What trade would you make

fathom

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 05:06 PM)
I love Mark as much as anyone on this board outside of Rowand and Heads. But this organization is bigger than Mark. By AL standards, he's a #4 starter. If he wants $12 million a year for another 3-4 years, see ya! If he's willing to take a discount or if you can get a piece or two that will help you well into the future, you do it. Baseball is a cruel business. No room for sensitivity or nostalgia.

Just a guess, but I'm thinking Mark will probably only want to commit for a couple more years at a time anyway, maybe with a mutual option on a third year. Works well for both parties with a shorter commitment.

A #4 starter? That's at least 1 level too harsh. You must love a whole lotta teams' staffs.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 06:23 PM)
Honestly, if this team doesn't plan on letting go of the coaching staff outside of Don, then I blow up the entire thing. You probably wouldn't be able to move Dunn. You have an outside chance at moving Rios.

Danks, Buehrle, and Humber(if you can get someone to overpay for him)

Konerko, Beckham, Pierre, Pierzynski, Quentin and Rios also gone.

I want Viciedo up and I want to obtain the best prospects by far. Not even positional fits, but literally, just the best prospects we can get.

This. Though I'd try and build around Beckham (give him tape to go back to the gap to gap, OBP stud he was comming up through the system/half a year in the bigs), Danks (give him Buehrle money, though I view Danks potential highly than others, still only 26) and Viciedo. Everyone else can go. Ideally, I would still keep guys like Konerko (don't really have a stud 1B in the system barring trade from another player for prospects, though I like Marrero even with Kotchman-like power) Quentin (move him back to LF, Tank to RF) and Santos (though I think Reed is the future) I'm not opposed at all to see them gone. I'd give Dunn another year as well. (He ain't nearly this bad) And of course.. I'd offer whatever Beane wants for Gio back. (I love Gio. :D)

Edited by SoxAce

SoxAce, you can't keep Danks around and pay him superstar money....not with Dunn, Peavy and Rios still on the payroll.

This is going to have to be a return to the pre-2005 thinking again. How can they split/allocate resources so you can get 4-8 players to contribute for the same amount of money you'd pay Buehrle and/or Danks.

You've also got to make a decision about trading Carlos Quentin to free up more salary room, because he's one of the most tradeable assets in the current market for power hitters.

Reed better have some totally nasty, dominating stuff that you would project him over Santos at this point. 17/20 save conversion rate is about as good as Bobby Jenks ever put up for us.

But yeah, if you build around the core of Konerko, Beckham, Ramirez and Viciedo, that's a pretty good start. And we've got some new pitching assets in Humber and possibly even Hector Santiago, along with Sale.

Christian Marrero seems doomed to the same fate as David Cook and Maurice Gartrell with our organization.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 06:56 PM)
SoxAce, you can't keep Danks around and pay him superstar money....not with Dunn, Peavy and Rios still on the payroll.

This is going to have to be a return to the pre-2005 thinking again. How can they split/allocate resources so you can get 4-8 players to contribute for the same amount of money you'd pay Buehrle and/or Danks.

You've also got to make a decision about trading Carlos Quentin to free up more salary room, because he's one of the most tradeable assets in the current market for power hitters.

Reed better have some totally nasty, dominating stuff that you would project him over Santos at this point. 17/20 save conversion rate is about as good as Bobby Jenks ever put up for us.

But yeah, if you build around the core of Konerko, Beckham, Ramirez and Viciedo, that's a pretty good start. And we've got some new pitching assets in Humber and possibly even Hector Santiago, along with Sale.

Christian Marrero seems doomed to the same fate as David Cook and Maurice Gartrell with our organization.

Well thats why this thread is "what trades you would make" which obviously most of the moves won't happen (hell I agreed with nite about a firesale, and that is NOT my M.O.) And Christian just doesn't have a spot to play yet (which couldn't be said with Cook when there was like 3 spots open with players not hitting) Like i said though, I view Danks very, very highly. Thought he was a stud prospect back in the DVD days in Texas. Unless he wants 80+ million, you move him, but if he makes Buehrle money, I'd keep him. Obviously if Peavy, Dunn, etc.. are still here, you buyout Peavy's last year on his contract, and see what Dunn does next year to help his trade value IF you were to trade him.

And s***, totally forgot about Sale. Yea.. you keep him too.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 07:03 PM)
Well thats why this thread is "what trades you would make" which obviously most of the moves won't happen (hell I agreed with nite about a firesale, and that is NOT my M.O.) And Christian just doesn't have a spot to play yet (which couldn't be said with Cook when there was like 3 spots open with players not hitting) Like i said though, I view Danks very, very highly. Thought he was a stud prospect back in the DVD days in Texas. Unless he wants 80+ million, you move him, but if he makes Buehrle money, I'd keep him.

And s***, totally forgot about Sale. Yea.. you keep him too.

So you would give Danks $75-80 million and 5 years without blinking?

That's just a notch above Mark's current salary.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 07:06 PM)
So you would give Danks $75-80 million and 5 years without blinking?

That's just a notch above Mark's current salary.

If Danks wants 4/56, yes. I don't agree with JR on alot of things, but I do agree that I'm not a fan of giving pitchers 5+ year contracts. You've got Beckham, Sale, Viciedo, Santos, Alexei (I would keep him cause of his contract) all under control for cheap plus the prospects you'd acquire (even if only TWO pan out).. I would think even this org. can work a budget around that. Like I've said for the 1,000th time though.. I view Danks very highly on this staff (more than others here, the same way Jason views Gavin Floyd)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 06:11 PM)
If Danks wants 4/56, yes. I don't agree with JR on alot of things, but I do agree that I'm not a fan of giving pitchers 5+ year contracts. You've got Beckham, Sale, Viciedo, Santos, Alexei (I would keep him cause of his contract) all under control for cheap plus the prospects you'd acquire (even if only TWO pan out).. I would think even this org. can work a budget around that. Like I've said for the 1,000th time though.. I view Danks very highly on this staff (more than others here, the same way Jason views Gavin Floyd)

VIEWED Gavin Floyd.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 06:56 PM)

konerko is not a good start on a rebuilding team.

Well, before this week, I didn't think it would be possible for JR to sign off on trading Konerko away but now I don't even care if we're just going to figure out every conceivable way to blow game after game to the Royals and Twinkies.

Every starting pitcher is on the block...

Santos and Sale, you keep. If you can get a good deal for Crain or Thornton, why not?

Then you keep Ramirez, Beckham (maybe), Viciedo and Morel (hopefully he can start hitting for some power) and look for a new catcher, corner outfielder and figure out what the hell to do with Dunn and Rios.

I think Dunn eventually will be okay. Rios, not so sure.

9 straight losses....and 7-30 against Minnesota. 14 of their last 16 at USCF.

Hahn as GM and whoever he and JR want to bring in as manager.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 10:56 PM)
Trading Ramirez at 30 years old isn't the worst idea. He'd bring a lot.

Better do it now, before he starts making $5+ million in 2012.

Welcome Lillibridge/Beckham/Kuhn/Omar/Escobar to fight it out as the starter there.

On second thought, there's no way you move Beckham back, he's arguably one of the best AL defenders at his position. Omar's too old.

That leaves Lillibridge (with a new hitting instructor) and Escobar realistically, with Saladino at least a year out.

Or we acquire a top prospect from another organization.

Overall though, I'm not so sure Alexei would be the one to go....Quentin, Jackson and Danks (if not signable) would be the first three. At this point, I could care less about keeping Gavin Floyd around, too. He has quite a bit in common with Javy Vazquez right now.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 11:04 PM)
Better do it now, before he starts making $5+ million in 2012.

That's actually pretty cheap for a top-flight SS. He's one I'd hang on too IMO...

plus...I'd really rather have him on the team when Dayan is called up. Worth it...

Edited by Wanne

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 11:09 PM)
That's actually pretty cheap for a top-flight SS. He's one I'd hang on too IMO...

Yeah, it's the same we're paying Quentin this year, basically.

Which is why Danks, Ramirez and Quentin are the 3 most desired targets for other teams (not including Sale and Santos).

And having a fellow Cuban around to make Dayan's transition easier makes a lot of sense. Especially if we don't have a manager who can speak their language next year.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 11:12 PM)
Yeah, it's the same we're paying Quentin this year, basically.

Which is why Danks, Ramirez and Quentin are the 3 most desired targets for other teams (not including Sale and Santos).

See your point caulfield...but I really don't want to worry about a SS. If the return is good...then ok...but it all depends on the return. I just cant see the Sox getting rid of him unless they are overwhelmed.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 11:17 PM)
Lillibridge and a free agent MI could fill in okay for 2012.

Defense wouldn't be as good but the return from Alexei would really boost the quality of the minors.

refresh my memory...who's in the wings? Escobar and Saladino?

Rios to ATL for Lowe.

Quentin to the Pirates for Jameson Taillon (pipe dream) and Stetson Allie.

Danks and Flowers to the Yankees for Jesus Montero.

Konerko will probably never be dealt, although I would do it in a heartbeat if a team offered 2 top notch prospects and one or 2 solid ones.

I'd rather keep Ramirez.

No team will take AJ.

I would trade Buehrle, but like Konerko, he won't go anywhere.

Go into next year like this, and prepare for a top 5 pick:

Lillibridge LF

Ramirez SS

Konerko 1B

Dunn DH

Viciedo RF

Montero C

Beckham 2B

De Aza CF

Morel 3B

Buehrle

Peavy

Humber

Sale

Lowe

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 12:22 AM)
How good can he possibly be then? As in, who does he compare to? I don't follow the Sox farm as much as other teams'.

IMO, he compares to Ozzie Guillen.

Not much with the bat, but a flash at SS.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 11:22 PM)
How good can he possibly be then? As in, who does he compare to? I don't follow the Sox farm as much as other teams'.

I cringe when I say this...but he reminds me of Orlando Cabrera without the sass.