FutureSox Mid-Season Top 25 Prospects List Posted

NorthSideSox72

Generally I like the list, although I agree that it is an uninspiring collection of players.

One guy I would put higher is Phegley.

I don't think Flowers has much of a future, so Phegley will get the next call.

Would probably move Kuhn up several spots, too.

he's hitting .373 in the middle of July.

If they're smart they'll make a spot for him as a super utility guy. Doesn't have the power of Lillibridge, but he appears to be a better hitter or at least a hitter who understands who he is and doesn't swing for the fences. That's rare in the Sox system.

Kuhn should be a White Sox piranah.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jul 17, 2011 -> 05:36 PM)
Would probably move Kuhn up several spots, too.

he's hitting .373 in the middle of July.

If they're smart they'll make a spot for him as a super utility guy. Doesn't have the power of Lillibridge, but he appears to be a better hitter or at least a hitter who understands who he is and doesn't swing for the fences. That's rare in the Sox system.

Kuhn should be a White Sox piranah.

Kuhn is in a love/hate spot it seems. His short Charlotte stint didn't help things (though we voted before most of it), but it's hard to put a guy who most view as a bench player in the top 15.

In fairness though, I don't see a lot of Major League regulars on the list. It's Viciedo, Reed and a bunch of low upside or high bust rate prospects. My own list changed quite a bit from the one at the end of last year and I have a feeling that will happen again at the end of this year. A lot of interchangeable parts after the first 15 or so.

I'd be curious to see other people's prospect rankings just to see where people stand on certain guys.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 17, 2011 -> 08:37 PM)
I hate that Reed is ranked second. That is not insulting the list but rather how thin the system is. I can't really argue with the list at all except maybe Escobar. I really can't seem him hitting enough to be a starting MLB player.

Not a fan of it either, and rather disagree with it. Unless your the second comming of Mariano, I can't put a reliever that high on any prospect list no matter how thin the system is. I personally would rank Jared ahead of him, based off potential. He's had one bad year comming off surgery and not playing for a year. That should not all of a sudden drop him from guys like Petricka (who hasn't had a good year either) or Reed or even Trayce. (and I'm probably the highest on Trayce than anyone here) IMO, Rienzo is too low as well (so is Short, Santiago) and I'd put Walker at the top 5 based on tools alone. I agree with Kuhn though. Don't think he projects more than a utility player down the road based on scout reports.

Edited by SoxAce

Reed is a sure fire Major Leaguer in my eyes though. I'd say the guys after him and Viciedo are less than 50% to have a multi-year Major League career.

I don't really care for Mitchell (relatively) due to contact issues. Thompson is younger and has shown improvement in his game.

I used to really like Rienzo, but I don't see him staying as a starter. I view him as a reliever so it's hard to put him in the top 10. I had him at 10, but 4 of the other 5 voters had him outside the top 10.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 17, 2011 -> 11:44 PM)
Reed is a sure fire Major Leaguer in my eyes though. I'd say the guys after him and Viciedo are less than 50% to have a multi-year Major League career.

So now you guys are basing this off prospects who can/could make the majors with limited upside (not saying that is Reed necessarily) than prospects with the highest potential who can/could bust? And yea, you know I wasn't a fan of Mitchell (or the pick of him) at the time anyways Dan (like the tools, but was very risky for a 1st rounder).

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 12:02 AM)
So now you guys are basing this off prospects who can/could make the majors with limited upside (not saying that is Reed necessarily) than prospects with the highest potential who can/could bust?

I have no idea what this sentence means, but I don't view Reed as a 'can make the Majors' type. I view him as a lock to have a solid Major League career.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 12:02 AM)
So now you guys are basing this off prospects who can/could make the majors with limited upside (not saying that is Reed necessarily) than prospects with the highest potential who can/could bust? And yea, you know I wasn't a fan of Mitchell (or the pick of him) at the time anyways Dan (like the tools, but was very risky for a 1st rounder).

It is now, and has always been, a balance. A player like Mitchell has a much lower % shot at making it to a decent major league career at all, but if he does, he will have more value. Reed is almost assuredly going to have one, but as you said, he's a reliever. The list is not all about ultimate upside, nor is it all about chances of making it. It is both.

I would love to see Phegley, Blanke, Gonzalez or the kid from Pitt (Smith?) at least give us one decent catcher out of the group.

I don't see many other position players, although I try to remain optimistic by remembering that Morel, ARam and Beckham are all young.

We desperately need one young outfielder to come on.

We had Hudson and Gio for the rotation.

But Kenny had a better idea.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 08:02 PM)
I would love to see Phegley, Blanke, Gonzalez or the kid from Pitt (Smith?) at least give us one decent catcher out of the group.

I don't see many other position players, although I try to remain optimistic by remembering that Morel, ARam and Beckham are all young.

We desperately need one young outfielder to come on.

We had Hudson and Gio for the rotation.

But Kenny had a better idea.

Phegly will never be more than organization depth, IMO. Gonzalez has really struggled to adjust. Blanke hasn't been able to produce against stiffer competition. And Smith, despite my adoration for him, is still only in Rookie Ball. None of our catchers right now profile to be anything more than backups.

Now that could change, but right now, that's what it looks like.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 08:14 PM)
Phegly will never be more than organization depth, IMO. Gonzalez has really struggled to adjust. Blanke hasn't been able to produce against stiffer competition. And Smith, despite my adoration for him, is still only in Rookie Ball. None of our catchers right now profile to be anything more than backups.

Now that could change, but right now, that's what it looks like.

Yeah I agree. That's why Gonzalez and Phegley aren't in the top 25 and Flowers dropped. Most people are more optimistic about Flowers' bat this year, but I think the Ks don't make him any different than Dallas McPherson.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 09:40 AM)
What do you guys think of Pitcher Ryan Kussmaul at W-Salem?

I know nothing about his stuff, I haven't read any scouting reports on him. He's a UDFA, a little old for his level at 24 in High A. Impressive numbers in most categories, somewhat similar to Remenowsky in terms of stats and background... though Kussmaul walks a few more batters and doesn't induce as many ground balls. But that K rate is very pretty.

Do you have any info on him to share?

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 01:29 PM)
I think Phegley will surprise a lot of people. The negative reports on him are just the same as the negative reports on Viciedo...uninformed b***s***.

He's got a good arm and his thrown out rate shows that, but for argument's sake let's say he's a solid average defender...he's still not hitting enough even for a catcher. Also, I noticed that anywhere from 20-40 the guys seemed interchangeable. It becomes a matter of preference in player type at that point.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 02:48 PM)
He's got a good arm and his thrown out rate shows that, but for argument's sake let's say he's a solid average defender...he's still not hitting enough even for a catcher. Also, I noticed that anywhere from 20-40 the guys seemed interchangeable. It becomes a matter of preference in player type at that point.

When I read that statement comparing Phegley and Viciedo, I assumed it was talking about his bat development. Viciedo's bat wasn't there at all his first year, it wasn't until last year that his bat really started picking up to good levels. With Phegley missing nearly all of last year, I can see why he could get lumped into that boat. Hopefully this means JPN really likes his bat.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 01:29 PM)
I think Phegley will surprise a lot of people. The negative reports on him are just the same as the negative reports on Viciedo...uninformed b***s***.

I didn't get the Viciedo hate in the first place. The guy was away from home for the first time in his life, and in a place where he didn't speak the language or understand the culture. He was 20 for god's sake. He had a lot of adjusting to do without having all of the off of the field things to go through.