Jeter gets #3,000 on a HR

knightni

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 02:56 AM)
I bet you almost every athlete cheats on their wife, only reason Jeter hasn't is because he never got married as far as I know. Jeter is a good player but on any other team he would prob be a fringe HoF and a 2B but since his career was with the Yankees it gave him the chance to be what he is and props to him for it.

3000 hits is 3000 hits. The Yankees aren't putting him in their lineup as a charity case. Maybe you could say that keeping him at SS is done out of charity, rather than moving him elsewhere, but the guy can simply hit. BGO is going to the HOF for getting to 3000 hits.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Stocking @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 11:21 PM)

So the author is essentially glorifying being a greedy self-centered dick, because it is an athlete. And we wonder why our culture is f***ed. This kid should be being put on a pedistool and praised for the values he has.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 01:56 AM)
Jeter is a good player but on any other team he would prob be a fringe HoF and a 2B but since his career was with the Yankees it gave him the chance to be what he is and props to him for it.

Now I think Jeter is as overrated as anybody, but that is a bit harsh.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 02:52 AM)
So the author is essentially glorifying being a greedy self-centered dick, because it is an athlete. And we wonder why our culture is f***ed. This kid should be being put on a pedistool and praised for the values he has.

He indubitably did the honorable in unassumingly presenting Jeter with the ball

hmmm, you did not read it. No where in the blog does the author glorify being a self-centered dick. Unless of course you mean he argues Jeter being one, then i suppose you could draw that. The author praises the kid and his values, he was asking why Jeter didnt recriprocate by not excepting the ball as a gift.

The fan who returned Derek Jeter's ball from his 3,000th hit will get a bit of memorabilia to keep – his own baseball card.

Topps says it will produce a trading card featuring Christian Lopez that will be included in sets later this year.

"We thought what he did captures the essence of what baseball and the Topps company is about," said Mark Sapir, Topps vice president for sports.

The recent college graduate with outstanding student loans will get some financial help, too.

Memorabilia dealer Brandon Steiner and sporting goods CEO Mitch Modell said they will make sure Lopez gets at least $50,000 toward his outstanding student loans of $150,000.

Link

This guy is arguably getting more by just giving the ball back to Jeter than he would have if he'd have kept it and sold it. Suddenly companies are lining up to give him stuff and help pay off his debt and tons of TV and radio shows want to talk to him.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 10:58 AM)
This guy is arguably getting more by just giving the ball back to Jeter than he would have if he'd have kept it and sold it. Suddenly companies are lining up to give him stuff and help pay off his debt and tons of TV and radio shows want to talk to him.

The IRS also wants $13,000 for the tickets the Yankees gave him.

Damn the IRS! He definitely made a smart move, which also turned out to be the right move.

Glad to hear it too.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 12:02 PM)
The IRS also wants $13,000 for the tickets the Yankees gave him.

Damn the IRS! He definitely made a smart move, which also turned out to be the right move.

Paid by Miller Brewing Company

You are assuming those people wouldn't want to talk to him if he took other actions.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 10, 2011 -> 02:06 PM)
It's not necessarily his fault people hate him. One peek at ESPN this week and you'll see why people dislike Derek Jeter. Maybe not as a person, but they just hate the idea of him.

He's one of the most overrated players in the history of the game or at least of this era. Once again, not his fault, just the media's and the people who think of him as a god.

This is kinda true, but that isn't really Jeter's fault. When Jeter was interviewed about that amazing play in the Oakland series, which left my jaw dropping...Jeter basically said, "I was just doing what I was supposed to do."

That said, the guy plays the game the right way, getting 3000 hits and winning multiple rings in the process. When he walks across the chalk he respects the game and has become a HOF player and champion through instincts and hard work. Sure, we can pick at him and his range and all that, but I wouldn't have balked ONE SECOND with Derek Jeter handling SS duties for our Sox the last 15 years.

Over-rated? Not sure, but I personally believe he is a true great.

QUOTE (MAX @ Jul 17, 2011 -> 03:24 AM)
You are assuming those people wouldn't want to talk to him if he took other actions.

I realize that.

I was just thinking about the fans that decided to keep other famous baseballs to sell them later. I don't remember them getting as much publicity.

This guy seems to be getting so much because he did the "right" thing.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 10:12 AM)
I realize that.

I was just thinking about the fans that decided to keep other famous baseballs to sell them later. I don't remember them getting as much publicity.

This guy seems to be getting so much because he did the "right" thing.

Agree 100%. This is a great story, and lots of companies are trying to become a part of it. You didn't see that instances such as Barry Bonds or Mark McGwires record breakers. There was some publicity because of the nature of the stories, but nothing like the outpouring of groups trying to be involved in this in addition to the person with the ball and the player.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 10, 2011 -> 11:06 AM)
It's not necessarily his fault people hate him. One peek at ESPN this week and you'll see why people dislike Derek Jeter. Maybe not as a person, but they just hate the idea of him.

He's one of the most overrated players in the history of the game or at least of this era. Once again, not his fault, just the media's and the people who think of him as a god.

I'd say many people vastly underrate Derek Jeter and the type of player he is/was.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 06:13 PM)
I'd say many people vastly underrate Derek Jeter and the type of player he is/was.

Jeter's offense doesn't get nearly enough credit. The whole "overrated" defensively thing stems pretty exclusively from the idiots voting for Gold Gloves. You don't really hear other people talking about him being a great defender anymore. The guy is a slam dunk first ballot HOFer, and deserves to be so.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 09:29 AM)
Jeter's offense doesn't get nearly enough credit. The whole "overrated" defensively thing stems pretty exclusively from the idiots voting for Gold Gloves. You don't really hear other people talking about him being a great defender anymore. The guy is a slam dunk first ballot HOFer, and deserves to be so.

One of the reasons his offense doesn't get as much credit is that his offense at SS is historically great, but weak compared with the era he was in. A mid .800 OPS out of the SS position would be looked at as great right now. A mid .800 OPS out of the SS position when guys like Tejada were roiding it up there was good but not great. The year he put up a .989 OPS at SS he only wound up 6th in the MVP voting.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 08:50 AM)
One of the reasons his offense doesn't get as much credit is that his offense at SS is historically great, but weak compared with the era he was in. A mid .800 OPS out of the SS position would be looked at as great right now. A mid .800 OPS out of the SS position when guys like Tejada were roiding it up there was good but not great. The year he put up a .989 OPS at SS he only wound up 6th in the MVP voting.

I don't care about Jeter's OPS. The guy knows how to hit. He has always been one of the most dangerous guys when it matters, even in an era where most were cheating their asses off.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 06:53 AM)
I don't care about Jeter's OPS. The guy knows how to hit. He has always been one of the most dangerous guys when it matters, even in an era where most were cheating their asses off.

He also knows how to win and play the game, something most of our White Sox know very little about. :sad

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 05:13 PM)

Completely agree. While the media has glorified him a bit too much, I think a lot of people on this site(or internet message boards in general) have underrated the type of player that he really was.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 10:24 AM)
Completely agree. While the media has glorified him a bit too much, I think a lot of people on this site(or internet message boards in general) have underrated the type of player that he really was.

I think Jeter's ESPNization as a national product really lead to a backlash from people who hate the Yankees, which is pretty much everyone outside of NYC and transplanted NYers.