Peavy seeing a physical therapist.

southsider2k5

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news...ce=MLBHeadlines

CHICAGO -- White Sox pitcher Jake Peavy said he will return home to Alabama and see a physical therapist during the All-Star break.

It's the same trainer he worked with over the winter while rehabbing from surgery to repair a torn lat muscle. Peavy recently returned from the disabled list; he suffered a groin injury earlier this season.

Since Peavy joined the White Sox, he has yet to consistently display the talent that won him the Cy Young award in 2007 with the San Diego Padres. Beset by injuries since the Sox traded for him in July 2009, Peavy says his body just isn't allowing him to pitch to his capabilities.

Peavy is 4-3 with a 5.27 ERA in nine starts after a 6-3 loss to the Minnesota Twins on Sunday.

[+] EnlargeJake Peavy

Dennis Wierzbicki/US PresswireWhite Sox starter Jake Peavy couldn't get out of the fifth inning in Sunday's loss to the Twins.

"I thought physically I'd be able to bounce back better than I have and that's just the bottom line, no ifs, ands or buts about it," he said. "Physically, my body has not bounced back and it's not hard to see out there. I'm throwing 85 to 90 miles per hour with my fastball and my breaking balls just aren't as sharp, can't even strike anybody out with it."

Peavy got himself out of jams in the first and third innings, but he failed to come out unscathed in the fourth. After retiring the first two batters in the inning, Peavy walked the next two and both came around to score on Drew Butera's single and Jason Repko's double. Peavy gave up three more runs in the fifth and was pulled after retiring only one batter in the inning.

"He just missed location. He was behind in the count a lot," catcher A.J. Pierzynski said. "He made a couple mistakes. I thought he was going to get it going after he got (Joe) Mauer to hit into the double play and get out of that inning, first and third, no outs. They did a good job of coming back the next inning and putting two and then three up. It just was one of those days where it didn't work out."

Peavy was clearly bothered by his inability to get batters to swing and miss, but it was the free passes that he handed out that really got the Twins going.

"That's frustrating, getting myself in trouble," Peavy said. "It certainly wasn't the way I want to do things. But at the same (time), you gotta put guys away with two strikes. I look forward to the break, I need the break. I need to regroup physically and have better stuff than I've been running out there with. It's been a grind these last three since the Colorado start, physically just not have good stuff."

ESPNChicago.com White Sox blog

Baseball blog The latest news and notes on the White Sox. Blog

Peavy will get six days' rest before his next outing, unless pitching coach Don Cooper decides to deviate from the rotation he laid out prior to Sunday's game and give Peavy a little extra time off.

With 70 games remaining for the White Sox, manager Ozzie Guillen wants his team to be focused on the future, not the poor results of the past. Pierzynski agreed and couldn't draw many positives from the first 88 games of the season.

"It's over. That's about it," Pierzynski said. "It wasn't what we expected, it wasn't what we wanted to happen, but we're still alive and we're still alive with 70 or so games left. We have to come out and play better. I mean that's the bottom line. It's been frustrating, it's been disappointing, it's been up and down. But the bottom line is we still have a chance and we just have to play better."

Sahadev Sharma is a special contributor for ESPNChicago.com.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 12:15 AM)
Its no surprise. He's had a lot of long layoffs the past three seasons. His body isn't used to the grind.

Is the physical therapy to loosen up the groin muscle pull or to improve flexibility or do we know for sure?

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 07:25 PM)
He obviously just isn't laying everything on the line.

At this point, Peavy sounds like someone who you KNOW is a homophobe. Someone who is so insecure about himself that he has to project about toughness and whatever else. Just pitch man.

Um, Ok.

Are you sure that you aren't the one which is a "homophobe" - as you say?

:lolhitting

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 10:25 PM)

At this point, Peavy sounds like someone who you KNOW is a homophobe. Someone who is so insecure about himself that he has to project about toughness and whatever else. Just pitch man.

What?

:huh:

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 09:25 PM)

You're in the wrong thread.

This is no news. Everyone knew Peavy was going to have fatigue issues. He has barely pitched in a couple years. The best sign to me is nothing unexpected has really came up (outside of his groin pull). I'm more optimistic about Jake than most. But I hate the way the Sox are treating him. You got to get him some extra rest, especially after using him in relief. He can't be treated like a typical pitcher at this point.

Report: Peavy's next start pushed back

According to the Chicago Tribune, White Sox starter Jake Peavy will likely make his first start after the All-Star Break on Tuesday instead of Sunday, when it was originally scheduled.

After allowing five runs in 4 1/3 innings July 10, Peavy told reporters he "just simply didn’t have the stuff to put them away, and that’s been the case for the last three starts.”

Peavy has struggled since pitching four stellar innings in relief against the Washington Nationals. In his three starts since the relief appearance, Peavy has thrown 16 1/3 innings, allowing 14 runs (all earned) on 23 hits, six walks, 10 strikeouts and one home run allowed. His ERA has gone up over a run in that time, jumping from 4.23 on June 25 to 5.27 July 10.

After his July 10 start, Peavy all but predicted Wednesday evening's news, noting he thinks he would get 7-10 days off by being pushed back in the rotation. If he starts Tuesday, he'll get nine days off between starts.

I assume the reaction to this will be half people angry about him still being unable to pitch, the same half also saying that they were right about the Sox having overworked him, and then the remainder of the board trying and failing to point out the contradiction?

This is probably smart regardless. Extra rest for him at any point this season is not a bad thing. Just hope his arm "recovers" or whatever it is bothering him now. The unfortunate reality is that he needs to be treated differently until he proves otherwise, which he has not been able to do yet.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 02:25 PM)
I assume the reaction to this will be half people angry about him still being unable to pitch, the same half also saying that they were right about the Sox having overworked him, and then the remainder of the board trying and failing to point out the contradiction?

It's a smart move. I don't fault Peavy at all for what's happened the last month, and you can tell he basically admitted last week that they need to slow it down with him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 08:25 AM)

I'm pretty sure the reaction will be to not give a f*** anymore. Team sucks, he's always hurt. Whatever.

The obvious problem is that we have to care because of all the money still wrapped up in him for 2012.

If they fall out of the race, they definitely need to pick their spots with him...and get Sale extended innings as quickly as possible in August/September.

Still think that Peavy can have a great 2012 season. Yeah, I know....3 years late, but better late than never.

I'd also be curious to see how much money we've ACTUALLY had to pay him from the time he was acquired through today. That would also have to figure into the equation.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 11:06 AM)
I'm pretty sure the reaction will be to not give a f*** anymore. Team sucks, he's always hurt. Whatever.

I will say that I am impressed with how short this thread is. Usually this would have been hundreds of post long in no time.

Anything the Sox get from Peavey is gravy. Assume he can't pitch and if we get a few good innings from him great. I said a long time ago ( and was scorned on this site for it ) but still believe he is better suited to bullpen status.

I don't know that we got Peavy to be a setup guy...right now he does not have the stuff to be a top-end rotation starter or closer. For the money we're paying him he needs to be an ace pitcher.

He used to be dominant...over 9ks per nine with low era...his two highest eras are the last two years with the White Sox and he is now featuring a 90 mph fastball and is K per nine is way down now.

He may can get it back, but we're going to have to start thinking of the possibility that the guy is beyond his shelf life as a front line ace and is now a back of the rotation type guy. The Peavy, Swisher and Jackson trades have provided very little to this organization (and the deals are likely net negative considering what we traded off). But Kenny needed to add to his baseball card collection.

Edited by kwolf68