Separate California into 2 States?

HuskyCaucasian

People in the state have talked about it several times before, and it's being talked about with California's financial problems:

California Secession Proposal Endorsed By Riverside County Officials

LOS ANGELES — Elected officials in Riverside County have endorsed a proposal to discuss cleaving California in two, but with a catch: No public funds can be spent on the budding secessionist movement.

Staffers for a Riverside County Supervisor Jeff Stone, who dreamed up the idea for the new state, said after Tuesday's vote by the Board of Supervisors that proponents will turn to private donors for funds to pursue the idea.

The motion by Stone, a Republican, calls for officials from 13 counties to come together to discuss the idea.

Even if leaders got serious about secession, the U.S. Constitution says no new state can be formed without the consent of Congress and the state Legislature.

Stone says California is too big to govern.

The proposed new state would encompass coastal Orange and San Diego counties, and inland Fresno, Imperial, Inyo, Kern, Kings, Madera, Mariposa, Mono, Riverside, San Bernardino and Tulare counties.

The new states:

ca_county_secession.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Especially after the bubble bursting, that group of counties would have a legit shot at having the highest poverty rate in the country. The only thing that would give it a shot at not being there would be the fact that the rich Orange County Republicans got included.

Down to Santa Rosa and over the bay

Across the grapevine to LA

We got deserts we got trees

We got the hills of Beverly

Let's burn the hills of Beverly

Walk with your credit card in the air

Swinging nunchucks like you just don't care

This is a slow, sick suckin' part of me

This is a slow, sick suckin' part of me And when I'm sucking kisses, sour

Up to the top of Shasta gulch

To the bottom of the Tahoe Lake

Manmade deltas and concrete rivers

The south takes what the north delivers

You film hack, I don't use your pay

Lost in the foothills of Mount Pine

Drinking Euro, say goodnight

to the last psychedelic band/

from Sacto Northern Cal

South Sacto, Northern Cal

Taylor, neighbor

You're my neighbor

And I need favors

You're my neighbor

You don't need favors

Cause I'm your neighbor

(I'm not your neighbor

You crazy street (bakersfield) trash

will never happen due to politics.

Someone will figure out that the 51st state would be a republican or a democratic dominated state and wont want to give them the extra 2 seats in the Senate to that party.

The best chance someone has is adding 2 at a time. One democratic and one republican.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 09:29 AM)

Someone will figure out that the 51st state would be a republican or a democratic dominated state and wont want to give them the extra 2 seats in the Senate to that party.

The best chance someone has is adding 2 at a time. One democratic and one republican.

This is probably true.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 10:39 AM)
What's the hold up with Puerto Rico?

Obama Wants Puerto Rico to Decide Statehood or Independence (June 14, 2011)

The president has previously said Puerto Ricans should decide whether they want independence, statehood or to remain a U.S. commonwealth.

“I am firmly committed to the principle that the question of political status is a matter of self-determination for the people of Puerto Rico,” Obama wrote in March in a statement about a White House task force report on relations between the federal government and the island.

In remarks from an airport hangar, the president said the report provided a “meaningful way forward” on how to let residents determine their political future. He said investments in education, broadband access, boosting tourism, clean energy and health care that apply to the U.S. mainland also apply to the territory.

The task force proposed a two-stage referendum in which Puerto Ricans would first vote on whether to remain part of the U.S. or become independent. Depending on the outcome, a second vote would be held on whether to stay a commonwealth, seek statehood, or decide on a form on independent status.

The task force recommended that the president, Congress and the governor of Puerto Rico decide the issue “by the end of 2012 or soon thereafter.”

Obama planned a visit with Republican Governor Luis Fortuño and a campaign fundraiser in Puerto Rico before returning to Washington tonight.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 10:29 AM)

You didn't notice that this "State" was drawn in such a way as to include only the Republican portions of California? It's not a matter of figuring it out...that's the only reason this "plan" exists.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 11:57 AM)
You didn't notice that this "State" was drawn in such a way as to include only the Republican portions of California? It's not a matter of figuring it out...that's the only reason this "plan" exists.

They have been trying to carve California up since the 1840's. This isn't anything new. With the shape California is in, I can't hardly blame people for wanting "out".

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 01:06 PM)
They have been trying to carve California up since the 1840's. This isn't anything new. With the shape California is in, I can't hardly blame people for wanting "out".

Again...the only reason California is in this shape is the decisions made by the Voters to hamstring the state legislature. From both sides, too.

It might well be a good example of what happens when you need a supermajority to keep a government functioning. Thankfully we have no other institutions following that path in the near future.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 12:08 PM)
Again...the only reason California is in this shape is the decisions made by the Voters to hamstring the state legislature. From both sides, too.

It might well be a good example of what happens when you need a supermajority to keep a government functioning. Thankfully we have no other institutions following that path in the near future.

#1 being their elected officials.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 01:10 PM)
#1 being their elected officials.

Disagree, again. It's the initiatives and the structure of the government (the 2/3 majority requirement for passing a budget, the insane property tax system) that really kill them. The combination of mandating funding for programs then blocking any and all means to provide that funding is what does it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 12:13 PM)
Disagree, again. It's the initiatives and the structure of the government (the 2/3 majority requirement for passing a budget, the insane property tax system) that really kill them. The combination of mandating funding for programs then blocking any and all means to provide that funding is what does it.

Brilliant people. Then again, the Federal Government is working on the same combinations of mandates and spending. So much of that stuff need to be cut.