Pierre - .341 OBP since April 30th

Greg Hibbard

I'm going to "tip my cap" to Juan, because at least he's contributing now.

Me too.

It's funny how people skew stats to their liking.

Juan is hitting .270 or so and has been doing well and hasn't had any major outfield problems since April.

We still hear from some about Rios' talent and potential because of a short stretch last season?

The eye test tells me Juan has been doing great the past several weeks.

If that drives you stat guys crazy, well whatever.

The bottom line is Juan was dead in many people's eyes after one error in April, his first error.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

JP is still dead in my eyes. When you make as much slappy contact as he does, some hits are going to inevitably fall in. I'd venture to guess his BABIP is well over .350 since May 1. Bottomline is he doesn't produce runs. His one tool, speed, has deteriorated considerably. An extra basehit of any kind is out of the question. And then there's that throwing arm.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 08:05 PM)
JP is still dead in my eyes. When you make as much slappy contact as he does, some hits are going to inevitably fall in. I'd venture to guess his BABIP is well over .350 since May 1. Bottomline is he doesn't produce runs. His one tool, speed, has deteriorated considerably. An extra basehit of any kind is out of the question. And then there's that throwing arm.

I know.

He's been buried by most since early April. Truthfully he probably could be hitting .320 and most would despise him.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 02:05 PM)

JP is no stud, and was a huge pile of s*** to start the season, but he's been on pace 42% of the time in July (15 games) and has only score 10 times. You can't blame runs solely on him.

However, he still definitely sucks. I'm just much more disappointed in Dunn and Rios.

Juan Pierre has not sucked since May 1. That is just flat out ignorant and it is the problem with some overly stat happy people. I just can't buy that argument.

I'm not saying he's excelled either, but he's been a serviceable leadoff hitter since May 1.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 08:16 PM)
Juan Pierre has not sucked since May 1. That is just flat out ignorant and it is the problem with some overly stat happy people. I just can't buy that argument.

I'm not saying he's excelled either, but he's been a serviceable leadoff hitter since May 1.

Amen.

Why don't the Juan haters just admit that after he cost us that game with his outfield gaffe early he was dead for the rest of the season in their eyes?

And then he screwed up, what, two more plays in April and they have blasted him evermore.

I do believe he could be hitting .320 and people would say he sucks.

Do you agree?

BTW, Juan does his job in the opener in KC, getting us on the board with his triple and ensuing sac fly.

Yesterday he gets hit and scores a run.

Doesn't matter. Offense.Is.Dead.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 02:27 PM)
What about over the last 300 PAs? Yes, he had an abysmal April.

I'd have to do the math to disregard April. And that's too much work for me. Just because he's not April bad doesn't mean he's good. JP has been below league average for a LF for a while now. Save 2009 when he didn't play everyday. This is key. JP as your #9 hitter is fine. JP with 700+ PAs is no good.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 08:35 PM)
I'd have to do the math to disregard April. And that's too much work for me. Just because he's not April bad doesn't mean he's good. JP has been below league average for a LF for a while now. Save 2009 when he didn't play everyday. This is key. JP as your #9 hitter is fine. JP with 700+ PAs is no good.

It's all relative.

If you like a player you can throw out a month like it's nothing. If you don't like a player, you can harp on the bad month over and over.