AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

Two very well-played games to start the 2nd half.

Jackson was excellent, pitched from ahead in the count with a lot of first pitch strikes. 4th career CG, and a shutout. Still throwing 96-98 MPH in the last inning. Increased his trade value exponentially there. Am really looking forward to see if he can sustain it against the Indians in what is setting up as a huge series.

Pierre is now our most consistent hitter, after Konerko. Nice to see him running again, even though he was very fortunate not to be thrown out both times. Maybe he'll start to get his confidence back on the basepaths. Nice to see the WHite Sox much more aggressive on the basepaths and taking the game to the opponent...forcing them to make mistakes and exerting pressure on the opposing pitcher.

Quentin breaks his homerless streak dating back to the first week of May. Nice to see him hitting singles and doubles.

Beckham has really turned it on.

Instead of down, back and around...he took the Valverde pitch directly in natural swing path to 2B/RF. Nice to see that he made the adjustment.

Now you start worrying that the bullpen hasn't been getting ENOUGH work coming out of the Break. But a great problem to have. We're going to need them coming down the stretch.

As someone mentioned, we saw this with the Red Sox and Yankees series, where they played well but didn't sustain it. Personally, I wasn't sure if they could recover from that 2-5 run at home against the Royals and Twins but they've surprised me.

Edited by caulfield12

Yeah, that's the key for Jackson.

First pitch strikes, keep the pitch count down, work as quickly as possible. I think the largest problem was Edwin hasn't been able to command his offspeed stuff for 6 weeks.

He has been taking a long time first/second/third-guessing pitch selection when he doesn't feel confident in his entire arsenal. After the early innings, he just got into that rhythm where you really felt he was going to get a complete game, especially after stranding runners on 2nd and 3rd against Carlos Guillen when they had the opportunity to tie there.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 16, 2011 -> 05:07 PM)
He pitched like Buehrle today. He got ahead, kept the game moving, and pitched to contact.

You're right. Scattering 9 hits, only two K's, and 9 innings in 101 pitches. Downright Buehrlesque.

I noticed Quentin's gone back to the single toe tap on his swing. I think wite had a post earlier in the year detailing that - about how he's been successful with it. He went away from it during the 100 AB streak where he didn't hit a home run and sucked. He really should just stick to the single toe tap as it looks like it's worked wonders.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 16, 2011 -> 06:07 PM)
He pitched like Buehrle today. He got ahead, kept the game moving, and pitched to contact.

Maybe this is what he should strive to do more of. Because when he doesn't have his good stuff and tries to blow hitters away, it usually doesn't do him too much good.

QUOTE (chiguy79 @ Jul 16, 2011 -> 08:42 PM)
Ozzie, lets not play the "Sunday" B Team tomorrow and try to actually get a sweep and some momentum....if you want to change the lineup lets pull Rios or Dunn.

Aside from AJ/Flowers, isn't pulling Rios and Dunn pretty much the normal "B team" lineup?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 17, 2011 -> 12:19 AM)
Glad my prediction has been wrong so far the second half.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 17, 2011 -> 01:15 AM)
I noticed Quentin's gone back to the single toe tap on his swing. I think wite had a post earlier in the year detailing that - about how he's been successful with it. He went away from it during the 100 AB streak where he didn't hit a home run and sucked. He really should just stick to the single toe tap as it looks like it's worked wonders.

QUOTE (chiguy79 @ Jul 17, 2011 -> 01:42 AM)
Ozzie, lets not play the "Sunday" B Team tomorrow and try to actually get a sweep and some momentum....if you want to change the lineup lets pull Rios or Dunn.

1.) Me too. I thought we'd suck and get swept. I feel new life; hope this is the real White Sox team.

2.) I remember that post you had earlier. You should get Quentin's email addy and remind him the minute you see him not doing it, or tell KW in an email to look for it.

3.) I agree. But if they sit Dunn and Rios that should be fine.

Amazing how much it helps when Becks and Pierre hit.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 16, 2011 -> 07:44 PM)
Aside from AJ/Flowers, isn't pulling Rios and Dunn pretty much the normal "B team" lineup?

Winning the 3rd game of a 3 game series where they have won the first 2 seems as difficult for the White Sox the past couple of years as trying to beat Minnesota, but I agree with you, pull Rios and Dunn. How much more of this does anyone have to see?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 17, 2011 -> 03:31 AM)
Winning the 3rd game of a 3 game series where they have won the first 2 seems as difficult for the White Sox the past couple of years as trying to beat Minnesota, but I agree with you, pull Rios and Dunn. How much more of this does anyone have to see?

It'd be nice to see Flowers get a few hits in his season "debut" with the Sox.

It looks like the big change so far this half of the season will be to let Teahen play against righties at third base.

After Morel's woes, I actually am fine with that for now. Maybe the two should platoon. No need to start Teahen vs. lefties.

Has he quietly returned to third base?