Fan dies after fall at Rangers game

TheBlackSox8

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anybody see or hear about this?

Again highlighting the dangers of trying to catch a ball at a big league ballpark, a fan standing on a table above the pool deck, Keith Carmickle of suburban Kingman, fell over trying to catch a Prince Fielder(notes) homer. The fan was grabbed by his brother before going all the way over, where he could have fallen about 20 feet, and was dangling by his feet when he was pulled back up.

“I stepped up on the table, I missed the ball by 2 or 3 feet and went over,” he said. “We caught three balls and I told the guys I was going to go for the cycle. Dude, they were really holding onto me.”

Last week, a 39-year-old fan, Shannon Stone, died while trying to catch a ball thrown into the stands at a Rangers game in Arlington, Texas.

Jesus f***ing christ, people. Get a clue. It's a damn baseball! And this dumbass had already snagged three of 'em. Of course, it would've been Prince Fielder's fault or the Dbacks Organization's fault had the guy fell.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 11:15 PM)
Did anybody see or hear about this?

Jesus f***ing christ, people. Get a clue. It's a damn baseball! And this dumbass had already snagged three of 'em. Of course, it would've been Prince Fielder's fault or the Dbacks Organization's fault had the guy fell.

Darwin has a term for this...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 07:54 AM)
Darwin has a term for this...

Is MLB going to have to put up 8' high fences to stop dumbasses from falling over trying to catch baseballs? Or, do they let them fall and die, there by eliminating them from the gene pool? #DarwinAwards

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 10:10 AM)
Is MLB going to have to put up 8' high fences to stop dumbasses from falling over trying to catch baseballs? Or, do they let them fall and die, there by eliminating them from the gene pool? #DarwinAwards

The departed firefighter is happy to know that you've judged him to be a dumbass.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 09:11 AM)
The departed firefighter is happy to know that you've judged him to be a dumbass.

If you fall over a railing trying to catch a silly baseball, then you sir are a dumbass.

Additionally, if you are a grown adult scrambling over seats and running over people to get a HR ball, you too are a dumbass.

I understand he was trying to get a ball for his kid, I have no problem with the motives behind it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 09:45 AM)
AH jeez, I bet it was McDonald's fault when that dumbass lady burned herself with hot coffee. Sometimes stupidity is at fault.

FYI McDonalds served their coffee much hotter than industry recommendations and hotter than competitors, McDonalds had had over 700 complaints about the temperature of their coffee and had settled many cases resulting from injuries to their too hot coffee. The lady involved asked for her current and future medical bills covered ($18,000) McDonalds refused. She THEN hired an attorney, who asked for $90,000, which McD refused. McD ultimately paid somewhere around $500,000. If you go to a faucet and turn on the hot water and it is set to scald you in 3 seconds are you a dumbass because the faucet said hot, or is the company at fault for setting a temperature way higher than accepted or usual? How would you feel after learning 700 people were injured from that faucet, and they settled those cases?

I am certain the railing will be raised, if nothing else, because attendance may suffer. When I sat in the front row of the Cell's UD, it took me three or four innings to be comfortable, there is no way I would have even stood to catch a ball.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 05:49 PM)
Ironically every other coffee place serves it in the same temperature range.

Wrong

The trial took place from August 8–17, 1994, before Judge Robert H. Scott.[15] During the case, Liebeck's attorneys discovered that McDonald's required franchises to serve coffee at 180–190 °F (82–88 °C). At that temperature, the coffee would cause a third-degree burn in two to seven seconds. Stella Liebeck's attorney argued that coffee should never be served hotter than 140 °F (60 °C), and that a number of other establishments served coffee at a substantially lower temperature than McDonald's. Liebeck's lawyers presented the jury with evidence that 180 °F (82 °C) coffee like that McDonald’s served may produce third-degree burns (where skin grafting is necessary) in about 12 to 15 seconds. Lowering the temperature to 160 °F (71 °C) would increase the time for the coffee to produce such a burn to 20 seconds. (A British court later rejected this argument as scientifically false finding that 149 °F (65 °C) liquid could cause deep tissue damage in only two seconds.[16]) Liebeck's attorneys argued that these extra seconds could provide adequate time to remove the coffee from exposed skin, thereby preventing many burns. McDonald's claimed that the reason for serving such hot coffee in its drive-through windows was that those who purchased the coffee typically were commuters who wanted to drive a distance with the coffee; the high initial temperature would keep the coffee hot during the trip.[5] McDonalds research showed customers intend to consume the coffee while driving to their destination.[17]

Other documents obtained from McDonald's showed that from 1982 to 1992 the company had received more than 700 reports of people burned by McDonald's coffee to varying degrees of severity, and had settled claims arising from scalding injuries for more than $500,000.[5] McDonald's quality control manager, Christopher Appleton, testified that this number of injuries was insufficient to cause the company to evaluate its practices. He argued that all foods hotter than 130 °F (54 °C) constituted a burn hazard, and that restaurants had more pressing dangers to warn about. The plaintiffs argued that Appleton conceded that McDonald's coffee would burn the mouth and throat if consumed when served.[18]

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 10:46 AM)
Wrong

Bad google search by you. Coffee at starbucks is brewed at 212 degress and served at around 180. My coffee today from La Colombe was served at 190, I know because i checked it with an instant read thermometer. You can even google the legal cases again starbucks, some of which were burned by 200 degree coffee.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 01:37 PM)
You can't tell me that's not a safety hazard.

fan_almost_falls_from_chase_field_stands

Seriously? If the guy is willing to climb up on top of a four foot table to try for his 3rd baseball, I'm not sure what outside of barbed wire or an electric fence you would need to stop this guy from being incredibly stupid. There is already a fairly substantial rail there that the dude just chose to ignore.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 02:43 PM)
Seriously? If the guy is willing to climb up on top of a four foot table to try for his 3rd baseball, I'm not sure what outside of barbed wire or an electric fence you would need to stop this guy from being incredibly stupid. There is already a fairly substantial rail there that the dude just chose to ignore.

Maybe my eyes deceive me, but it looks to me like the wire is on the far side of the table, not on the people-side, that the wires run below the table as part of the short railing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 01:44 PM)
Maybe my eyes deceive me, but it looks to me like the wire is on the far side of the table, not on the people-side, that the wires run below the table as part of the short railing.

So that is an invitation to climb on top of the table? If that is the case, how are you still alive from all of these temptations you must see on a daily basis?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 01:43 PM)

It's sick how stupid people can be. I'm sorry that the father died because he reached a little over the railing, but I wouldn't give two s***s if that moron fell off of that table and got impaled by a fencepost. I f***ing hate that everything has to be idiot-proofed because of these jagoffs and the possibility that they might sue due to their own stupidity.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 11:44 AM)

Looks to me like that table is there not only to serve as a table but also to prevent people from getting all of their upper body weight over the usual type of railing. So what happens? Some dolt stands on it going for the cycle. Greedy and stupid is no way to go through life son to paraphrase Animal House.

The Rangers said that despite the fact the rails exceed safety code, they are raising the heights of all rails in the front row of seating to "the highest standard in the United States at this time," according to the club's release.

"The safety of our fans is our top priority," said Rangers CEO and president Nolan Ryan, who was released from the hospital Tuesday after undergoing tests that determined there were no new developments in the recurrence of a previous heart condition. "The initiatives we are announcing today for Rangers Ballpark in Arlington will help to ensure that we meet that priority."

While the work is being completed, the Rangers also have added signage and new rules for fans. Signs reading: "Do not lean, sit on, or stand against rail" will be installed (in all capital letters) on the railings in front of all outfield seating and on all upper-level seating, including the two suite levels.

The club will make pregame announcements on the public address system and on the scoreboard reminding fans of these initiatives, and there will be security and customer-service staff watching fans near the rails to enforce the policy.

Link