Game 4, 2005 World Series

Rowand44

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 11:47 AM)
Eh, the starting rotation was pretty damn good actually. Garcia was a very good pitcher up until that point and Contreras had clearly turned the proverbial corner. If he had not got injured in 06, he was proving to be just as dominant. The only pitcher that imo pitched in the rotation who was better than he probably should have been was Jon Garland.

I agree on Freddy. But before the season, I don't think anybody expected much out of Contreras and I remember a point in the year where I wanted him gone. He was frustrating as hell to watch before he turned the corner in June or July.

IMO, that rotation was two good pitchers with two mediocre pitchers and a question mark in el Duque.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 11:47 AM)
Eh, the starting rotation was pretty damn good actually. Garcia was a very good pitcher up until that point and Contreras had clearly turned the proverbial corner. If he had not got injured in 06, he was proving to be just as dominant. The only pitcher that imo pitched in the rotation who was better than he probably should have been was Jon Garland.

I believe it was 2007 when Contreras got hurt and ended his hot streak.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 05:42 PM)
A healthy Frank would have definitely made that lineup dangerous. But the pitching staff overachieving was the main reason that team won 99 games and won the WS.

When Frank came back into the lineup in June, didn't the Sox go like 14 - 5 with him as the DH? He slugged 5 HRs I think in that streak and just really propelled the Sox to that double digit lead (Which later was so valuable until JOE! CREDE! rescued them in Sept).

If Frank stayed healthy through the playoffs, i think the Sox would have gone undefeated in the playoffs with the way the pitching staff just dominated everything.

It was a game at Cincy in late May or early June that 2006 that Contreras lost the winning streak AND hurt himself.

Was never the same (with the White Sox) after that. Seems he really struggled with arm angles and location from that point on....and he lost confidence in the fastball, which kept too much pressure on his forkball, which was consistently erratic. Didn't he always lead the league in passed balls while he was with us? It's pretty amazing what he could do with just two pitches.

Same with Edwin Jackson when he's right. Which hasn't been very often.

I still remember the last out -- grounder to Uribe at SS, and he throws it in the dirt. PK picked it up routinely. Konerko has been criticized for his defensive play, but I always liked him. He is still great at getting balls in the dirt. Underrated.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 10:52 PM)
I still remember the last out -- grounder to Uribe at SS, and he throws it in the dirt. PK picked it up routinely. Konerko has been criticized for his defensive play, but I always liked him. He is still great at getting balls in the dirt. Underrated.

Paulie doesn't have range, but he's got a good accurate arm and he saves quite a few errors. I don't think he's hurting us out there.