Sox scouting Brandon Beachy

BaseballNick

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 11:43 AM)
I can't see Martinez or Miller going anywhere, and even if they were available, who would we have to acquire them?

We have several pieces that are very valuable to a contending club, Danks, Sale, Thornton, Santos, Floyd.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 06:09 PM)
We have several pieces that are very valuable to a contending club, Danks, Sale, Thornton, Santos, Floyd.

That I agree with, but I just can't see Cardinals giving up such cheap starting pitching with Carpenter leaving after this year and the Pujols situation at the end of this year. I think it's much more likely they give up Rasmus in order to get another starter. Rock, do you know if we've been speaking with the Cardinals? BTW, Thornton makes a ton of sense for them.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 11:43 AM)
I can't see Martinez or Miller going anywhere, and even if they were available, who would we have to acquire them?

Yup. Miller is a consensus top-5 pitching prospect in baseball right now. Martinez is probably in the top-10. Carpenter is 36 and will be a FA after this season. Wainwright will be coming back from TJ. And Pujols is going to be making $25+ million dollars a year starting in '12. They're not parting with any of their premium cost-controlled talent. This includes Rasmus.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 12:12 PM)
Yup. Miller is a consensus top-5 pitching prospect in baseball right now. Martinez is probably in the top-10. Carpenter is 36 and will be a FA after this season. Wainwright will be coming back from TJ. And Pujols is going to be making $25+ million dollars a year starting in '12. They're not parting with any of their premium cost-controlled talent. This includes Rasmus.

Regardless of STL's situations, consensus top 10/15 prospects are traded once in a blue moon. SP prospects in the top 10ish are never traded. It's a pipe dream to get Miller or Martinez.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 12:17 PM)
Regardless of STL's situations, consensus top 10/15 prospects are traded once in a blue moon. SP prospects in the top 10ish are never traded. It's a pipe dream to get Miller or Martinez.

Oh I know that. I was just pointing out that they're basically untouchable. Not that just the Sox couldn't touch them. I don't see the Sox making any moves, really. You can't go to show n tell without something to show.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 12:21 PM)
Oh I know that. I was just pointing out that they're basically untouchable. Not that just the Sox couldn't touch them. I don't see the Sox making any moves, really. You can't go to show n tell without something to show.

Yeah, I was just adding on to your point.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 12:11 PM)
That I agree with, but I just can't see Cardinals giving up such cheap starting pitching with Carpenter leaving after this year and the Pujols situation at the end of this year. I think it's much more likely they give up Rasmus in order to get another starter. Rock, do you know if we've been speaking with the Cardinals? BTW, Thornton makes a ton of sense for them.

Not specifically, but I heard that teams have been calling on our lefty pen arms.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 12:37 PM)
wonder if SF would be interested in Flowers....?

Or would they dare take back AJ?

They just called up a C from AAA, Hector Sanchez. .802 OPS between High-A & AAA this season. Probably see if shows anything with the bat in the next few weeks before they attempt a trade.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 12:53 PM)
Hasn't there been almost a complete turnover of that org aside from the GM since they last had commander chaos?

I have no idea. I just believe nobody is taking AJ and the $6 million he's owed next year. Outside of a singles binge here and there, he's really bad now.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 04:00 PM)
I have no idea. I just believe nobody is taking AJ and the $6 million he's owed next year. Outside of a singles binge here and there, he's really bad now.

Have you actually looked at his numbers for this year? He's actually hitting nearly .300 and his numbers, especially since May 1, have been stellar.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 03:02 PM)
Have you actually looked at his numbers for this year? He's actually hitting nearly .300 and his numbers, especially since May 1, have been stellar.

Yeah, I see that average has climbed. But his power, not that he had much to begin with, has been sapped and he's so bad defensively that the average is practically meaningless. Maybe really bad was the wrong term. Give me Matt Wieters' .260 average and his ability to dominate the game defensively over AJ's punchless .300 and defensive liabilities.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 04:08 PM)
Yeah, I see that average has climbed. But his power, not that he had much to begin with, has been sapped and he's so bad defensively that the average is practically meaningless. Maybe really bad was the wrong term. Give me Matt Wieters' .260 average and his ability to dominate the game defensively over AJ's punchless .300 and defensive liabilities.

Somehow I doubt Matt Wieters is available on the trade market. But AJ also has a .721 OPS on the season which is pretty good for catchers (league average is .694), and .766 since May 1.

If the Sox were willing to move AJ he'd probably be the best catcher available on the trade market.