Francisco Rodriguez traded to Brewers

SoxFan1

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 06:35 PM)
According to Rosenthal the Brewers are getting about $6M from the Mets, not the previously reported $5M. The Mets are responsible for the $3.5M buyout and about half of his remaining $5M salary for this season. Hell of a pickup if he sticks in the setup role and isn't a distraction.

Even though the Brewers system is weak, for that kind of money there has to be something of value on the PTBNL list. If there's nothing there and all he costs is $2 million then I'd wish the Sox would have grabbed him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 05:36 PM)
Even though the Brewers system is weak, for that kind of money there has to be something of value on the PTBNL list. If there's nothing there and all he costs is $2 million then I'd wish the Sox would have grabbed him.

All reports point to the prospects not being anything special, the Mets just wanted him off the roster to eliminate any possibility of that option vesting, pay $6M now to save perhaps $16.5M in the future. He's only 20 GF's away from that option vesting and they were getting nervous.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 05:36 PM)

This might be hard to believe. More like shocking. But the Brewers' system is worse than ours. And because it's too early to trade 2011 draft picks, there's nobody in their system of consequence that they could lose and it mean anything.

K-Rod waived the vesting option in exchange for additional compensation, this according to Rosenthal. So they can now use him as a closer without apprehension, I'm curious to see how much he gets out of this. It's a nice move for both sides, avoids any possible unpleasantness and is a big positive for the club as a whole.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 04:16 PM)
K-Rod waived the vesting option in exchange for additional compensation, this according to Rosenthal. So they can now use him as a closer without apprehension, I'm curious to see how much he gets out of this. It's a nice move for both sides, avoids any possible unpleasantness and is a big positive for the club as a whole.

His buyout is now $4M.

Smart move by him, because the Brewers were not going to let that vest.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 12:44 PM)

48 hours before they actually announced the decision was the last day before the ASB and I'm sure executives, like players, take a day or two off to relax. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they had the deal done and simply didn't want to complete the paperwork or something trivial like that.