Fan dies after fall at Rangers game

TheBlackSox8

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...lb&c_id=mlb

ARLINGTON -- An unidentified adult male passed away Thursday after falling approximately 20 feet from section 5 in the left field lower reserved seats to the area behind the out-of-town scoreboard at Rangers Ballpark.

"We are deeply saddened that the man who fell has passed away as a result of this tragic accident," Rangers president Nolan Ryan said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with his family."

There were no other people injured. The fan fell in the second inning while leaning over the front-row railing trying to catch a ball that had been tossed into the stands by left fielder Josh Hamilton.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Video.

You see him fall, and that's really it. Might be taken down soon because of MLB rights issues, so not sure how long the video will be up.

I can't imagine how Hamilton feels. This is just so sad. Such a freak thing. Can't even imagine the horror for the guy's son.

Edited by maggsmaggs

I re-watched it and looked for his child. Got sick chills seeing his son on the video.

Two eerie coincidences:

1) It is almost one year to the day that another fan died at that stadium (366 days ago to be exact)

2) Last year's fan was a firefighter and apparently this guy was, too.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/news/story?id=6747510

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 01:25 AM)
Hamilton can now add manslaughter to his terrific resume

I'd think that the legalese on the backs of the tickets would be enough to avoid criminal charges. I'm not sure about civil court, though.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 01:46 PM)
Just s***ty luck, if Hamilton just threw that ball 3 feet higher, the kid would still have his dad...it's not JH's fault but he's gotta feel like crap today.

Tragic...

How many times do you think that thought must have gone through his head last night?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 12:48 PM)
How many times do you think that thought must have gone through his head last night?

interested in seeing how he deals with this as the season goes on. Wonder if he plays tonight?

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 12:42 AM)
I'd think that the legalese on the backs of the tickets would be enough to avoid criminal charges. I'm not sure about civil court, though.

Really? He could get sued for that? I would hope any judge would laugh that out of court.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-ran...ark-history.ece

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-ran...he-is-dead_.ece

Ziegler's reaction...btw, I'm pretty sure those A's announcers feel terrible too, they're going to get hate mail because of all the people watching the video on youtube, etc., and not understanding that they had zero idea what was actually going on behind the scenes, it's just such an unusual circumstance with a 20 foot fall killing someone

Apparently the Josh Hamilton "press conference" is happening right now, 4 pm CST. Weird they're selling the tickets (those 2 seats) for tonight's game, but cover that gap area again with a tarp. A little bit morbid to sit in those seats after what happened. I don't know what you do, actually. Seems it was covered before, but too many fans were falling onto it going after home run balls so they removed it.

http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/archives...-where-fan.html

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 04:00 PM)
Really? He could get sued for that? I would hope any judge would laugh that out of court.

I think with all the money the Rangers Foundation is giving privately, the fundraisers they're doing in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area (including all the games this weekend)...and I'm sure some of the players like Hamilton and his wife will also get involved, they're hoping to head it off at the pass. They're even wearing black armbands as well. And you can bet they'll let that kid throw out the first pitch and spend a lot of time around those ballplayers and Nolan Ryan, former President Bush and Laura Bush, etc.

The main argument they could make was that the gap was covered before...but it was removed when it became such a nuisance with fans jumping/falling onto it going after home run balls. Surely those fans couldn't have been kicked out of the game, since they wouldn't have been interefering with a ball in play. So the argument will be did the "nuisance to the Rangers" of fans constantly jumping/falling onto the cover override the safety concerns of falling onto a concrete area filled with metal poles/scoreboard stanchions?

He died from "blunt force head trauma," largely because of the concrete under there I'm sure.

Edited by caulfield12