hard to gauge the outfield. Trayce Thompson is the type of guy that if the switch flips, he'll sky-rocket up the system and could be penciled into the outfield in 2013. Same could even potentially be said about Mitchell (if now that he's gotten half a season back under his belt, he can start to make strides and show he is 100% back from the injury). The hard part is, I could also say that neither of the guys have shown me near enough.

An optimistic view point on Trayce would say that he has added a significant piece of his game each year so far. Power last year, walks this year. With already solid speed and good defense, all that's left is contact. That might be the hardest thing to learn, but I won't say he can't improve that. If he doesn't he could be a less exaggerated (less power, less Ks) Mark Reynolds with better defense.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 05:17 PM)
Omogrosso's not back to the same pitcher then, is he?

The scariest part is Humber at the top of the rotation. When you look at how many other organizations had a shot at him in the last couple of seasons, it's even more of an amazing story than Loaiza in some ways because we'll have him for a much longer time period of effectiveness, hopefully. Esteban just kind of lost it at the end of 2003 and never was the same. Of course, no reason to think that won't happen with Humber, but the fact that you can pencil in Phil as anything #1 in 2013 would have been the most laughable possible offseason projection.

It also shows why KW is most likely to hold onto Floyd, despite his obvious deficiencies.

I don't know about Omogrosso. He has decent numbers, but I haven't heard anything about him so I'm going to assume no.

Humber as the No. 1 is definitely scary. The lack of SP lined up beyond 2012 is truly frightening. I saw Floyd's option and kind of assumed he wouldn't be worth it, but you have to pick it up out of desperation.

So to summarize, as bad as KW has f---ed up in trades over the last 3 seasons, we're still only a couple of his Floyd/Danks/Ramirez/Quentin masterstrokes from being competitive in the future.

Of course, everything has to break right with Beckham, Peavy and Dunn. For some reason, Rios seems more and more like a lost cause.

It will be very interesting, though, how KW decides to handle Peavy (let's say he goes on an extended run and is healthy for the remainder of the season), Jackson, Danks, Floyd and Buehrle. Who goes, who stays, and what pitchers we can get back for them and in, in all probability, Quentin.

Carlos has reached the end of the line where his effectiveness is becoming too pricey...and we can't control his rights long-term, either. We saw the same issues crop up with Jenks, Rowand and Crede at roughly the same point in their White Sox careers (although Joe was more of a health issue, obviously).

Danman, why didn't you follow conventional wisdom and stick Sale in the starting rotation?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 05:46 PM)
Danman, why didn't you follow conventional wisdom and stick Sale in the starting rotation?

Because at this point I'll believe that the Sox will make him a starter when I see it.