Castro hit on hand, leaves game with broken hand

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 01:38 PM)
What sucks is if he doesn't do well, we won't really know if it is playing time, or his sucking.

Well...if there's a taker, moving AJ Pierzynski and trying Flowers out as near-everyday playing wouldn't be the worst move. Save $6 mil + next year.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 12:39 PM)
Well...if there's a taker, moving AJ Pierzynski and trying Flowers out as near-everyday playing wouldn't be the worst move. Save $6 mil + next year.

No one wanted him last year, and I am guessing with the balloon to six million next year, no one will really want him next year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 01:41 PM)
No one wanted him last year, and I am guessing with the balloon to six million next year, no one will really want him next year.

He's hitting a whole lot better than he was at this point last year. .285 average/.704 OPS versus .235 average/.630 OPS.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 12:43 PM)
He's hitting a whole lot better than he was at this point last year. .285 average/.704 OPS versus .235 average/.630 OPS.

And just got ranked as the second to worst catcher in terms of defense in all of baseball, plus has a notorious reputation as an asshole. I'm guessing most teams in a pennant race aren't going to be interested, especially when the one team that could has already been down that road with disastrous results.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 01:45 PM)
And just got ranked as the second to worst catcher in terms of defense in all of baseball, plus has a notorious reputation as an asshole. I'm guessing most teams in a pennant race aren't going to be interested, especially when the one team that could has already been down that road with disastrous results.

The question is...does any team with a shot at a pennant need a catcher this year?

I think the bigger problem with trading him is that, unlike last year, I'm not sure there is an obvious one, other than, as you note, the Giants, and they don't want AJ or a 2 year catcher.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 12:58 PM)
The question is...does any team with a shot at a pennant need a catcher this year?

I think the bigger problem with trading him is that, unlike last year, I'm not sure there is an obvious one, other than, as you note, the Giants, and they don't want AJ or a 2 year catcher.

The Yankees could use one, but then again, they aren't about to block their guys either.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 02:04 PM)
The Yankees could use one, but then again, they aren't about to block their guys either.

If they don't have a backup next year, they might well be happy moving a guy in alongside AJ. Or at least someone might be able to convince them it'll be all right until they try it out.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 01:14 PM)
If they don't have a backup next year, they might well be happy moving a guy in alongside AJ. Or at least someone might be able to convince them it'll be all right until they try it out.

Martin or Cervelli are fine as back ups. Just not starters.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 10:21 AM)
I am expecting spot starts here and there, just like Castro. With the dog days of summer coming up, you cant expect AJ to go out there every day for weeks on end.

Yeah, yeah, so I was in a bumping thread move.

Tyler Flowers has 9 plate appearances since being called up. Castro was good for at least 1, if not 2 starts a week while healthy. AJ has had 2 starts off since Castro got hurt (other than the AS break). He had July 19th and July 31st off. AJ also played as a sub in both of those games. AJ Pierzynski has played in every game since Castro got hurt for the Sox.

AJ since the AS break is hitting .206, .657 OPS.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 7, 2011 -> 01:38 PM)
Yeah, yeah, so I was in a bumping thread move.

Tyler Flowers has 9 plate appearances since being called up. Castro was good for at least 1, if not 2 starts a week while healthy. AJ has had 2 starts off since Castro got hurt (other than the AS break). He had July 19th and July 31st off. AJ also played as a sub in both of those games. AJ Pierzynski has played in every game since Castro got hurt for the Sox.

AJ since the AS break is hitting .206, .657 OPS.

"I don' trust rookies. Dey don' know how to pay da focking game"

• 1 month later...

http://www.csnchicago.com/09/13/11/Ozzies-...tm_medium=email

Return of Ramon

After weeks of shuttling back and forth between his Florida home for doctor’s appointments and rehab, Ramon Castro has settled in for his last two weeks with the White Sox.

Castro is still regaining strength in his broken right finger, which is still bent—the catcher believes it will remain bent permanently—but is unlikely to play for the rest of the season.

Guillen was happy—it seems—to see his old pal back with the club.

“He’s not helping me—he comes to eat our food and our sunflower seeds. That’s all he does here,” the manager said. “It’s nice to see him alive. Ramon was having a good year for us. People don’t appreciate what they have until they lose it. We had Ramon keeping everybody loose in the dugout, no matter how tough the game was. Ramon was keeping everybody loose, joking around and trying to keep everybody in a good mood. We lost that.”

Castro realizes that with A.J. Pierzynski and apparently Tyler Flowers ahead of him on the depth chart, his return to Chicago—where he loves to play—is unlikely. But at a .763 OPS—40 points higher than Pierzynski—with a strong glove, arm and power, the 13-year vet will surely catch on somewhere.

“Whoever is willing to pay me, I’ll play for,” Castro laughed, trying to ignore both Alexei Ramirez and Dayan Viciedo laughing and teasing him over his bent index finger. “I love baseball.”