Jerry must be so proud

fathom

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 11:01 AM)
Hey, you gotta take the good with the bad when you make that choice. And I'll never believe for a second that people are born gay. GMAB. Mankind would end if everybody were gay. I believe it's a combination of environment, influences, lack of a strong male figure, boredom, curiosity (this is almost always the case with women), etc.

I gotta disagree here J4L, some people are just wired differently. Im sure their is a nature/nurture combination that influences most when it comes to sexuality. Just look at psychopaths, they are wired completely different but they are still human. Fortunately not everyone is the same, and we're not all raging murderers. Gays are just a small minority and won't really have an impact on the world population.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, you gotta take the good with the bad when make that choice.

ie you've got to deal with bigoted assholes if you want to be yourself!

And I'll never believe for a second that people are born gay. GMAB.

Why?

Mankind would end if everybody were gay.

Uh, wtf?

I believe it's a combination of environment, influences, lack of a strong male figure, boredom, curiosity (this is almost always the case with women), etc.

My two brothers and I couldn't be more different, yet we all grew up in the same household and my dad was always around. Many people show signs of sexual and gender orientation at a young age, well before conscience choices on sexuality would be made.

Your ideas of gays seem to be seriously misinformed caricatures.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 11:02 AM)
So I'd be more tolerant if I were white?

The black community statistically opposes gay rights etc. at higher rates, see Prop 8 in California.

It would be cultural, not genetic, though. There's plenty of white homophobes.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 11:08 AM)
lol. This is why I stay out of here.

Good, I'll stop seeing your sigs so much so I can stop daydreaming what it would be like to have such talented young players.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)
You're telling people they have terrible views. You refuse to acknowledge that other people have differing opinions than you that may or may not be valid. This guy might be off his rocker, but his opinion about gay people or his own thoughts of his own son being gay are just as valid or relevant as your clearly opposite views. We're talking about opinions, not something that can be proven through logical discourse. I'm not saying you can't give him s*** for it, but when you through out "you're being a bigot" you're doing the EXACT same thing - you're being completely intolerant of his opinion simply because you don't agree with him.

I hate this "you're bigoted against bigots!!!" solipsism. No, it's not being a bigot to call out a bigot. Not all opinions are valid or equal. His views that children should lie about who they are or not turn to their parents in times of need because it might shame them are terrible.

Would we apply the same "everyone's got opinions, you can't call him a bigot!" standard to someone who came in from Stormfront?

And I don't know how to easily search the soxtalk forums, but i'm pretty certain you've called me a bigot for trying to make a point that Y2HH just made a page or two ago that homosexuality is "abnormal" in the sense that it occurs in 5% (or whatever the percent is) of the time. You took that as me making some moral stance on the issue, which I wasn't.

I can't apologize since I don't know what you're specifically referring to (and searching via google is a pita), but I wouldn't call you that based on what you've posted itt.

Hey, you gotta take the good with the bad when you make that choice. And I'll never believe for a second that people are born gay. GMAB. Mankind would end if everybody were gay. I believe it's a combination of environment, influences, lack of a strong male figure, boredom, curiosity (this is almost always the case with women), etc.

I have all sorts of issues with this post, but to each his own. However, I think the curiousity "reason" why some women are gay is more myth than anything. I firmly believe that if someone is born gay, that's the way they are. It's not a choice.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 11:14 AM)
I hate this "you're bigoted against bigots!!!" solipsism. No, it's not being a bigot to call out a bigot. Not all opinions are valid or equal. His views that children should lie about who they are or not turn to their parents in times of need because it might shame them are terrible.

Would we apply the same "everyone's got opinions, you can't call him a bigot!" standard to someone who came in from Stormfront?

I can't apologize since I don't know what you're specifically referring to (and searching via google is a pita), but I wouldn't call you that based on what you've posted itt.

Well, we won't agree on this so i'm not gonna spend the day going round and round. Somewhere there's a line of bigotry that IMO was not crossed. Having a "terrible" opinion isn't enough.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 11:21 AM)
I have all sorts of issues with this post, but to each his own. However, I think the curiousity "reason" why some women are gay is more myth than anything. I firmly believe that if someone is born gay, that's the way they are. It's not a choice.

Girls "experiment" in college to get attention from guys, though you probably have to be legitimately bi-sexual to do anything more than kissing.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 11:22 AM)
Well, we won't agree on this so i'm not gonna spend the day going round and round. Somewhere there's a line of bigotry that IMO was not crossed. Having a "terrible" opinion isn't enough.

Then define bigotry. Seems like the extreme views towards gays in here were textbook examples.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 11:22 AM)

He thinks gay people should stay in the closet and he'd be sad for the rest of his life if his kid was gay. On what f***ing planet is that not bigoted?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 11:23 AM)
Girls "experiment" in college to get attention from guys, though you probably have to be legitimately bi-sexual to do anything more than kissing.

Oh, I agree. And it certainly gets our attention. But I was alluding to what you said...a girl would more than likely be bi-sexual at a minimum to go beyond kissing.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 11:23 AM)
Then define bigotry. Seems like the extreme views towards gays in here were textbook examples.

Being completely intolerant towards a specific group of people, be it political, ethnic, or other. IMO him giving his opinion that he wouldn't want a gay son doesn't go to that degree. He's not saying all homosexuals should be round up and shot. He's not saying we should discriminate against them (in fact didn't he acknowledge the problem with discrimination?) I just don't think it hit that line.

And I should make it clear that I don't agree with his opinions (in this thread and others). But as I've said in other threads, I feel like the dude is the only guy bringing the extreme conservative opinions to the board and he's instantly rejected and called an idiot and a bigot. That's f***ed up. I've heard a lot of stupid opinions on the other extreme that don't get the same reaction.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)
Being completely intolerant towards a specific group of people, be it political, ethnic, or other. IMO him giving his opinion that he wouldn't want a gay son doesn't go to that degree. He's not saying all homosexuals should be round up and shot. He's not saying we should discriminate against them (in fact didn't he acknowledge the problem with discrimination?) I just don't think it hit that line.

And I should make it clear that I don't agree with his opinions (in this thread and others). But as I've said in other threads, I feel like the dude is the only guy bringing the extreme conservative opinions to the board and he's instantly rejected and called an idiot and a bigot. That's f***ed up. I've heard a lot of stupid opinions on the other extreme that don't get the same reaction.

What the heck is with this line you guys keep throwing out there? It's only bigotry if you want to be round up and shot? SMH

Bingo.

Oh, right, advocating that they stay the f*** in the closet and pretend they're someone they're not to make others happy or not shame their parents is discrimination. It couldn't possibly lead to enormous social and personal emotional issues for gays.

He views homosexuality as shameful. There's no way around that. There's no way around that being discriminatory. You don't need to be Fred Phelps to be homophobic.

eta FlySox what's your view on DADT?

Edited by StrangeSox

And I should make it clear that I don't agree with his opinions (in this thread and others). But as I've said in other threads, I feel like the dude is the only guy bringing the extreme conservative opinions to the board and he's instantly rejected and called an idiot and a bigot. That's f***ed up.

He came in guns blazing with some downright insulting posts to many frequent posters here. What other reaction would you expect?

This actually makes your posts make a ton more sense now.

I don't agree that it's a choice though.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 11:33 AM)
Oh, right, advocating that they stay the f*** in the closet and pretend they're someone they're not to make others happy or not shame their parents is discrimination. It couldn't possibly lead to enormous social and personal emotional issues for gays.

He views homosexuality as shameful. There's no way around that. There's no way around that being discriminatory. You don't need to be Fred Phelps to be homophobic.

So whenever you think something is wrong you're automatically discriminating? Really? It's that black and white?