Smartphone Advice

chw42

I'm currently on a contract with T-Mobile and I'm a year away from any kind of upgrade, so unlocked or no-contract phone are my only options right now. I'm also on a $200 budget and I'm looking strictly for Android phones.

So I'm looking at three phones right now.

HTC myTouch 3G - $180. Kind of old (this is the revised version from a year and a half ago).

LG Optimus 540GT - $120 (from Amazon). A bit newer, has good reviews.

LG Optimus T - $160 (from T-Mobile), won't be unlocked, newer version of the GT540.

I'm leaning heavily towards either the Optimus T or the myTouch, as both are similarly priced. I would like to get the Optimus 540GT since it's a nice bang for the buck, but that thing has a resistive screen and I've had some terrible experiences with those.

I have never owned an Android phone and I would love to get some advice from those that have owned Android phones. It would be especially awesome if you've owned any of the above phones before, especially the Optimus GT540. Because the resistive screen is the only thing keeping me from buying that right now and I'd like to know if it's an issue.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 09:39 PM)
I'm currently on a contract with T-Mobile and I'm a year away from any kind of upgrade, so unlocked or no-contract phone are my only options right now. I'm also on a $200 budget and I'm looking strictly for Android phones.

So I'm looking at three phones right now.

HTC myTouch 3G - $180. Kind of old (this is the revised version from a year and a half ago).

LG Optimus 540GT - $120 (from Amazon). A bit newer, has good reviews.

LG Optimus T - $160 (from T-Mobile), won't be unlocked, newer version of the GT540.

I'm leaning heavily towards either the Optimus T or the myTouch, as both are similarly priced. I would like to get the Optimus 540GT since it's a nice bang for the buck, but that thing has a resistive screen and I've had some terrible experiences with those.

I have never owned an Android phone and I would love to get some advice from those that have owned Android phones. It would be especially awesome if you've owned any of the above phones before, especially the Optimus GT540. Because the resistive screen is the only thing keeping me from buying that right now and I'd like to know if it's an issue.

This is always the burning question with Android devices, since there are so many.

If you can, you want to wait on the Samsung Galaxy S II, but who knows when/if they'll release it in the US.

There are a lot of questions when it comes to Android phones, from carrier support (I know Google thinks they'll be able to "force" carriers into supporting their devices for 18 months, but they have no legal means to enforce this), and since it's carriers that have to upgrade the software for any non-Google branded devices, it could literally be 18 months between updates.

Hacking? Do you plan on basically jailbreaking it and installing a custom rom on it? If so, you can ignore carrier support, but you'll be supporting the device on your own at that point.

Screen size...how big do you want it? Some Android devices are obscenely big unless you're a Sasquatch like BigSqwert. :D

Battery life...this is a major concern for most factory Androids -- people hack these devices because the roms available will literally double your effective battery life.

Last but not least, the big 4G question. And I'm not talking about fake 4G, which is what T-Mobile borderline illegally advertises...since T-Mobile has NO such 4G network. At the moment, I tell people avoid 4G. The chipsets powering 4G LTE networks are in their first generation/infancy, they're power hungry and big, forcing handsets to be larger than necessary. I say wait until the next generation of 4G chips gets released, they're 1/2 the size and about 80% better in terms of power consumption. Also, with carriers advertising their huge 4g networks, but bandwidth capping people at arbitrary levels such as 2 gigs...it really renders any speed advantages of 4g almost null and void since you can literally burn through 2 gigs of cap in a day.

Also, in terms of data speed, if you are anything like me you'll find yourself connected to vastly faster WiFi networks 99% of the time anyway, which consume about 99% less battery life, and are far more stable.

Last but not least, BigSqwert is a good person to ask about Androids around here, since I'm devoutly in the Apple camp. ;)

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 16, 2011 -> 08:21 AM)
This is always the burning question with Android devices, since there are so many.

If you can, you want to wait on the Samsung Galaxy S II, but who knows when/if they'll release it in the US.

There are a lot of questions when it comes to Android phones, from carrier support (I know Google thinks they'll be able to "force" carriers into supporting their devices for 18 months, but they have no legal means to enforce this), and since it's carriers that have to upgrade the software for any non-Google branded devices, it could literally be 18 months between updates.

Hacking? Do you plan on basically jailbreaking it and installing a custom rom on it? If so, you can ignore carrier support, but you'll be supporting the device on your own at that point.

Screen size...how big do you want it? Some Android devices are obscenely big unless you're a Sasquatch like BigSqwert. :D

Battery life...this is a major concern for most factory Androids -- people hack these devices because the roms available will literally double your effective battery life.

Last but not least, the big 4G question. And I'm not talking about fake 4G, which is what T-Mobile borderline illegally advertises...since T-Mobile has NO such 4G network. At the moment, I tell people avoid 4G. The chipsets powering 4G LTE networks are in their first generation/infancy, they're power hungry and big, forcing handsets to be larger than necessary. I say wait until the next generation of 4G chips gets released, they're 1/2 the size and about 80% better in terms of power consumption. Also, with carriers advertising their huge 4g networks, but bandwidth capping people at arbitrary levels such as 2 gigs...it really renders any speed advantages of 4g almost null and void since you can literally burn through 2 gigs of cap in a day.

Also, in terms of data speed, if you are anything like me you'll find yourself connected to vastly faster WiFi networks 99% of the time anyway, which consume about 99% less battery life, and are far more stable.

Last but not least, BigSqwert is a good person to ask about Androids around here, since I'm devoutly in the Apple camp. ;)

I'll be rooting it. I hack all my devices. Part of the reason I want an Android is so I can play around with the OS.

All the phones I'm looking at have 3 - 3.2 inch screens. I'm personally not a fan of 4 inch screens since they have a hard time fitting in your pocket, although they do look nice.

I don't even have a data plan at the moment, so I'm just thinking of going WiFi.

Edited by chw42

After looking through some more stuff, I ordered the Optimus T.

Thanks for influencing my decision SoxTalk ads. :lolhitting

If you haven't noticed, there's an Optimus T ad running on the top banner every other refresh.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 09:00 AM)
I go bareback.

Agreed.

Phone cases, unless for a holster for carrying on a belt, are totally useless to me.

These phones are often beautiful, and nice to hold/feel. Covering a sleek device, turning it into a monstrosity in order to "protect" it, when you can't see what's being "protected" makes no sense to me. Use the phone as is, and after it has a year of wear and tear on it, THEN cover it up with a bulky case where you can no longer see the phone (or the scratches you've added from use).

Phones are often replaced after 12-18 months of use anyway, why do you care if your phone is brand new looking UNDER A CASE, when nobody can see it since it's covered in the first place? :D

I'm liking my Optimus so far. I've been doing nothing but flashing ROMs on it the past few days. Still trying to find one that works 100% and doesn't suck. The first ROM I flashed got rid of everything (even the music player...).

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 01:25 PM)
I'm liking my Optimus so far. I've been doing nothing but flashing ROMs on it the past few days. Still trying to find one that works 100% and doesn't suck. The first ROM I flashed got rid of everything (even the music player...).

Cyanogen 7 available for that device?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 01:36 PM)
Cyanogen 7 available for that device?

I ran a couple of CM7 roms. Didn't like it. I'm on a custom kernel on the new 2.3 baseband with a partially customized stock ROM. I'm waiting for CM to get ported to the new baseband.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 09:52 AM)
Just got the Sensation. Do you guys prefer a hard or soft case for your phones?

How do you like it? And which network are you on? I was looking at this one for my next phone.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 04:46 PM)
I ran a couple of CM7 roms. Didn't like it. I'm on a custom kernel on the new 2.3 baseband with a partially customized stock ROM. I'm waiting for CM to get ported to the new baseband.

What do you mean by the bolded? CM7 is 2.3.4. At least the version I'm running.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
What do you mean by the bolded? CM7 is 2.3.4. At least the version I'm running.

For my phone, CM7 is on the old baseband. Somebody has to port it for the new baseband in order for me to use CM7 on the baseband I'm currently on.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 09:25 AM)
The 5 minutes or so to take the built-in swype tutorial is invaluable.

That thing's actually worth your time?

After finding out my USB won't unmount and my Wifi keeps dropping on this kernel, I'm seriously considering going back to CM7 and re-flashing my old baseband. The grass wasn't so green on the other side this time. :(

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 09:51 AM)
T Mobile annoys me with their fake ass borderline illegal advertising campaigns about their nations "biggest 4G network".

f***ing posers.

Well technically its their 4th generation network, so they arent "really" lying.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 09:57 AM)
Well technically its their 4th generation network, so they arent "really" lying.

They're not saying it's their 4th generation network, they're saying it's a 4G network, as defined by the ITU/IEEE. TMobile has a HSDPA network, which is 3G. They're purposefully distorting the truth, so f*** them for helping muddy the waters and further confusing consumers.