Golfing Thread

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 04:25 PM)
You didn't watch it...I'm not going to argue with you anymore when you didn't even see it.

Edit: And btw, we should discount Faldo's opinion because of those reasons but not yours?

Watch what? His shot and the next 6 holes? Yes, I did watch it. I watched a guy react weirdly to the shots he was talking, at one point falling to his knees. At no point did it cross my mind that he was acting hurt (pretty convincingly apparently) so that he could leave. I thought, wow, he's hitting some terrible shots, I wonder if he's ok.

And yes, you should discount Faldo's opinion that "well that shot didn't look that bad to me" = Tiger's not really hurt/hurting.

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's even assume he was hurt, but not badly, and still quit because he was playing poorly. So what? Why does that matter? He's not going to win, and if anything he's going to make it worse and then lose a shot at possibly playing in the PGA Championship this week.

I don't understand why you think he's some terrible person or unprofessional or whatever for this. It makes zero sense to me.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 02:58 PM)
Let's even assume he was hurt, but not badly, and still quit because he was playing poorly. So what? Why does that matter? He's not going to win, and if anything he's going to make it worse and then lose a shot at possibly playing in the PGA Championship this week.

I don't understand why you think he's some terrible person or unprofessional or whatever for this. It makes zero sense to me.

I never said he was a terrible person. I merely stated I didn't think he was actually injured, and therefore, it wasn't a bad decision to play this week.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 01:06 PM)
Gotta compare it to the Cutler situation. He's not hurt! He could have played! He quit!

I'm with Jenks, I'm not buying it.

And btw, this has nothing to do with football...what kind of comparison is that? You're comparing a team sport to an individual sport; whether a guy wants to play hurt or not has entirely different implications.

Secondly, I'm not making an argument that he should have continued to play. He's a grown man playing for himself; he can do whatever he chooses. Jason Dufner withdrew after 8 holes today. I could care less. Reason he even bothered at all is because it's a major and he's the defending champ.

And btw, this has nothing to do with football...what kind of comparison is that? You're comparing a team sport to an individual sport; whether a guy wants to play hurt or not has entirely different implications.

Secondly, I'm not making an argument that he should have continued to play. He's a grown man playing for himself; he can do whatever he chooses. Jason Dufner withdrew after 8 holes today. I could care less. Reason he even bothered at all is because it's a major and he's the defending champ.

Yeah, but there's an alternate who didn't get to play because Dufner decided to tee off before withdrawing. Some guy does that back in 1991 and we never hear of John Daly.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 04:44 PM)
Yeah, but there's an alternate who didn't get to play because Dufner decided to tee off before withdrawing. Some guy does that back in 1991 and we never hear of John Daly.

Yeah, but I'm not that guy...and I respect Dufner's right to give it a shot. Kuchar withdrew and the alternate (John Huh) shot 78.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 06:11 PM)

Because you trotted out the same thing during Cutler, did you not?

You don't believe someone's hurt, and/or think they should be playing through it. It's the same situation.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 06:13 PM)
Because you trotted out the same thing during Cutler, did you not?

You don't believe someone's hurt, and/or think they should be playing through it. It's the same situation.

I never questioned whether Jay was injured. I did think he could have continued to play, or at the very least, not sit and pout about it on the sideline. I do question whether Tiger was actually injured.

What the relevance of that is in this discussion, I'm still waiting to hear.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 08:25 PM)
So because I questioned whether they were both actually injured, then the situations are the same...got it.

Just pointing out that you are doing it yet again. The whole thing sounded very familiar, just not quite as ridiculous as the first time.

Not sure how the situations aren't similar.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 06:29 PM)
Just pointing out that you are doing it yet again. The whole thing sounded very familiar, just not quite as ridiculous as the first time.

Not sure how the situations aren't similar.

Twice in how many years, Krush? That is incredible logic.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 01:48 PM)
Tiger at +7....still playing....no fake injuries yet.

And I love how he pulls out the old man aching back routine only after he plays like s***. If you're really hurting, you shouldn't be trying to hit hybrids out of the rough on an uphill lie. Then he runs up after he hit it to see where it went, then when he sees it's another crappy shot, "oh, my back!"

Whatever. The dude is a train wreck right now.

Feherety mentioned he's not even limping properly ;)

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 09:37 PM)
I don't bet on golf. As soon as we did I folded

Now imagine playing in front of tens of thousands in the gallery for a purse of $10 million....I read a book called Paper Tiger about a guy who spent a year trying to get his tour card...he actually made it to a +handicap but whenever he would play tournaments he'd shoot in the 80's or 90's. He started seeing a sports psychologist and described some of the concepts he shared with him. I've been trying to use them lately and it has helped quite a bit with my mental game.

One thing that messes with my head though is when I'm walking the course and there are people in carts behind me. I can't stand the notion of holding people up, even if there is a group directly in front of me that I am waiting on. For whatever reason I just cannot concentrate.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 11:37 PM)
I don't bet on golf. As soon as we did I folded

Sounds like the vets played you like the new fish you are.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 9, 2014 -> 09:43 PM)
What a day at the PGA Championship!

Quite the leaderboard, tomorrow should be fun. We have a 11:30 tee time, should make it home in time to watch the end.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 9, 2014 -> 08:04 PM)
Sounds like the vets played you like the new fish you are.

Quite the leaderboard, tomorrow should be fun. We have a 11:30 tee time, should make it home in time to watch the end.

I've got Rickie @12-1 for a small bet...I went out and played after he finished today...hoping to do the same tomorrow.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)
Should be a great Sunday at Valhalla. One of the better Sunday leaderboards at a major in a while, certainly in 2014 as Watson, Kaymer and McIlroy all had relatively easy Sunday victoriees

I wish it would stop freaking raining