Golfing Thread

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 05:40 PM)
Not sure...for instance, your g25's are very strong...32 degree 7-iron...ping eye 2 7-irons were 36 degrees....my titleist ap2 7-iron is 34.

The iron number means nothing...the loft is the number that matters...a lot of pros have iron sets with loft numbers on them and not traditional iron numbers.

I-25's mofo!!

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 04:33 PM)
Man, I bet I could get it to where you could half swing and get it that far. I am an 8 or a 9 iron from 150 with a smooth swing.

Wow, I'm nearly 6'4 and if I hit it well I may get my 7 iron in the 140 yard range and that's my best hitting club. I must be doing something wrong or just really weak.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 03:41 PM)
Wow, I'm nearly 6'4 and if I hit it well I may get my 7 iron in the 140 yard range and that's my best hitting club. I must be doing something wrong or just really weak.

it's all about your swing speed, attack angle and dynamic loft...

38 today. Was a nice round because I only hit 3 greens but got up and down 3 times. Almost had my first ace, too. Ball just barely rolled by the hole and came to rest about a foot past the hole.

Nice to score well even when the ball-striking is a bit off.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 05:45 PM)
it's all about your swing speed, attack angle and dynamic loft...

I'm a terrible golfer (happy when I break 100), but for some reason I'm able to hit the ball a decent distance. 150 is a 9-iron for me. If I only I could get that hitting it straight thing down. And also if I made a better effort to get out there more.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 05:28 AM)
I'm a terrible golfer (happy when I break 100), but for some reason I'm able to hit the ball a decent distance. 150 is a 9-iron for me. If I only I could get that hitting it straight thing down. And also if I made a better effort to get out there more.

Most likely your length. Longer levers = faster swing speed.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)
I'm weird with my irons and I think it's mostly mental. I can hit a PW 130-135. My 7 is like 155-160 max. My 5 iron about 200-205. It makes little sense.

Yeah, a lot of the time it is comfort. A lot of people just "like" one club more than the other and therefore probably put better swings on it than clubs they don't "like."

It can be a dynamic loft issue, but that is unlikely...but possible...say you were delofting your short irons by moving the shaft angle forward or something, but actually adding loft to your longer irons by having an impact position where your shaft angle was further back....but with you, you've got a short distance sort of in the middle...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 12:54 PM)
Yeah, a lot of the time it is comfort. A lot of people just "like" one club more than the other and therefore probably put better swings on it than clubs they don't "like."

It can be a dynamic loft issue, but that is unlikely...but possible...say you were delofting your short irons by moving the shaft angle forward or something, but actually adding loft to your longer irons by having an impact position where your shaft angle was further back....but with you, you've got a short distance sort of in the middle...

I think it's a matter of swing speed. I think I usually try to crush my PW and long irons, whereas my 6-9 irons are more laid back depending on the distance i'm going for.

Crappy 9 holes yesterday. Was pretty windy out there, but some days I just feel sore enough that I think my body compensates in other ways for what it doesn't want to do and my ball-striking goes out the window.

I need to get on a fitness program that allows me to sustain playing golf 3-5 times a week without being so sore. I've been fighting a strained oblique for about a month now that isn't any fun either.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)
Crappy 9 holes yesterday. Was pretty windy out there, but some days I just feel sore enough that I think my body compensates in other ways for what it doesn't want to do and my ball-striking goes out the window.

I need to get on a fitness program that allows me to sustain playing golf 3-5 times a week without being so sore. I've been fighting a strained oblique for about a month now that isn't any fun either.

I walked 9 in 90 degree heat. Tough one.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 11:49 AM)
Just jumped on Game Golf on ebay for $169...was sort of on the fence but figured I'd pop for it if I found a good price...

I'll report back to you guys on what I think once I get out there with it a few times.

Yeah I am interested in seeing your feedback, sounds awesome.

First round with Game Golf. Shot 81. Not a good day driving the ball, and didn't play very well, but nothing horrible. Interesting to see the data. Some of the distances are a bit suspect...for instance, I hit a 9-iron on a par 3 that I paced off at 143, pin was maybe 4 yards back of center, ball ended up pin high. Looking at the round afterwards, the tracker shows the shot went 165 yards. Not possible. But overall, really neat. I'm sure once I get a number of rounds in the data will sort of filter out some of the anomalies. Shows a 262 yard average with the driver, which looked about right...I hit a few really easy drives today and smoked a few...265-270 is right about where I figured I was at. Had one of my worst putting days in a long time...2 or 3 3-putts and the only birdie I made was a 2-putt where I drove the green on a par 4.

Jeesh, the more I look at these numbers the more I realize just how much this can really point out your weaknesses and showing you where to devote your practice time to.

Round 2 with game golf today. Drove the ball a little better, hitting 57% of fairways which led to hitting 50% of greens. Didn't hit particularly accurate iron shots though...never had many close opportunities for birdie. Did make a 33-footer for birdie on the first hole, but that was it. Made a few 20-something footers for par. Median average drive is 284 yards, and 1.9 putts per GIR.

Overall, I can tell this is going to be a really fun tool. Just have to keep adding rounds so the data becomes more meaningful.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 10:32 AM)
Anyone play any golf over the holiday weekend?

I had interesting rounds of 85/92/79

Oh the joys of golf...

I played yesterday. Shot a "96" (couple of foot wedges I didn't count). One of the worst all around rounds in I don't even know how long. I've had some 90 scores here and there over the years, but that's generally due to some real bad driving in water/OB or just not being able to putt at all to save my life. This was a case of not being able to hit anything well all day. Even when I hit perfect drives 250-260 to the center of the fairway, i'd chunk the 2nd shot 10-15 yards short or scold it 10-15 yards past. I think I did that at least 4 times. I was in bunkers all day. My pitches were consistently short. I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on. Absolutely miserable.

My bro in law had a sweet shot though. Off the green about 10-15 yards, maybe 20-25 yards to the pin. He worm burns a pitch he was trying to flop right at the stick. This thing was going 50 mph and would have gone 30 yards over the other side of the green. Instead, he nails the flag stick about 3 inches above the hole perfectly square and it drops straight in. I've never seen anything like it before.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)
I played yesterday. Shot a "96" (couple of foot wedges I didn't count). One of the worst all around rounds in I don't even know how long. I've had some 90 scores here and there over the years, but that's generally due to some real bad driving in water/OB or just not being able to putt at all to save my life. This was a case of not being able to hit anything well all day. Even when I hit perfect drives 250-260 to the center of the fairway, i'd chunk the 2nd shot 10-15 yards short or scold it 10-15 yards past. I think I did that at least 4 times. I was in bunkers all day. My pitches were consistently short. I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on. Absolutely miserable.

My bro in law had a sweet shot though. Off the green about 10-15 yards, maybe 20-25 yards to the pin. He worm burns a pitch he was trying to flop right at the stick. This thing was going 50 mph and would have gone 30 yards over the other side of the green. Instead, he nails the flag stick about 3 inches above the hole perfectly square and it drops straight in. I've never seen anything like it before.

Hah, have to love that! I dropped a chip yesterday for birdie and hit another pin, but it didn't drop like your bro in law's did.

I had a similar day on Sunday to yours...just miserable...started off double/double/double and never really had my head in the round after that. I really need to work on my focus when things don't go well...

Ordered two Bob Vokey Titleist wedges, one 46 degree F Grind (basically a PW) and the other a 60 degree L grind lob wedge. All I can say is worth every penny! Incredible balance, beautiful feel...shot my best round of my life...75 and that was with two penalty strokes.

Time to order the 50 and the 54 degree now.