Here on out, what do you think should be done with Sale?

shlammajamma

While not completely out yet, the Sox are seemingly dropping out of the race for a division title. If they are completely out or admit to it and make changes, what do you think should be done with Sale? I'm hoping they send him to AA or AAA to start stretching out his arm and work on secondary pitches... I wasn't a fan of this bullpen experiment from the first place honestly, hopefully we didn't hurt another prospect by rushing him up so quickly.

Send him down and make him a starter the second half.

See how he does.

Or let him start second half with us after we deal Jackson or Jake gets hurt again.

Surely Sox will be trading Jackson after Detroit sweeps us and we're eight out.

Edited by greg775

They're going to have to do something different than what they've been doing so far. I like the idea of him starting eventually, but a current starting pitcher (or two) will have to be traded before that'll happen.

In a case like Sale, how long would it take him to adjust to starting?

At this point, there's only 2.5 months left in the season. Figure it'd take at least a month, month and a half to stretch him out to be a 6 inning pitcher, that means he gets what, 5 starts at the most?

We're so far into this "Experiment" that we might as well keep him in the bullpen, especially since he's actually been quite a bit more effective lately (someone correct me if that changed while I was traveling).

We should try to have him starting in the AFL if that's possible though.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 08:31 AM)
At this point, there's only 2.5 months left in the season. Figure it'd take at least a month, month and a half to stretch him out to be a 6 inning pitcher, that means he gets what, 5 starts at the most?

We're so far into this "Experiment" that we might as well keep him in the bullpen, especially since he's actually been quite a bit more effective lately (someone correct me if that changed while I was traveling).

We should try to have him starting in the AFL if that's possible though.

It would take about 3 starts, maybe 4.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 09:45 AM)
It would take about 3 starts, maybe 4.

I'd guess it would take a little longer than that, given all of the new things for him (age, his motion, etc.) I'd bet the most you'd get out of him is a month.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 08:57 AM)
I'd guess it would take a little longer than that, given all of the new things for him (age, his motion, etc.) I'd bet the most you'd get out of him is a month.

He is already maxed somewhere between 45-50 pitches. If you push that up 15-20 pitches per outing, which is how they would do it in spring training, it wouldn't be long at all.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 09:00 AM)
He is already maxed somewhere between 45-50 pitches. If you push that up 15-20 pitches per outing, which is how they would do it in spring training, it wouldn't be long at all.

It would take probably about three weeks (3-4) starts before he would be ready, but with six starters now there isn't really a rush to move him to the starting rotation. He should finish the season where he is, getting used to pitching in the majors and learning all he can each time he faces a guy, because the game is a whole lot different facing a guy one time after he has seen someone else than it is facing a guy who has already seen your stuff 2-3 times in the game.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 12:12 PM)
What does Sale prefer? Starting or relieving?

I believe he, like most pitchers, visualizes himself as a starter, as starters make a lot more $ typically. I hope like hell he he has it in him to be a starter for one key reason.

Clearly, we've had several quality starting pitchers over our recent history, as confirmed by the quality start stats, but no true ace since the decline of Contreras. Thus, the motivation behind the failed Peavy and Jackson trades. The idea is sound: pair one true ace with a group of high quality pitchers like MB, Danks, Humber, Floyd, etc. and you'll have a helluva staff.

More than any of the guys on our staff, or anyone who we're likely to acquire, Sale has the best chance, IMO, to become that ace.

Except you can't just magically move him into the rotation.

As noted earlier in the thread, it would be a 4-6 week process. No way he could go more than 3 innings, 3+ right now.

Santiago's already done that successfully. You can't take that risk with a Chris Sale of ramping his pitches up too quickly...not when you've already pushed Peavy too hard.

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 12:14 AM)
7 man rotation

I was told we also have to see how good Hector Santiago really is. I propose an 8 man rotation.

But seriously. This year has shown Chris Sale really is a pen arm. The "he should start" stuff was all a pipe dream.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 08:33 PM)
I was told we also have to see how good Hector Santiago really is. I propose an 8 man rotation.

But seriously. This year has shown Chris Sale really is a pen arm. The "he should start" stuff was all a pipe dream.

I dont know why this year has shown that. His biggest problem this year has been that he's struggled to get/ keep his release point, so he loses control. If he was throwing 100+ pitches a game he might well get that release point down. He never had these kind of control problems before moving to the pen.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 07:33 PM)

Next year's rotation

Buehrle-Humber-Danks-Peavy-Sale-Floyd-Santiago-Petricka.

Boom.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 06:33 PM)

What now?

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 06:54 PM)
Sale has been terrific lately. He's even showing a decent change. Why would we limit him at this point?

His change has been real solid. He has 3 plus MLB pitches, there is absolutely no reason why he can't be a very good big league starter.