McKeon: "GUILLEN WOULD BE AN IDEAL FIT"

caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 09:26 AM)
Selig will surely make the fine for his buddy JR be surrendering either Hanley, LoMo or Josh Johnson for compensatory damages.

Wonder if this might be one of those things that gets done behind closed doors.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 08:26 AM)
Selig will surely make the fine for his buddy JR be surrendering either Hanley, LoMo or Josh Johnson for compensatory damages.

Really, it should be all three. But we will throw in Rios just to keep it on the up and up.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 17, 2011 -> 06:32 PM)
Yeah we're better off without the only guy to win a WS in Chicago since the dark ages.

We're better off with a guy Florida would do anything to get.

He'll have the last laugh as in about 30 years he'll probably still be the only manager to win a WS in Chicago since the dark ages.

p.s. It's Ozzie's fault that Dunn is a joke; Rios is a joke; Peavy is an albatross and the team couldn't get a clutch hit if the ball was put on a tee.

All you guys that think he's a buffoon because of certain pitching changes, bunting, not bunting, etc., will have the same complaints when we lose a game with our next manager. It's the nature of the game. blame the manager. And I agree with Wolf. KW better follow Ozzie to the curb when Oz takes the Florida job for next season.

And I'm not an Ozzie apologist. The right thing to do would have been to fire Ozzie in May after that horrific start. That start was inexcusable with our payroll. I still think he's a great manager, but he should have been fired then to kick-start his Florida career.

*sigh* Greg, Greg, Greg. I actually admire your support of Ozzie. You always back him up and make sometimes convincing arguments that he shouldn't be fired. But, today you followed up your support of him saying he should have been fired back in May. That, at least, is something most of us can agree upon.

As far as the argument that he's the only manager to get a championship for the Sox in years, we've got to stop comparing 2005 to every year since. That team was unique, and there are other managers besides Ozzie that could have led that team to a championship. In years since, there's been more talent on occassion (this year included), but nothing has happened with these teams. Some of that, maybe a lot of it, has to come back on the manager. Granted, KW has made some bad moves. But Ozzie has made a ton of bad in-game moves.

I still like KW better than Ozzie, but as time goes on I'm thinking both need to go. To me, however, a manager change needs to happen...soon. And as far as letting him kick-start his career with Florida? Who cares? I'm sure that KW and JR don't give a crap about Ozzie wanting to manage in Florida. I think they'd like him to manage here in Chicago since thats who pays him.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 17, 2011 -> 05:15 PM)
It's pretty obvious he will be their next manager. They want him and our fans want to run him out of town. Easy to figure. He'll be very popular in Florida.

And we will begin the 3-4 year cycle of managers again.

Who will be the first guinea pig to take the Sox job?

Popular with who in Miami? The mythical Cuban/American/Hispanic fanbase, that Luria has built his franchise around?

This would be worth it all by itself...

Morrison has made quite a name for himself with his opinionated Twitter feed and Guillen is no slouch himself when it comes to tweeting. Morrison joked that if Guillen were his manager he wouldn't have to ever speak with him face to face.

"Maybe we can just talk about strategy on Twitter," Morrison said. "Just be like, 'Who's throwing tomorrow, Ozzie? What were you thinking on that hit and run call?' Something like that. I don't know if Ozzie would be down with that, but ... he'd probably yell and tell me you're an idiot."

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 10:03 AM)
From here, it looks as if it is very important to Ozzie that he get paid for 2012 from Sox even if he manages Marlins.

I'm can't see an pro sports organization setting up a contract where you are still paying a manager who is working for another team.

QUOTE (Anderson Cooper's Quivering @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)
The Sox picked up his option for 2012. The option would have vested if the Sox won the division this season which is highly unlikely. If they hadn't picked up the option, he could have walked away.

If the Sox don't want Ozzie to stay, they sure as hell aren't acting like it.

Then again if they fire him they only have to pay for one year providing he doesn't manage for another team.

Hope Ozzie stays in Chitown with the Sox

My God, there's still some of you around here???

Yeah we're better off without the only guy to win a WS in Chicago since the dark ages.

greg... 2005 was 6 damn years ago. This is not 2005 anymore. This whole attitude that Ozzie is entitled to being here simply because of that title is entirely illogical. I don't know what it will take for you to understand this.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 11:34 AM)
I agree with McKeon, even if he's tampering. Ozzie in Miami would make two fanbases very happy, so somebody needs to get it done.

It's not tampering. People take words to the extreme. People in professional sports usually don't speak negative things of their counterparts. Did anyone expect McKeon to say, "Hell no! I've seen what he's done in Chicago. When I meant a good fit it had nothing to do with baseball. I was referring to the ethnic makeup of the state".

Edited by kitekrazy

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)
I agree with McKeon, even if he's tampering. Ozzie in Miami would make two fanbases very happy, so somebody needs to get it done.

Says who? Do we know that Marlins fans even want Ozzie? Is there even a Marlins fanbase? And not the entire Sox fanbase wants Ozzie gone anyway

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 12:17 PM)
Says who? Do we know that Marlins fans even want Ozzie? Is there even a Marlins fanbase? And not the entire Sox fanbase wants Ozzie gone anyway

Baseball is only popular in the Winter months in Florida anyway. I wonder if professional sports draw well in that state. My dad use to go down there after Christmas. Back when the Dolphins were good in the Marino era my dad walked up to the ticket window to buy playoff tickets on game day.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 06:17 PM)

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 06:57 PM)
Something very telling was the Tigers announcer saying on Fox on Saturday that "Ozzie Guillen to the Marlins after this season is the worst kept secret in baseball".

1.) I want him to stay. When all is said and done, he'll be the best manager we ever had. Sad he has to leave at this stage of his career. His best years are ahead of him. Basically players win games and his players have failed him this year. I wish him well in Florida.

2.) I think it's nowhere near a secret. It makes perfect sense. He's not appreciated in Chicago and a perfect fit for Florida. Bye bye Ozzie. Welcome Joey Cora. Don't discount Jerry merely promoting Joey. Hopefully the Sox will give the new manager an even better roster to work with and not guys like Dunn/Rios who really are buzzkill for a lineup.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 07:13 PM)
1.) I want him to stay. When all is said and done, he'll be the best manager we ever had. Sad he has to leave at this stage of his career. His best years are ahead of him. Basically players win games and his players have failed him this year. I wish him well in Florida.

2.) I think it's nowhere near a secret. It makes perfect sense. He's not appreciated in Chicago and a perfect fit for Florida. Bye bye Ozzie. Welcome Joey Cora. Don't discount Jerry merely promoting Joey. Hopefully the Sox will give the new manager an even better roster to work with and not guys like Dunn/Rios who really are buzzkill for a lineup.

And you say you're not an Ozzie apologist? If you want to start talking about having a good or bad roster, it's very doubtful the Sox will ever have anything close to as loaded of a roster as we did in 2006 when Ozzie couldn't get the team into the playoffs.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 07:16 PM)
And you say you're not an Ozzie apologist? If you want to start talking about having a good or bad roster, it's very doubtful the Sox will ever have anything close to as loaded of a roster as we did in 2006 when Ozzie couldn't get the team into the playoffs.

Think about Ozzie's age and his resume.

It's a no brainer if you have a job opening you want Ozzie Guillen.

Think of all the experience he now possesses as a still young man.

He's the best candidate for the upcoming White Sox vacancy and someday fans are going to shake their heads at the guys we had who followed Ozzie.

Cmon. His decisions may anger Internet fans.

There's a reason for his lousy lineups. Dunn bats fourth cause he's in the first year of a huge contract and he's Adam Dunn. I'd like him to bat seventh but I know why he's not there.

His use of the bullpen is fine. People freak out when the relievers fail him, but his moves are not much if any different from whomever his successor will be.

His bunting? Maybe he doesn't teach it properly, but his call for the bunt isn't out of the ordinary either. Our new manger will call for the bunt and drive people crazy when it doesn't work.

Cmon. On paper Ozzie Guillen is the best candidate to manage the White Sox. His replacement won't be any better. You really believe he will be?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 08:22 PM)
Think about Ozzie's age and his resume.

It's a no brainer if you have a job opening you want Ozzie Guillen.

Think of all the experience he now possesses as a still young man.

He's the best candidate for the upcoming White Sox vacancy and someday fans are going to shake their heads at the guys we had who followed Ozzie.

Cmon. His decisions may anger Internet fans.

There's a reason for his lousy lineups. Dunn bats fourth cause he's in the first year of a huge contract and he's Adam Dunn. I'd like him to bat seventh but I know why he's not there.

His use of the bullpen is fine. People freak out when the relievers fail him, but his moves are not much if any different from whomever his successor will be.

His bunting? Maybe he doesn't teach it properly, but his call for the bunt isn't out of the ordinary either. Our new manger will call for the bunt and drive people crazy when it doesn't work.

Cmon. On paper Ozzie Guillen is the best candidate to manage the White Sox. His replacement won't be any better. You really believe he will be?

You have absolutely no proof that this is correct. Our next manager might be better, might be worse...but one thing I'm confident in saying is that Ozzie needs a change of scenery and the team needs a new voice at the top. Ozzie should do much better managing in the NL...and boy, he'll love slappy Bonafacio at the top of the order.