FutureSox Mid-Season Top 25 Prospects List Posted

NorthSideSox72

Kevin_Goldstein Kevin Goldstein

Derisory. RT @ProfessorFog: @Kevin_Goldstein How would you describe Josh Phegley's defense?

19 Jul Favorite Retweet Reply

For clarity's sake:

Derisory: Laughably small or inadequate; derisive; laughable; ridiculous

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 03:32 PM)
I didn't get the Viciedo hate in the first place. The guy was away from home for the first time in his life, and in a place where he didn't speak the language or understand the culture. He was 20 for god's sake. He had a lot of adjusting to do without having all of the off of the field things to go through.

When a guy gets compared to Miguel Cabrera coming in, and he winds up with an OPS in the .700's, there are going to be people rushing to that judgement.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 02:48 PM)
When a guy gets compared to Miguel Cabrera coming in, and he winds up with an OPS in the .700's, there are going to be people rushing to that judgement.

It doesn't make it intelligent. But then again I'll never get the race to be first to win at predicting failure.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 03:52 PM)
It doesn't make it intelligent. But then again I'll never get the race to be first to win at predicting failure.

It's not hard to figure out...if there's no downside to being regularly wrong and a large reward for being right, then you rush to judgment as quickly as you can.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 02:54 PM)
It's not hard to figure out...if there's no downside to being regularly wrong and a large reward for being right, then you rush to judgment as quickly as you can.

Apparently being regularly wrong is a good thing now. I guess that explains a lot doesn't it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 02:21 PM)
When I read that statement comparing Phegley and Viciedo, I assumed it was talking about his bat development. Viciedo's bat wasn't there at all his first year, it wasn't until last year that his bat really started picking up to good levels. With Phegley missing nearly all of last year, I can see why he could get lumped into that boat. Hopefully this means JPN really likes his bat.

I do like his power, it's surprising. My statement about him and Viciedo was that people had nothing but negatives to say about him when the facts are that they were both doing well and improving. Phegley's batting average definitely needs work, but so far he's done well in AAA. My main point about Phegley is that if he's well liked by the pitchers in the system, then as long as he can bring a .250 average at the big league level, with some power, then he'll have a long career. All around the league, there are starting catchers who aren't exactly offensive forces. But, the pitchers like them. Carlos Ruiz isn't the starter for Philly because he tears the cover off the ball.

I wasn't aware Kevin Goldstein had spent so much time in my hometown watching Barons games since last summer. I'm seriously getting tired of reading people make these negative statements about Phegley's defense when they haven't seen him enough to make even a flash evaluation. He needs work on passed balls, blocking in the dirt, period. His defense isn't anywhere near a concern or worrisome. I know I'm not a professional scout, but I'm not blind and mentally handicapped either. I know baseball. I'd like to know how many games Goldstein has seen Phegley play. I doubt it's as many as I have.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 03:24 PM)
I wasn't aware Kevin Goldstein had spent so much time in my hometown watching Barons games since last summer. I'm seriously getting tired of reading people make these negative statements about Phegley's defense when they haven't seen him enough to make even a flash evaluation. He needs work on passed balls, blocking in the dirt, period. His defense isn't anywhere near a concern or worrisome. I know I'm not a professional scout, but I'm not blind and mentally handicapped either. I know baseball. I'd like to know how many games Goldstein has seen Phegley play. I doubt it's as many as I have.

In fairness, these prospect guys are following 1,000 players. There's no way they can do anything, but go off flash evaluations and listen to what scouts tell them.