Welcome our new 5th starter for 2012, Hector Santiago

caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 09:00 PM)
We could use Addison Reed in the same type of role the Tigers used J. Zumaya when he first came up.

5th-8th inning, and sometimes in the 9th even, when there's a tie game.

Seems Crain will still probably be in his 7th/8th inning role.

Ventura seems to know what he's doing, bringing in Santiago and leaving Rios in the game.

Yeah, that is a good point about using Reed. However, I was thinking that Reed could get a chance here and there in save opportunities. Make him our insurance closer. And doesn't Cooper like having guys with defined roles in the bullpen. And since Crain is coming back from injury and might not be 100%.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 10:14 PM)
:headbang I had to listen to the game on MLB radio, but the ninth sounded pretty sweet.

The Rangers outhit us 10-5 and left about 7 other line drives and hang with 'ems/just missed it's all over the field.

The key play that inning with definitely Alexei Ramirez's basket catch in short LCF. The runner reaches there and the entire complexion of that inning is changed.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 10:18 PM)
The Rangers outhit us 10-5 and left about 7 other line drives and hang with 'ems/just missed it's all over the field.

The key play that inning with definitely Alexei Ramirez's basket catch in short LCF. The runner reaches there and the entire complexion of that inning is changed.

I'm pretty sure if Alexei didn't catch it, Gordon would have. His mitt was just underneath Alexei's.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 10:20 PM)
I'm pretty sure if Alexei didn't catch it, Gordon would have. His mitt was just underneath Alexei's.

Definitely not. Beckham would have missed it by at least a foot. That play by Alexei was tremendous.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 10:18 PM)

Good point. Better teams manage to win games they should have lost and bad teams manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. It is too small of a sample size but I wouldn't mind a season of winning ugly.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 07:01 AM)
Good point. Better teams manage to win games they should have lost and bad teams manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. It is too small of a sample size but I wouldn't mind a season of winning ugly.

To tell the truth, felt like a 90% chance Thornton was going to walk Napoli there. The crowd was going nuts, and it was a bit of surprise that he was still in there instead of bringing in Crain with the bases loaded, but it was a refreshing show of confidence in Matty by Ventura (instead of going with Ozzie's typical L/R match-up stuff). There was a high strike call that was very borderline, so I guess it evened out some of Winters' bad calls on Friday against Gordon and Dayan.

Apparently, if Santiago had given up the tying run, then Crain was going to enter the game, if it went to extras.

We let the opener get away, and this felt like a game we were heading in the direction of a loss after they tied it at 3-3 and Peavy seemed to be struggling. That's the beauty of baseball.

Not to mention the fact that a similar play that Hamilton snared Friday, DeAza ended up letting the ball get all the way to the wall, Peavy was about to fall apart, balks, bobbled balls on the infield, but he managed to right the ship and limit the damage.

Guess we should all give up looking for that 95-97 MPH heater from Peavy and just hope 1) he can stay healthy and be a quality starter and 2) we can save some money on his contract and/or get some decent prospects back in return at the deadline.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 12:53 AM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,3273164.story

A blue collar kid that fits in perfectly with the new direction of the Sox...

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Santiago became the first rookie since the save rule was instituted in 1969 to save his team's first win for a first-year manager.

I just posted this same info on another thread. Sorry.

• 4 months later...

Couldn't resist the opportunity to bump this thread.

However, I was 5 months off in my prediction...

Was also WAY off in thinking Sale would stay in the bullpen at that point, although nobody could have been sure in the middle of 2011 what we had exactly in Chris.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 3, 2012 -> 09:34 PM)
Couldn't resist the opportunity to bump this thread.

However, I was 5 months off in my prediction...

Was also WAY off in thinking Sale would stay in the bullpen at that point, although nobody could have been sure in the middle of 2011 what we had exactly in Chris.

It is a change from bumping the "Viciedo Not Worth Wait" thread . . .

The problem is that you could argue the same old Viciedo argument and 95% of the board knows Dayan has to be successful with us as an everyday player in 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 for the Sox offense to amount to anything at all.

23 year olds who post "average" OPS numbers with his low OBP at age 23, with his raw power, and his throwing arm...apparently they are a dime a dozen, and you can identify 10-20 similar players in the high minors who could replicate what Dayan has done.

Same with Beckham.

And since Paulie's only one RBI ahead of Alexei Ramirez, shouldn't we be trading BOTH of them before their value further erodes next year?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 3, 2012 -> 10:03 PM)
The problem is that you could argue the same old Viciedo argument and 95% of the board knows Dayan has to be successful with us as an everyday player in 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 for the Sox offense to amount to anything at all.

23 year olds who post "average" OPS numbers with his low OBP at age 23, with his raw power, and his throwing arm...apparently they are a dime a dozen, and you can identify 10-20 similar players in the high minors who could replicate what Dayan has done.

Same with Beckham.

And since Paulie's only one RBI ahead of Alexei Ramirez, shouldn't we be trading BOTH of them before their value further erodes next year?

Are RBI's an important statistic for you?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 3, 2012 -> 10:08 PM)

By that stat, Alexei Ramirez is the most effective SS in the American League.

Runs scored and runs driven in=runs created, right?

It's Steve Stones' favorite stat, it seems.

By OPS, Ramirez is 8th out of 10 qualified hitters.

By WAR, the 10th best AL SS out of 33.

• 6 months later...
QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 3, 2012 -> 09:08 PM)

Of course.

BUMP.

Now that it's becoming more and more likely that Santiago will be the fifth starter, at least for one month, we should revisit his numbers from four starts last year.

I'm not so sure his numbers as a starter wouldn't/won't be better than Danks or Quintana this year.

19.3 IP

12 hits

4 ER

11 BB (a bit high)

26 K's (very impressive, and something Danks and Quintana struggle with)

1.86 ERA (2-0 as a starter)

Of course, one huge area of concern with Santiago is both control and pitch count.