Since no Hibbie thread yet, feel good Phil Humber article

caulfield12

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/125116604.html

It's a great story (not the writer's, I mean Humber's resurgence). Almost nearing Lifetime/ABC Afterschool Special territory.

The Twins have lost five in a row on the road and haven't won away from Target Field since June 21. They're coming off a 6-3 homestand in which they took all three series. ... Minnesota is 4-0 against the White Sox this season, but three of those were one-run decisions. Nick Blackburn, Friday's starter, is 2-0 against the White Sox in 2011 with a 0.61 ERA in 142/3 innings. ... On May 3, Francisco Liriano threw the fifth nine-inning no-hitter in Twins history in a 1-0 victory. He walked six and struck out two. ... Michael Cuddyer has continued his hot hitting after being selected to his first All-Star Game. The right fielder is 9-for-20 in the past six games with three homers, 10 RBI and seven runs scored. ... Scott Baker (right elbow strain) probably will miss his scheduled start Sunday, with Anthony Swarzak taking his place.

WHITE SOX UPDATE

A 19-game stretch against AL Central opponents got off to a slow start for the White Sox, who lost two of three at home to Kansas City. Chicago (43-45) is only 7-13 vs. divisional opponents in '11. ... The White Sox haven't beaten the Twins at home since April 11, 2010. ... Gavin Floyd is 4-9 with a 5.20 ERA in 14 career starts against the Twins. Those nine losses are his most against any team.

startribune.com/sports

Edited by caulfield12

Part of me wants them to lose all 4 if they're going to lose 3 of them, because it would force some serious re-evaluation over the all-star break.

If we win 2 games we're still in this thing. Any less, we are on the ropes, if not done.

I still think the talent on this team is better than any in the AL central.

Today's loss was absolutely unacceptable.

All I can think of is "losing.....is a disease...."

From listening to the Indians/Yankees game tonight, there's something about that team that's starting to make me think they can win the division.

It would be completely improbable, but that entire team's starting to believe in itself again. They went from 15 games over all the way down to 4 I think, but they've been a resilient bunch all season.

Missing Hafner for most of the season, Sizemore as a shade of his former self, Choo out 6-8 weeks, they're just getting it done despite all the obstacles thrown in their path. Same with the Twins. We, unfortunately, don't have that built-in health/DL excuse.

Asdrubal Cabrera is just playing exceptionally well in all facets of the game, and Santana's starting to come into his own offensively.

They've become a very difficult "out" because of Masterson, Carmona and Carlos Carrasco looking like he was a great get in the Cliff Lee deal. Even if Tomlin and Talbot are pitching over their heads, it's pretty impressive. And they'll get Alex White back at some point for depth. Chris Perez is having his best overall season as well.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 10:43 PM)
Part of me wants them to lose all 4 if they're going to lose 3 of them, because it would force some serious re-evaluation over the all-star break.

If we win 2 games we're still in this thing. Any less, we are on the ropes, if not done.

I still think the talent on this team is better than any in the AL central.

Today's loss was absolutely unacceptable.

All I can think of is "losing.....is a disease...."

I think the Sox won their only game this whole week. The Sox are the Twin's b****. I have no problem with that. It's not beating the Royals and teams like them that's unacceptable.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 11:12 PM)
From listening to the Indians/Yankees game tonight, there's something about that team that's starting to make me think they can win the division.

I wonder what they got in their farm system they could trade to help get them some decent pitching.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 11:34 PM)
I wonder what they got in their farm system they could trade to help get them some decent pitching.

They have a decent farm. Not great, but pretty good. For a team that's had such favourable drafting positions in recent years they could be much better, but they're OK. I'm still not sold on them this season, however. In all honesty, the Twins are still the team that scares me the most. The Tigers are similar to us in that they rarely finish strong. The Twins, however.....I think we all know how they finish.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 11:34 PM)

The Indians have an almost identical ERA to the White Sox, right around 3.85.

Masterson just shut out the Yankees.

Sure, they could use a replacement for #5 in their rotation, but they've already got first round draft pick Alex White on the mend. Carlos Carrasco has been one of the better pitchers in the game in the month of July. Carmona has always had the stuff, and we all know about Masterson from firsthand experience.

They also just got Matt LaPorta (LaFatta Ozzie calls him) back from the DL.

Offensively, they could certainly get better at 3B and they need another outfielder with Choo out but they're not going to make any drastic moves because he'll be back this season. Brantley has been decent in CF, Hannahan at 3B (good glove, so-so bat) and Orlando Cabrera providing steady leadership.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 11:46 PM)
The Indians have an almost identical ERA to the White Sox, right around 3.85.

Masterson just shut out the Yankees.

Sure, they could use a replacement for #5 in their rotation, but they've already got first round draft pick Alex White on the mend. Carlos Carrasco has been one of the better pitchers in the game in the month of July. Carmona has always had the stuff, and we all know about Masterson from firsthand experience.

They also just got Matt LaPorta (LaFatta Ozzie calls him) back from the DL.

Offensively, they could certainly get better at 3B and they need another outfielder with Choo out but they're not going to make any drastic moves because he'll be back this season. Brantley has been decent in CF, Hannahan at 3B (good glove, so-so bat) and Orlando Cabrera providing steady leadership.

Lonnie Chisenhall is their 3B of the future. He's legit, too.

I'm more than sold on their offense. Even before the season started, I liked their offense. I'm less sold on their pitching, however, and that hasn't changed.

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 11:52 PM)
Lonnie Chisenhall is their 3B of the future. He's legit, too.

I'm more than sold on their offense. Even before the season started, I liked their offense. I'm less sold on their pitching, however, and that hasn't changed.

The Sox need to hire some of their scouts. They also seem to bring up some decent hitters.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 12:51 AM)
The Sox need to hire some of their scouts. They also seem to bring up some decent hitters.

And yet they went through their period where they whiffed on a lot of young players/prospect trades.

LaPorta, Brantley and Lou Marson still haven't paid many dividends.

Remember Andy Marte and Jesse Barfield? They also cast off Franklin Gutierrez in a dubious move. Ben Francisco, okay...he wasn't the greatest.

Ryan Garko kind of flamed out. Luis Valbuena? Trevor Crowe? Chris Gimenez?

I mean...c'mon, they traded away CC Sabathia and Cliff Lee, two former Cy Young winners, not to mention Victor Martinez. Of course they're going to have some quality young talent to show for that, to not would be almost criminal. Blake and DeRosa come to mind, as well.

Just like if we traded away Danks, Quentin, possibly Floyd, Alexei, Jackson...we'd PROBABLY get some very nice pieces back in return.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 12:12 AM)

It would be completely improbable, but that entire team's starting to believe in itself again. They went from 15 games over all the way down to 4 I think, but they've been a resilient bunch all season.

Missing Hafner for most of the season, Sizemore as a shade of his former self, Choo out 6-8 weeks, they're just getting it done despite all the obstacles thrown in their path. Same with the Twins. We, unfortunately, don't have that built-in health/DL excuse.

Asdrubal Cabrera is just playing exceptionally well in all facets of the game, and Santana's starting to come into his own offensively.

They've become a very difficult "out" because of Masterson, Carmona and Carlos Carrasco looking like he was a great get in the Cliff Lee deal. Even if Tomlin and Talbot are pitching over their heads, it's pretty impressive. And they'll get Alex White back at some point for depth. Chris Perez is having his best overall season as well.

They're on a streak where they've won 6 of 9, but prior to that they were really awful for almost 2 months.

I just can't put much stock in a team that started out an improbable 20-8 and then spent the last 60 games going 5 under .500. It reminds me very much of the 2003 Royals - a mediocre team that starts out with an outlier hot streak and then goes basically .500 the rest of the season and hangs around until September. I'd be very surprised to see them win more than 85 games.

Keep in mind "getting it done" in this case simply means losing less games than the teams chasing you.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 12:42 AM)
They have a decent farm. Not great, but pretty good. For a team that's had such favourable drafting positions in recent years they could be much better, but they're OK. I'm still not sold on them this season, however. In all honesty, the Twins are still the team that scares me the most. The Tigers are similar to us in that they rarely finish strong. The Twins, however.....I think we all know how they finish.

Giggidy giggidy.