Pierre - .341 OBP since April 30th

Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 02:38 PM)
He's hit a number of clutch, game-winning hits recently that should have made up for some of the games he's lost with his glove.

Pshhh, if he hit better earlier in the game those "clutch" hits shouldn't even have to occur.

Player A: 2-4 with a double and 2 RBI's

Player B: 1-5, RBI

Give me the guy who produces throughout the game rather than some s***ty plate appearances that leads to us having to come back again to win.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 08:36 PM)
Honestly, name one thing that is positive out of Pierre? And a legit positive, not some bulls*** that he's raised his OBP a tad while it's still sitting at a s***ty number.

I think Hibbard has listed a lot of positives.

He's done a great job of making an argument that Pierre isn't the devil.

We get it. Juan is terrible.

I want him batting ninth, but I also want Morel, Becks, Rios, Dunn and the Lexi of late batting ninth.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)
I think Hibbard has listed a lot of positives.

He's done a great job of making an argument that Pierre isn't the devil.

We get it. Juan is terrible.

I want him batting ninth, but I also want Morel, Becks, Rios, Dunn and the Lexi of late batting ninth.

Im not putting all the blame on Pierre, but he's a guy you can actually do something about!! Don't you guys see that!? We have a young guy, who is immensely talented at the plate (and his defense has been adequate this season with a cannon of an arm) ready to take his place, and we don't have a huge commitment to Pierre financially. It's like your refusing to eat your prime rib (that you already bought) because you've also already paid for your Arby's sandwich.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)
Pshhh, if he hit better earlier in the game those "clutch" hits shouldn't even have to occur.

Player A: 2-4 with a double and 2 RBI's

Player B: 1-5, RBI

Give me the guy who produces throughout the game rather than some s***ty plate appearances that leads to us having to come back again to win.

He won three games in a row with game-winning hits, and you're looking for a reason to criticize even that.

What point is there in further discussion?

I'm sorry, but looking for reasons to criticize game-winning hits is unreal.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 02:44 PM)
Im not putting all the blame on Pierre, but he's a guy you can actually do something about!! Don't you guys see that!? We have a young guy, who is immensely talented at the plate (and his defense has been adequate this season with a cannon of an arm) ready to take his place, and we don't have a huge commitment to Pierre financially. It's like your refusing to eat your prime rib (that you already bought) because you've also already paid for your Arby's sandwich.

Except that 100 PAs at this level isn't nearly enough to project a career on, nor is 13 bad games in April enough to end a player's tenure with a professional organization.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 08:44 PM)

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 08:45 PM)
He won three games in a row with game-winning hits, and you're looking for a reason to criticize even that.

What point is there in further discussion?

I'm sorry, but looking for reasons to criticize game-winning hits is unreal.

1.) I would rather see Dayan out there over Pierre. I just get sick of the Pierre negativity when it should be equal opportunity negativity with our horrid offense.

2.) Those 3 games are about the only three we've won lately as well aside from balkgate. There really is no point in further discussion of Juan. People had their minds made up a long time ago. He's Mr. Slappy and easy to hate, though that one homer of his was fun to watch. He tattooed it.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 03:38 PM)
He's hit a number of clutch, game-winning hits recently that should have made up for some of the games he's lost with his glove.

Yes, there's no denying that, but if you honestly think he's more of a sure thing to help us than Viciedo from this point forward...well, to me that's being either ignorant or stubborn.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 03:00 PM)
Yes, there's no denying that, but if you honestly think he's more of a sure thing to help us than Viciedo from this point forward...well, to me that's being either ignorant or stubborn.

So Viciedo is definitely going to hit major league pitching without any struggles. Interesting.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 09:02 PM)
In his stint last year the answer was yes.

I thought Dayan had a big oh-fer near the end of the experiment.

Didn't he have a massive slump in there?

I still want him on the team now.

In Gordon Beckham's first 196 PAs, he hit .302/.368/.465/.833

Over his next 1028 PAs, he's hit roughly .240/.305/.340/.645

I don't need to tell you guys that it's not exactly rare for a hitter to come up and initially light up pitching before the league can adjust to him

This happens with pitchers as well.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 09:13 PM)
In Gordon Beckham's first 196 PAs, he hit .302/.368/.465/.833

Over his next 1028 PAs, he's hit roughly .240/.305/.340/.645

I don't need to tell you guys that it's not exactly rare for a hitter to come up and initially light up pitching before the league can adjust to him

This happens with pitchers as well.

Beckham has been an out machine. He's no better than Getz right now.

Maybe he'll get it going the second half.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 04:02 PM)
So Viciedo is definitely going to hit major league pitching without any struggles. Interesting.

Well according to you Pierre is definitely going to get better

And I definitely was implying he was more of a sure thing than Pierre. The word "definite" or any insinuation of was not present in what I said

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 11:19 AM)
.710 OPS, 71% on stolen bases.

Yeah, that's irreplaceable.

I'm not sure why you would evaluate a leadoff hitter by emphasizing a statistic that equates his slugging with his on base percentage when one is clearly more important than the other within the scope of our offense.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 12:19 PM)
.710 OPS, 71% on stolen bases.

Yeah, that's irreplaceable.

It's not irreplaceable, obviously, but there's more to complain about than Juan Pierre. He's gotten himself going and has not been an issue as we remain torturously close to the top of the division but are going nowhere because we have two worthless, much higher paid players on the roster than Juan Pierre.

I'm going to "tip my cap" to Juan, because at least he's contributing now.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 12:33 PM)
It's not irreplaceable, obviously, but there's more to complain about than Juan Pierre. He's gotten himself going and has not been an issue as we remain torturously close to the top of the division but are going nowhere because we have two worthless, much higher paid players on the roster than Juan Pierre.

I'm going to "tip my cap" to Juan, because at least he's contributing now.

yeah....the feeling of disgust was there over a month ago for Pierre....but now it has focused on Dunn and Rios.

Pierre has redeemed himself in my eyes....I would still love to see Viciedo up however, just replacing somebody else.

Edited by onedude