Jose Paniauga to be signed August 15th!!

BPSOX12

Over the past few days its been all over the radio that the sox will bring in Jose Paniauga on August 15th once his contract expires in the Pan Am Leagues. I believe he would replace Rick White in the bullpen. If you can remember this was the pitcher that killed us in the 2000 playoff series. Somehow im thinking this will be another genious KW move. What do you guys think?

Guest hotsoxchick1

:puke pantywaste??? geez us ask seattle how well he did there...........yuck.. this move sucks..........

Pitching   Glossary 

Year Ag Tm Lg W L G GS CG SHO SV IP H ER HR BB SO ERA *lgERA *ERA+

+--------------+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+------+----+----+---+----+----+-----+-----+----+

1996 22 MON NL 2 4 13 11 0 0 0 51.0 55 20 7 23 27 3.53 4.31 122

1997 23 MON NL 1 2 9 3 0 0 0 18.0 29 24 2 16 8 12.00 4.21 35

1998 24 SEA AL 2 0 18 0 0 0 1 22.0 15 5 3 5 16 2.05 4.66 228

1999 25 SEA AL 6 11 59 0 0 0 3 77.7 75 35 5 52 74 4.06 5.02 124

2000 26 SEA AL 3 0 69 0 0 0 5 80.3 68 31 6 38 71 3.47 4.58 132

2001 27 SEA AL 4 3 60 0 0 0 3 66.0 59 32 7 38 46 4.36 4.21 97

2002 28 DET AL 0 1 41 0 0 0 1 41.7 50 27 10 15 34 5.83 4.20 72

+--------------+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+------+----+----+---+----+----+-----+-----+----+

7 Yr WL% .462 18 21 269 14 0 0 13 356.7 351 174 40 187 276 4.39 4.51 103

162 Game Avg 4 5 64 3 0 0 3 85.7 84 41 9 44 66 4.39 4.51 103

Career High 6 11 69 11 0 0 5 80.3 75 35 10 52 74 3.47 5.02 132

Guest hotsoxchick1
He blows. He got released by Detroit, and could make Tampa Bay this spring. I hope this report is wrong.

wow you agree with me then????? thats cool............and a first i think....... :D

Guest hotsoxchick1
I actually agree with you most of the time, but this one is too obvious. I have no idea why anyone would get excited about this guy.

lol thats what i was tryin to figure out too... a brain child move??? hardly... more like a brainless move..........geez us.. we arent that desperate for arms are we...............

Your optimism is at an all time high for the year. What is the matter with you. You sound as though you are a Cub fan or something. You are a fan of a team that is 1 game out of first and hasn't reached its full potential yet. In the playoffs they will have as good a top 3 pitchers as anyone which gives then a chance. I know your hatred toward Colon but get over and pull for the guy. We need him to win.

Yeah, let's not pick up anybody that had over a 5.00 ERA last year. That would be stupid...... oh wait, didn't Loaiza have an ERA over 5.00 last year? Let's cut Esteban right now, realizing our mistake. He can't be good because he sucked last year.

I look at his numbers in Seattle and see a pretty respectable reliever. Obviously he struggled in Detroit, but I wouldn't complain about his Seattle numbers.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Your optimism is at an all time high for the year. What is the matter with you. You sound as though you are a Cub fan or something. You are a fan of a team that is 1 game out of first and In the playoffs they will have as good a top 3 pitchers as anyone which gives then a chance. I know your hatred toward Colon but get over and pull for the guy. We need him to win.

i assume you direct that twards me cause of the colon statement... well hmmm lets see.....

hasn't reached its full potential yet.
we should have been at that full potential with this lineup and pitching studs from the get go... im not impressed... its improving but no where even close to what it should be..........of course thats where the we look great on paper and suck out of the starting gate comes in..........when we hit our full potential (hopefully before the playoffs if were in them at all) then ill get excited........we are still one game back and its not an easy schedule espically when we cant even beat s*** teams like detroit and the devil rays..... ;)

as for pulling for colon i havent liked the guy from the get go so just becasue he wins a couple of games i should be part of the love fest for him now??? f*** that. all of yous were blasting on him not even a few weeks ago and now hes the greatest thing since sliced bread.... :rolleyes: .. i stand my ground .. i dont like him now, never have and never will......if you have a problem with that then too bad.. im not going to change my mind because you think i should be pulling for him.......my optimism faded with the dreams of taking something from 2000 when we could have had it all....since then its been teasing and s*** trades and moves one after another and nothing seems to be working........when there is a real honest to goodness chance of doing something then ill get excited about it but not till then..........too many years with this team of almosts, should haves, would haves, could haves...... ;)

HSC, thanks for posting his numbers. They don't look so bad to me in 2000 and 2001, and as I recall he was absolute murder on the Sox. Great curveball and he seemed to know what he was doing out there.

And in fact ... yeah, we ARE that desperate for arms in the bullpen. I don't know who else to suggest, since Aaron Miles can't pitch :lol:

Nonetheless, they really need another good, solid arm down there and they need a 5th starter. Wright doesn't have it this year, they should send him back down, let him pitch, bring him up 9/1 and let him get some regular throwing time in. Maybe he'll be back in form for '04.

And who would be the one making the signing, if in fact it happens? Rick Hahn? Eddie Einhorn? Duane Shaffer? Doug Laumann?

It can't be Williams, right????

Just curious ...

Taking something from 2000 when we could have had it all?

Had "what" all????

The last I checked, almost all of the starting staff of that team has had their pitching arm fall off ...

Understand. I know some were down on Colon but I loved the deal when it happened and I still do. Without him we aren't even close in the race. Wright is our 4th starter and who knows who would have been our 5th starter, Gil Heredia? Not saying you have to like him on a personal level or join any sort of live fest, just show some support for a very important cog in the Whitesox wheel.

If this guy were any good there would be teams lined up to sign him. And if teams were lined up to sign him, the Sox would have no chance to get him. Paniaqua is no better than Koch, probably much worse. Why do people like this guy, he's terrible, he was waived by Detroit and could not make Tampa this spring , 2 of the most horrible teams of all time. Have we not suffered enough?

Yeah, let's not pick up anybody that had over a 5.00 ERA last year.  That would be stupid......    oh wait, didn't Loaiza have an ERA over 5.00 last year?  Let's cut Esteban right now, realizing our mistake.  He can't be good because he sucked last year.

I look at his numbers in Seattle and see a pretty respectable reliever.  Obviously he struggled in Detroit, but I wouldn't complain about his Seattle numbers.

He was cut this spring by Tampa Bay, that should be enough right there. Just because he has decent numbers in the Pan Am games or whatever he's playing in now means jack. In the Mexican League this spring his ERA was over 6 . To compare this guy with Loiasa is crazy. Loiasa made this team with a non guaranteed contract with a great spring. If he had an average spring and Wright's elbow didn't bother him he might be out of baseball right now. To bring a guy in who has been brutal for a while, 10 homers allowed in 41 innings playing home games at Comerica Park, BEFORE the fences were moved in, in a tight division race where just about every game is important, is absolutely ridiculous. If he's so great why aren't teams lined up to get him ?

Guest hotsoxchick1
Just curious ...

Taking something from 2000 when we could have had it all?

Had "what" all????

The last I checked, almost all of the starting staff of that team has had their pitching arm fall off ...

ok maybe my memory is failing here but werent we the team with the 95 wins in 2000? and didnt we take the division in 2000??? i believe the arms started to fall off after that right??????

The guy is probably better than White, but is he better than Ginter? Not saying Ginter is great but lets face it this guy is not going to get us over the top. As far as 2000 is concerned, that was three years ago. Alot happens in three years. there must be someone better we can get over the waiver wire.The only saving grace is that nobody has seen him pitch in two years. That should buy us a couple of weeks.

If this guy were any good there would be teams lined up to sign him. And if teams were lined up to sign him, the Sox would have no chance to get him.

You could say exactly the same thing about Loaiza before the season began. Teams were certainly not lining up to get E-Lo. Sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle. The guy has had some success in the past. Is it set in stone he will report directly to the Sox? Might he be a AAA sign to see if he has enough left?

You could say exactly the same thing about Loaiza before the season began.  Teams were certainly not lining up to get E-Lo.  Sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle.  The guy has had some success in the past.  Is it set in stone he will report directly to the Sox?  Might he be a AAA sign to see if he has enough left?

Sign him and send him to Charlotte so he'll get lit up there. The Sox bullpen needs help now, and he's not a guy who can help. By the way, he gave up 13 runs in 17 innings in the Mexican League this year. So he was brutal this spring, brutal in Mexico, but is doing alright in the Pan Am games. Doesn't sound like a savior to me.

Guest hotsoxchick1

You could say exactly the same thing about Loaiza before the season began.  Teams were certainly not lining up to get E-Lo.  Sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle.  The guy has had some success in the past.  Is it set in stone he will report directly to the Sox?  Might he be a AAA sign to see if he has enough left?

Sign him and send him to Charlotte so he'll get lit up there. The Sox bullpen needs help now, and he's not a guy who can help. By the way, he gave up 13 runs in 17 innings in the Mexican League this year. So he was brutal this spring, brutal in Mexico, but is doing alright in the Pan Am games. Doesn't sound like a savior to me.

thankyou......another cheap ass move to accomplish absoutley nothing.......

Its time for the cheapness and experimenting to end. It is now known if the Sox win the fans will come out. There has been more people in the park the last couple of weeks than has been reported due to comps. Its time to get a legitimate relief pitcher and/or 5th starter for the stretch run. No crazy experiments with pitchers who are done.If the Sox are willing to pick up a contract or 2 from now to the end of the season, they certainly can pick up someone who can do the job. If the rely on picking up Paniagua expected him to do the job, the end result will be dissapointing.