Sox scouting Brandon Beachy

BaseballNick

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 06:13 PM)
I think the JP thing came up mid-thread. It certainly would be hilarious if they did want him, and I'd take absolutely anything of value to get rid of him. I just don't see Lowe being less valuable to the Braves ROS than Pierre. Obviously we wouldn't get any A or even B pitching prospects for him. If they want to dump Lowe and/or McLouth though, I'm all for it, if for no other reason than it gives us more depth to dump some more valuable guys after our upcoming 8 game losing streak.

Gotta take a look at the contracts before you weigh Lowe against anyone. $15 mil total this year, $15 mil remaining next year. $21 million remaining through the end of 2012.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 05:16 PM)
Gotta take a look at the contracts before you weigh Lowe against anyone. $15 mil total this year, $15 mil remaining next year. $21 million remaining through the end of 2012.

This is true, and I think that would be the only thing that would make it worthwhile for ATL. I would assume that if we took him, it would be a definite goodbye to Buerhle, and might give us the depth necessary to dump Danks for a decent package.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 06:20 PM)
This is true, and I think that would be the only thing that would make it worthwhile for ATL. I would assume that if we took him, it would be a definite goodbye to Buerhle, and might give us the depth necessary to dump Danks for a decent package.

I'd think that if the Sox took on that kind of money, we'd expect to see just about everyone being moved. Buehrle, Danks, Quentin would probably go this year at the deadline just to clear salary, with AJ and Konerko right on their heels.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 06:25 PM)
Why would we want Lowe over Pierre?

Derek Lowe is still a regularly above average starting pitcher. Good number of innings, not dominant but wins you games. I'd take him...but I wouldn't take him at $15 million, and the Sox clearly have no need of starting pitching right now.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 05:25 PM)
Why would we want Lowe over Pierre?

Are we dumping Rios' contract on the Braves, too? There's just no way Lowe for Pierre makes sense for us....and some combo of Rios and/or Pierre for Lowe makes any sense for them.

I think it would allow us to clear space for Viciedo, dump Jackson/Danks and still actually have a shot at the Central if we got hot. Again, if Dunn/Rios start hitting, this team could lose a couple pieces and still be the best in our division, especially if those pieces are pitchers.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 11:39 PM)
Trading CQ makes alot of sense to me.

I don't see that at all, but I do think Juan Pierre, who to his credit is a hardworking guy, might be someone another contender might take from us. What we would get back is questionable, but it would open a spot for Viciedo. I still hold on to the idea of Viciedo and Quentin in the corner spots. Plus apprently AL players see a real positive in CQ as they put him on the all-star team. I like CQ a lot too. He hustles all the time and when hot can carry a team. A bit steaky but a lot of power hitters are

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 11:46 PM)
I don't see that at all, but I do think Juan Pierre, who to his credit is a hardworking guy, might be someone another contender might take from us. What we would get back is questionable, but it would open a spot for Viciedo. I still hold on to the idea of Viciedo and Quentin in the corner spots. Plus apprently AL players see a real positive in CQ as they put him on the all-star team. I like CQ a lot too. He hustles all the time and when hot can carry a team. A bit steaky but a lot of power hitters are

You really think teams care about that to bring in a very below average player?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 02:42 AM)
I want changes as much as the next guy, but why not trade them Dunn and/or Rios? Rios needs a change of scenery again and Atlanta might bite if we paid a lot of the salary.

CQ may finally be figuring it out this season. He's definitely improved his defense. Many people on this board wanted to DFA him last year for his bad defense or at least send him down. He's gotten pretty good.

The Sox should be trying to do everything in their power to deal Rios/Dunn/Pierre, not CQ.

Not for a pitcher.

I feel strongly it'd be dumb to trade one of the only productive hitters in our lineup the first half for a pitcher.

I mean why would we trade offense?? We gots no offense to speak of!

Wouldn't some of you be pissed to see us trade CQ for a f***ing pitcher??

The idea is to add Dayan's bat to supplement our good hitters. That means dumping Juan for a prospect. We don't want to dump a good hitter to replace him with a good hitter (Dayan). To improve to where we might be a division contender, we need to add Dayan and drop Juan.

Then you got Dayan, Rios (yuk) and CQ in the outfield! Potentially you ADD to the lineup this way.

Excellent post...well done!

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 05:46 PM)

DV will be a great replacement for CQ. Sox need young arms and trade makes sense to me!

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 10:58 PM)
Excellent post...well done!

How is that a good idea? Why would you sell low on players, who you have NO replacements for, and get nothing in return? If you're a GM and you just dump all the players that are having a bad season, you're going to run out of talent. CQ will never have more trade value then now, he's going to be too expensive next year, and we have a ready-made replacement. This team, minus Dunn and Rios, is still horrible. If you're losing, you have to replace players with players that give you a chance to win in the future.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 10:21 AM)
How is that a good idea? Why would you sell low on players, who you have NO replacements for, and get nothing in return? If you're a GM and you just dump all the players that are having a bad season, you're going to run out of talent. CQ will never have more trade value then now, he's going to be too expensive next year, and we have a ready-made replacement. This team, minus Dunn and Rios, is still horrible. If you're losing, you have to replace players with players that give you a chance to win in the future.

If someone would take on the contracts of Dunn and Rios, regardless of whether the Sox have immediate replacements for them, the Sox should do that solely to rid themselves of the contracts, because in the event of a total rebuild, that money will be extremely useful.

They'd have to play Quentin in LF (or DH) with Ichiro already entrenched in RF.

Not sure they have anyone you'd love to have besides Ackley or Smoak. Neither of those guys are going anywhere, certainly not for CQ.

It would be a pretty shocking move for them to make.

More likely he would go to the Giants, Braves or Phillies. Don't think KW wants him to come back to haunt the White Sox playing in the AL.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 11:41 AM)
They'd have to play Quentin in LF (or DH) with Ichiro already entrenched in RF.

Not sure they have anyone you'd love to have besides Ackley or Smoak. Neither of those guys are going anywhere, certainly not for CQ.

It would be a pretty shocking move for them to make.

More likely he would go to the Giants, Braves or Phillies. Don't think KW wants him to come back to haunt the White Sox playing in the AL.

The Mariners have a lot of higher-level guys who should wind up being big leaguers (even if not stellar ones) and some talented stuff below them that is a few years away. They're actually the kind of team the Sox ought to be dealing with here...a team that has guys who might be a couple years away from becoming top-flight rookies.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 12:30 PM)
The Mariners have a lot of higher-level guys who should wind up being big leaguers (even if not stellar ones) and some talented stuff below them that is a few years away. They're actually the kind of team the Sox ought to be dealing with here...a team that has guys who might be a couple years away from becoming top-flight rookies.

Do you think they will be buyers though? I think they realize their offense isn't good enough, but those younger players could contribute in the next year or too.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 01:46 PM)
Do you think they will be buyers though? I think they realize their offense isn't good enough, but those younger players could contribute in the next year or too.

They just lost 5 games in a row going into the AS break. Before that I'd have answered yes. Now, I think they'll be more hesitant, barring a run of wins coming out of the break.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 08:22 AM)
If someone would take on the contracts of Dunn and Rios, regardless of whether the Sox have immediate replacements for them, the Sox should do that solely to rid themselves of the contracts, because in the event of a total rebuild, that money will be extremely useful.

Hopefully there's another KW out there.

I would at least wait til 2012 on Dunn.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 04:40 PM)
The cards have 2 prospects in Law's new top 5. I would say those are the kinds of pieces the Sox need to go after.

I can't see Martinez or Miller going anywhere, and even if they were available, who would we have to acquire them?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 09:22 AM)

In my opinion, ridding themselves of Rios (and his contract) would be more important. I say that only because I do believe Dunn will rebound, although maybe not this year. I just can't stand watching Rios anymore. He doesn't try. But, you're absolutely right that the money from either or both contracts would be useful.

Maybe a total rebuild is in the cards for the Sox, but it's hard for me to imagine KW thinking like that. However, maybe he'll see that the hodge podge of talent he threw together this year isn't cutting it. At least a team full of young players with potential would be more exciting than what's going on now.