Bin Laden's target list

southsider2k5

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/osama-hit-li...ory?id=14075735

U.S. officials say that Osama Bin Laden wanted to assemble a team to attack America on the tenth anniversary of 9/11, and had a hit list that included President Obama, General David Petraeus and a major U.S. sporting event.

The hit list was discovered in the "treasure trove" of information seized from Osama bin Laden's Pakistan compound after the Navy SEAL raid that killed him in May. Officials say he was intent on an attack on the upcoming 10th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 attacks, though the plot was only in the "discussion phase." He also remained obsessed with using aircraft to kill.

Officials tell ABC News that bin Laden wanted to fly a small plane into a sporting event to cause mass casualties.

"We have so many small airports, you could fly below radar," said Brad Garrett, former FBI special agent and now an ABC News consultant. "That's possibly doable.'

The primary target on bin Laden's hit list was President Obama. Officials tell ABC News that bin Laden was trying to hatch a plan to kill President Obama by shooting down Air Force One or Marine One, the president's plane and helicopter.

Bin Laden hoped to kill General Petraeus, commander of forces in Afghanistan and soon to be CIA director the same way, either in a helicopter or fixed wing airplane with a missile or rocket propelled grenade.

Investigators do not believe the planning got very far, and both President Obama and General Petraeus have countermeasures on their aircraft that would make them tough targets. Said Garrett, "It's difficult, but not impossible, to shoot down either General Petraeus or the president's plane. But the reality is because of the countermeasures and other planes and helicopters in the air, it's not a likely scenario."

So, to me this just goes to show that 9/11 was a fluke and Al Qaeda doesn't really have the proper resources to do anything like this again. If his next big plan was to go after Air Force One...well, good luck to them.

I could potentially see the issue with small planes flying under radar, but wasn't that sort of the big security breach that was involved with 9/11? That a lot of those guys got trained at small airports in smaller planes? I thought at some point the rules for getting a flying license changed.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 10:16 AM)
I could potentially see the issue with small planes flying under radar, but wasn't that sort of the big security breach that was involved with 9/11? That a lot of those guys got trained at small airports in smaller planes? I thought at some point the rules for getting a flying license changed.

Haven't we already seen 2 cases of pilots of smaller planes crashing those planes into buildings? I know there was a guy in Texas about 5 years ago and I'm vaguely remembering a different one involving a younger pilot. Neither of those planes had explosives or anything that would supplement the impact's force on the plane.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 09:18 AM)
Haven't we already seen 2 cases of pilots of smaller planes crashing those planes into buildings? I know there was a guy in Texas about 5 years ago and I'm vaguely remembering a different one involving a younger pilot. Neither of those planes had explosives or anything that would supplement the impact's force on the plane.

I guess I don't remember those.

Texas guy was last year

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/02/18/pilot...ti-irs-suicide/

also the airport in vieques has zero security screening. They're only prop planes, but you could still plow them into an office building or hotel in San Juan. Hell, my wife was in the co-pilot's seat, could easily have crashed the plane.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 10:24 AM)

Ok, I got them half crossed up, the Florida one was 2002, that was a 15 year old stealing the plane and crashing it into a building in Tampa.

But that's at least 2 cases, one recent, making it seem that this sort of attack is plausible.

Cory Lidle? That was an accident though.

Edited by LittleHurt05

That sounds more like a wish list than any actual plans. I mean of course he wants to kill the POTUS, what enemy of America doesn't? But to actually try and DO it, yeah you will get f***ing owned really bad.