Mac vs. PC

hogan873

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 04:08 PM)
Technically, a Mac is a PC, same hardware.

Using Windows vs OSX is merely a difference in operating systems.

I've been thinking about putting OS X on my netbook. The WiFi not working is kind of a buzz kill though.

Edited by chw42

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 08:58 AM)
Pretty much. Many organizations are JUST starting the switch.

It's especially hard for big corporations to do it. Not only because they have tens or hundreds of thousands of computers to deal with, but they also outsource all of their IT people.

I'm interning at Philips right now and they have one guy running all of IT in an office building with at least 300 people in it. All the computers are on XP, which is a huge bummer.

I interned at another company last year and they're only about 250 strong. But I think they've been on Windows 7 since the platform came out. It all depends on the company size and how easily they can do the upgrade.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 16, 2011 -> 11:01 AM)
It's especially hard for big corporations to do it. Not only because they have tens or hundreds of thousands of computers to deal with, but they also outsource all of their IT people.

I'm interning at Philips right now and they have one guy running all of IT in an office building with at least 300 people in it. All the computers are on XP, which is a huge bummer.

I interned at another company last year and they're only about 250 strong. But I think they've been on Windows 7 since the platform came out. It all depends on the company size and how easily they can do the upgrade.

Not all corporations outsource IT people. I only know of a few large ones in Illinois that do and most have them in house.

And I would say the "switch" over is because of many reasons. The corp culture, the legacy applications and also what advantage does it give their actual users. Companies like CDW who are tech sales organizations made a switch very early because they not only beta tested windows 7, but they get a great discount and their users are all technical savvy. I saw companies like Northern trust switch slowly as a piece meal because some of their legacy back office apps werent fully tested on the new platform until it had been out a long time. Even so they still have users on different versions.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 16, 2011 -> 11:58 AM)
Not all corporations outsource IT people. I only know of a few large ones in Illinois that do and most have them in house.

And I would say the "switch" over is because of many reasons. The corp culture, the legacy applications and also what advantage does it give their actual users. Companies like CDW who are tech sales organizations made a switch very early because they not only beta tested windows 7, but they get a great discount and their users are all technical savvy. I saw companies like Northern trust switch slowly as a piece meal because some of their legacy back office apps werent fully tested on the new platform until it had been out a long time. Even so they still have users on different versions.

I work for Blue Cross, we outsource nobody. For many large corporations, outsourcing has backfired on them due to poor customer service that usually goes hand in hand with outsourcing, etc...while the upfront savings was huge, the loss of customer base in drove ended up costing them more money than they saved.

Good, I say. Companies like Dell that made me talk to unskilled Indian after unskilled Indian who could barely be understood cost them a customer for life, not to mention the companies I've since swapped AWAY from Dell products due to that extended -- and very poor -- experience. While outsourcing CAN be a beneficial thing, if done properly, blanket outsourcing simply to save money is and always will be a mistake. There is something to be said for paying for skill and top notch service...none of which you will find outsourcing.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 16, 2011 -> 12:36 PM)
I work for Blue Cross, we outsource nobody. For many large corporations, outsourcing has backfired on them due to poor customer service that usually goes hand in hand with outsourcing, etc...while the upfront savings was huge, the loss of customer base in drove ended up costing them more money than they saved.

Good, I say. Companies like Dell that made me talk to unskilled Indian after unskilled Indian who could barely be understood cost them a customer for life, not to mention the companies I've since swapped AWAY from Dell products due to that extended -- and very poor -- experience. While outsourcing CAN be a beneficial thing, if done properly, blanket outsourcing simply to save money is and always will be a mistake. There is something to be said for paying for skill and top notch service...none of which you will find outsourcing.

I agree with outsourcing things like coding and QA. But you still need internal folks to do testing and core IT work. I've seen large outsourced companies now adopt a "mixed" philosophy and the cost savings are there, and their service has improved.