Sox fielding calls for Edwin Jackson

Baron

Nice, someone posted bleacher report opinion. I hate that site.

As for Rasmus... he'd fit right in with the other disappointments on our roster. Obviously I'd still love to get him in a deal for Jackson +, but we all know that's not happening, so it's a moot point.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 04:18 PM)
That would be the assumption. You don't dump him for nothing. The idea is to rebuild your system.

I don't know if this is going to make sense but I'm going to say it anyway.

If I were an opposing GM in a pennant race, I wouldn't give up as much to get John Danks as the White Sox's should be asking for him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 03:25 PM)
I don't know if this is going to make sense but I'm going to say it anyway.

If I were an opposing GM in a pennant race, I wouldn't give up as much to get John Danks as the White Sox's should be asking for him.

It depends on who you are. Say you are someone like Pittsburgh who is doing this for the first time since Barry Bonds was clean and skinny, you might be paying more than someone who expects to be here every year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 04:36 PM)
It depends on who you are. Say you are someone like Pittsburgh who is doing this for the first time since Barry Bonds was clean and skinny, you might be paying more than someone who expects to be here every year.

If Pittsburgh's GM paid a price in prospects for John Danks he should be fired on the spot.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 03:49 PM)
Milwaukee did it a couple of years back for Sabathia. Its not a crazy idea.

Obviously Sabathia is a different type of pitcher. He is the type that can really care you not only into the playoffs, but through the playoffs.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 04:49 PM)
Milwaukee did it a couple of years back for Sabathia. Its not a crazy idea.

Brewers opening day payroll the year they traded for captain cheeseburger: $81 million.

Pittsburgh's opening day payroll this year: $45 million.

Even if they now have a little bit extra in the budget...they NEED to go with the long term plan. Deviating from it would be suicidal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 03:56 PM)
Brewers opening day payroll the year they traded for captain cheeseburger: $81 million.

Even if they now have a little bit extra in the budget...they NEED to go with the long term plan. Deviating from it would be suicidal.

Agreed. They need to go out and get someone like Carlos Pena - a clear upgrade one a reasonable expiring contract that costs next to nothing in talent.

E-Jax (and some cash) for Rasmus.

Rios for Lowe.

Quentin for Beachy.

Danks, Jordan Danks, Floyd to Pirates for prospects (preferably a 3B who can hit, to at least push Morel, a LHP, and a catcher. Or something of value). Throw in Flowers if that might get you a catching prospect.

Resign Buehrle.

Next year's rotation:

SP - Buehrle

SP - Humber

SP - Sale

SP - Beachy

SP - Peavy/Santiago (when Peavy is on the DL)

Next year's OF:

LF - Rasmus

CF - De Aza

RF - Viciedo

/insane "creative" pipe dream

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 04:17 PM)

Rios for Lowe.

Quentin for Beachy.

Danks, Jordan Danks, Floyd to Pirates for prospects (preferably a 3B who can hit, to at least push Morel, a LHP, and a catcher. Or something of value). Throw in Flowers if that might get you a catching prospect.

Resign Buehrle.

The Pirates are gonna sell the farm because they have a winning record for the first time since the 1800's?

Rios for Lowe straight up is never happening. The Braves are not going to take on MORE salary for a s***tier player.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 04:17 PM)

Rios for Lowe.

Quentin for Beachy.

Resign Buehrle.

Next year's rotation:

SP - Buehrle

SP - Humber

SP - Sale

SP - Beachy

SP - Peavy/Santiago (when Peavy is on the DL)

Next year's OF:

LF - Rasmus

CF - De Aza

RF - Viciedo

No offense, but NONE of that is realistic, except 'resign Buerhle.' ATL would not want both Rios and CQ. ATL would not give up two members of its rotation in the midst of a playoff run. STL would NEVER give us Rasmus for only Jackson. Floyd/Danks/Danks is straight out of a video game, PIT would never take that kind of salary on, and if they did they'd have to dump the entire farm which would be a ridiculous move. And the staff we'd end up with up there is a total rebuild of a staff.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 02:58 PM)
Edwin Jackson is being described as possibly the best starting pitcher on the market. Stop and think about that for a second in terms of what that means Danks would be work on the open market.

It's both disappointing (from a wider scope for baseball) and highly arousing to me. If Jackson is that well regarded, we could make a killing.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 06:05 PM)
It's both disappointing (from a wider scope for baseball) and highly arousing to me. If Jackson is that well regarded, we could make a killing.

Re-read what he said.

No one said Jackson is that highly regarded.

He said Jackson is the best pitcher currently available on the market.

That's bashing the market more than anything else. There's no Cliff Lee this year.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 08:23 PM)
A possible future.

Puhlease. Jackson is mentioned in the article as possibly the best pitcher available. And quite possibly he is. That should be a bargaining chip. Jackson is not a bad pitcher at all. He is actually pretty good and has a lot of upside. Quentin is a player I would not trade at all unless overwhelmed with a great offer. Here is a guy just selected by his peers for the all-star team and some Sox fans on this site do nothing but bash the guy and/or call for him to be traded. You have me confused

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 06:27 PM)
Puhlease. Jackson is mentioned in the article as possibly the best pitcher available. And quite possibly he is. That should be a bargaining chip. Jackson is not a bad pitcher at all. He is actually pretty good and has a lot of upside. Quentin is a player I would not trade at all unless overwhelmed with a great offer. Here is a guy just selected by his peers for the all-star team and some Sox fans on this site do nothing but bash the guy and/or call for him to be traded. You have me confused

A few discussions of trading Quentin and that's all we do is bash him? My word, that's more than a bit excessive.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 06:29 PM)
And shouldn't be IMO. Hopefully we keep him. Pitching wins

At this point, I think it's almost abundantly clear that we won't be keeping John Danks past the end of the 2012 season and there's nothing that can be done to change that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 03:56 PM)

If they throw a way literally a once in a generation chance, they are completely f***ed with the fan base.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 05:48 PM)
If they throw a way literally a once in a generation chance, they are completely f***ed with the fan base.

The thing is, the fan base is almost gone anyways. What they need to do is not throw in all their chips for a chance to be a playoff team (or more likely just above .500), but to build towards a team that can win 3-5 divisions. That sustained success is what will really be the revenue maker for the organization.

Jackson would be really good in a pitcher's ballpark. Balta did a decent scouting report of him a few pages earlier. He's a two pitch pitcher who's dominant when on, but off when he can't locate one of them. He needs to develop something offspeed.

Even then, I'd shop him to every team known to man. To STL for Rasmus would work for me. Then Danks to NY for Montero and a middle IF. Quentin for Beachy. Pierre for anyone who takes him. Buehrle(as much as that would kind of suck) and Beckham to Boston for Rizzo and Iglesias(ok, maybe not realistic). Quentin for Beachy, and AJ to whatever team needs a catcher. That's right boys, time to blow it up for prospects. The kids can play. Hopefully they get a new teacher other than Ozzie though.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 05:09 PM)
Re-read what he said.

No one said Jackson is that highly regarded.

He said Jackson is the best pitcher currently available on the market.

That's bashing the market more than anything else. There's no Cliff Lee this year.

No, I got it. But if he's regarded as the best guy available, we should still be able to pull in something pretty good for him. And then even more if we make Danks available.