7/18 Games

flavum

Only a few games, but Phegley holding his own in AAA so far.

My AAP Remenowsky putting up unusual numbers for him. 1:1 K:BB ratio, striking out less than a guy an inning... but, hitters aren't hitting him either. I wonder if they have him working on something that is changing his approach, or if the hitters are that different, or what.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 10:52 PM)
Only a few games, but Phegley holding his own in AAA so far.

My AAP Remenowsky putting up unusual numbers for him. 1:1 K:BB ratio, striking out less than a guy an inning... but, hitters aren't hitting him either. I wonder if they have him working on something that is changing his approach, or if the hitters are that different, or what.

I wish Phegley was actually a decent catcher. By all accounts he's pretty awful behind the plate.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 12:38 AM)
I wish Phegley was actually a decent catcher. By all accounts he's pretty awful behind the plate.

No he's not. He did well from what I saw of him. The only concern would be passed balls, but that's easy to work on. The pitchers seem to like his game calling.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 08:23 AM)
Bothered by this though...I'd have said the same about Infante last year.

I don't see any similarities between them, other than they are relievers. Different pitchers, different histories, different movement through the system.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 09:28 AM)
I don't see any similarities between them, other than they are relievers. Different pitchers, different histories, different movement through the system.

I feel like we have a history of guys getting to the AAA level, stalling/struggling when they first get called up, then winding up having success with other franchises.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 01:35 AM)
No he's not. He did well from what I saw of him. The only concern would be passed balls, but that's easy to work on. The pitchers seem to like his game calling.

I haven't heard many scouts that think Phegley will be able to remain at catcher. His defense has been the knock since drafted. Though of course it doesn't really matter if he continues to not hit.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 09:02 AM)
I haven't heard many scouts that think Phegley will be able to remain at catcher. His defense has been the knock since drafted. Though of course it doesn't really matter if he continues to not hit.

I don't know much about Sabermetrics, but even I know you don't live and die by scouting info this day and age. Did you just completely ignore what I wrote? I'll make it more simple...pitchers like throwing to him, he calls a good game. I have watched him play a lot and I haven't been overly concerned about what I saw.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 08:28 AM)

Agreed. Not really comparable. Reed has much better control... and as a result is putting up some sick numbers.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 12:27 PM)
I don't know much about Sabermetrics, but even I know you don't live and die by scouting info this day and age. Did you just completely ignore what I wrote? I'll make it more simple...pitchers like throwing to him, he calls a good game. I have watched him play a lot and I haven't been overly concerned about what I saw.

I certainly read what you wrote. I just don't put much stock in it.

Generalized statements such as "pitchers like throwing to him" do not negate his defensive faults.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 11:27 AM)
Agreed. Not really comparable. Reed has much better control... and as a result is putting up some sick numbers.

Reed's studliness really should circumvent any crazy trade for a RH reliever. He's on a rocket, and might get here before September even. And if he's not perfect right off the bat, well, hopefully we learned a lesson from last year's evaluation of Huddy.

I'd guess that the info that puts us in the mix for HBell, etc. is a few weeks old, and began before the pen really solidified for us.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)
I certainly read what you wrote. I just don't put much stock in it.

Generalized statements such as "pitchers like throwing to him" do not negate his defensive faults.

It matters to the organization. Teams want a catcher who works well with pitchers, that's what most important from the catching position.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 12:27 PM)

You also thought dayan would stay at 3rd base if he got glasses. sorry, ill take a profession scouts opinion.

QUOTE (shlammajamma @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 01:00 PM)
You also thought dayan would stay at 3rd base if he got glasses. sorry, ill take a profession scouts opinion.

I didn't think he'd do well as an outfielder, but I was wrong. I also said corrective lenses, and he may be wearing contact lenses. Of course, his bat is his biggest draw, so his position is irrelevant.

Edited by JPN366

I simply drew the obvious conclusion from seeing a guy have trouble catching flyballs in the infield. Didn't exactly scream future adequate outfielder with good vision. He never made any boneheaded errors at third.

Fyi, JPN has seen these guys play on a daily basis. The people writing the scouting reports come down for a weekend series if that and make that statement, most of it just restating what they knew about the kid from the draft than what they actually see with their eyes.