Poll: Viciedo, De Aza, Milledge and Danks

WHITESOXRANDY

Viciedo, De Aza, Milledge and Danks  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Would the Sox be better off with these 4 guys replacing Dunn, Rios, Pierre and Quentin right now?

• Not as good
    • about the same
    • even better

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

De Aza and Milledge, neither of who blow me away, are both sporting OPS numbers over 200 points higher than Pierre. And you'd have to think they (both having played CF in the past) are likely better than PePe in the field.

As far as Viciedo...I can't see how he could be worse than Dunn, although you have to figure Dunn won't finish the year with a .160 average and 15 homers. It's just not logical to expect that to happen given his track record. He may be beyond his prime, but he didn't fall off the planet that damn quick.

Rios for all I care could be DFA'd...the guy is a bum. I can live with Dunn's .160 average because at least the guy is trying, but Rios plays like he doesn't care half the time. Players like that don't need to be wearing a uniform representing Chicago.

Quentin should not be replaced at this time no.

Edited by kwolf68

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 09:18 AM)
De Aza and Milledge, neither of who blow me away, are both sporting OPS numbers over 200 points higher than Pierre. And you'd have to think they (both having played CF in the past) are likely better than PePe in the field.

Lastings Milledge is not obviously better than Juan Pierre in the OF. Given how bad Pierre has been in the OF this year, that's saying something. The fact that he's played CF in the past is meaningless, so has Juan Pierre, that doesn't mean he belongs there on a regular basis.

De Aza is intriguing me though. He's putting up great numbers at AAA and the splits show it is not because of Charlotte's park. He also isn't just some older player who came out of nowhere, Florida had him pegged as their opening day starter and a future of their OF a few years back before a really bad injury. I'd love to give him a legit shot here, especially over someone like Pierre. And De Aza could play CF as well

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 09:30 AM)
De Aza is intriguing me though. He's putting up great numbers at AAA and the splits show it is not because of Charlotte's park. He also isn't just some older player who came out of nowhere, Florida had him pegged as their opening day starter and a future of their OF a few years back before a really bad injury. I'd love to give him a legit shot here, especially over someone like Pierre. And De Aza could play CF as well

I think "Intriguing" is the right word there, I just can't see how he's going to get playing time in this org.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 09:27 AM)
Lastings Milledge is not obviously better than Juan Pierre in the OF. Given how bad Pierre has been in the OF this year, that's saying something. The fact that he's played CF in the past is meaningless, so has Juan Pierre, that doesn't mean he belongs there on a regular basis.

I said "likely", not "obviously" better in the field. I love it when someone responds to a post and changes words and thus meaning of that which they respond to.

The point of comparing the two however I think should be considered from the standpoint that Pierre could be moved. The question is...if we move Pierre, is there a replacement in house that won't be a severe downgrade. I think either De Aza or Milledge would at least not be a severe downgrade unless you seriously think those guys can't throw the ball 10 yards and will have OPS numbers in the 400s...

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 09:35 AM)
I said "likely", not "obviously" better in the field. I love it when someone responds to a post and changes words and thus meaning of that which they respond to.

The point of comparing the two however I think should be considered from the standpoint that Pierre could be moved. The question is...if we move Pierre, is there a replacement in house that won't be a severe downgrade. I think either De Aza or Milledge would at least not be a severe downgrade unless you seriously think those guys can't throw the ball 10 yards and will have OPS numbers in the 400s...

Lastings Milledge is not "Likely" a better defensive player than Juan Pierre either.

I could totally see either of them coming up and putting up Riosian numbers. I could also see them bettering them.

We're close enough to the deadline now that if someone will give us anything of Value for Juan Pierre, we'd be foolish not to take it. That also includes money.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 08:30 AM)

I believe Rick Hahn loves him as well.

Viciedo definitely deserves to be called up in light of his excellence at AAA and Dunn/Rios' struggles up here. But the other three, no way. And why is Quentin on this list at all? His average is mediocre but he hits for power and drives in runs. What is the problem with that?

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 10:01 AM)
Viciedo definitely deserves to be called up in light of his excellence at AAA and Dunn/Rios' struggles up here. But the other three, no way. And why is Quentin on this list at all? His average is mediocre but he hits for power and drives in runs. What is the problem with that?

He's a current OF on the team, he's getting more expensive, he's 1.5 years away from being a free agent, he's streaky enough that his down streaks hurt the team as much as his up streaks carry the team.

He's also the entire reason why the minor leaguers are losing this poll. If it was just the other guys, the minor leaguers would be winning easily.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 09:31 AM)
How'd Quentin get brought into this? The f*** might be inconsistent, but he's an All-Star.

Come on. Like that means anything anymore.

Also, Derek Jeter won a gold glove last year!

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 09:32 AM)
Come on. Like that means anything anymore.

Also, Derek Jeter won a gold glove last year!

Ok, he has an inconsistent .850 OPS, which is easily way better than any of those minor leaguers can be expected to produce in the bigs anytime soon.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 10:34 AM)
Ok, he has an inconsistent .850 OPS, which is easily way better than any of those minor leaguers can be expected to produce in the bigs anytime soon.

Um...one of the 3 minor leaguers in the list put up an .840 OPS last year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 09:38 AM)

in 100 ABs and helped by a meaningless last half of september when nobody cares

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 11:00 AM)
in 100 ABs and helped by a meaningless last half of september when nobody cares

At age 21.

Seriously...no one's going to guarantee Viciedo will put up solid #'s...but saying it's ludicrous to think that he could come up and immediately put up an .850+ OPS is something that will draw out the criticism.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 09:38 AM)

Come on now, man. You can't expect that over a full season from someone as raw as Viciedo, regardless of how well he's raking in AAA. You have backup QB syndrome.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 11:28 AM)
Come on now, man. You can't expect that over a full season from someone as raw as Viciedo, regardless of how well he's raking in AAA. You have backup QB syndrome.

You could have said the exact same thing about Carlos Quentin any of the last 4 seasons, except for 3 of them you'd have to replace the word raw with the words inconsistent/injury prone.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 10:29 AM)
You could have said the exact same thing about Carlos Quentin any of the last 4 seasons, except for 3 of them you'd have to replace the word raw with the words inconsistent/injury prone.

Viciedo hasn't had anything close to 2008 for TCQ.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)
I'd take Viciedo over anyone else in our outfield besides Quentin.

I'm not sure I wouldn't take him over Quentin if I had to choose. Their performance ceilings are probably similar...the odds of them hitting those ceilings are difficult to figure but overall I'd say they're similar too...one has injury issues, the other is still young.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 11:32 AM)
Viciedo hasn't had anything close to 2008 for TCQ.

Neither had Carlos Quentin coming in to 2008.

Viciedo also hasn't struggled through 2 seasons due to injuries or had major surgeries on the way up, as far as I know.